Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Halloween in Del Rio

Halloween is one of my favorites holidays.  As I kid I always looked forward to going trick or treating even though I have never been much on eating candy...I usually ended up giving them to my mother.



When we lived in Austin, Texas my dad would take some of my friends and I to the Governors Mansion.  I can still see Governor Preston Smith in his polka dot tie with his butler by his side as he personally gave each of us our candy.




We never bothered with our own neighborhood, we went to where the wealthy lived and got lots of treats :)




Over the years I have noticed that more and more people are going out of their way to decorate their homes for this holiday.  Some even more so than at Christmas time.



Some seem to be in competition with their neighbors. I photographed these houses last week down North Main Street.  My night vision is not what it used to be so I can not come check it out in the evening, however I am willing to bet the light show must be a sight to behold.




Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. Neat pics. A couple of years ago I was in Comfort for Halloween and they did a lot of decorating there too. Have fun, I am heading to Del Rio as soon as they open the campgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comfort is such a great little town.

      Glad this ridiculous shutdown is over and everyone can get back to work. Hopefully the campgrounds will open tomorrow..

      Delete
  2. Great pictures, I enjoyed them. Some people really go way out!! Gov. Smith was way before I moved to Texas. Sometimes I believe that I have been a Texas all my life but didn't move here until 1980.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are correct about more decorations for Halloween than for Christmas with the anti-religious sentiment that now exists in the United States. I also notice that there is a bigger celebration of Cinco de Mayo than 4th of July since the anti-United States sentiment has taken hold in this country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While most Americans believe Cinco de Mayo is Mexican Independence Day...I would like to clarify that it is not. Mexico's independence is celebrated on the 16th of September...ever heard of people in the US celebrating on this date? I sure haven't!

      Cinco de Mayo was simply a battle that took place in Puebla and marked the defeat of the Mexicans over the better equipped French army. This is not even celebrated in Mexico!

      The first time I noticed the celebration was in the early 80's when stores in Houston and I would presume other cities nationwide started capitalizing on this date mainly for commercial reasons.

      I am Mexican-American and I never celebrate Cinco de Mayo...I celebrate the 4th of July as do all the people I know even those who are foreign born. I do not know where you live but at least in Del Rio and Houston I have not seen any anti- United States sentiment. If that were the case people would not be dying in the desert or drowning in the Rio Grande for a chance to live in this great country of ours.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.