Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, February 21, 2014

Bats, CT Scan, Ihop, Laundromat

Re-scheduled mother's appointment for yesterday Thursday, February 20th at 8:30 a.m.  We were on our way to the hospital around 7:10 a.m. when I saw this large flock of black birds but they flew funny. Since there was quite a bit of traffic, I ignored them.  When we got to the stop light a block from HEB another black flock of birds flew by...that is when I realized they were bats!

Unless it is a matter of vital importance you wont find me driving the streets of Del Rio at this early hour. Not only did I see bats heading south ( I suppose to Mexico) I saw an unusually large amount of black birds as well.  There were leafless trees covered with birds. It looked rather eerie...kind of like a scary Halloween movie.  All the way to the hospital we saw wave after wave of bats. My camera was in my purse in the backseat so was not able to take any pictures.

Even though the Radiology Department has someone there 24 hours, they do not open to the public until 8:00 a.m. at the same time that the business office opens so they can take your payment.  I always pre-register my mother to avoid the morning rush or surprises like down computers.

CT Scan room, now with a functional machine
We were the first ones there and they took mother for her CT Scan at 7:50 a.m. forty minutes before her scheduled appointment...that was a welcomed surprise!  As I was waiting for her I overheard other technicians saying that yesterday it was the CT Scan machine that was down and today it was the other machine.


I went next door to see if it was the MRI machine but no it wasn't it.  The time clock is across from the waiting area and what do you know, it was down as well!  Got to hear a couple of choice words being uttered as employees were trying to unsuccessfully clock in.

After her tests I asked her if she needed anything else from town before we headed back home.  I was so surprised when she told me she wanted to go to Ihop!  My mother is not much for restaurants and ever since they closed Luby's cafeteria she refuses to go to another eating establishment.  I hurried on to Ihop before she changed her mind....jajajajajaja :D


 I had already started eating before I remembered to take a picture.

Those red droplets are Tabasco Sauce

On our way home we passed the laundromat and there were only two cars in the parking lot. Dropped off mother and went back to tackle that dirty chore.  All in all got a lot accomplished yesterday that is why I decided to give myself the day off today.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

8 comments:

  1. You deserve the day off, especially having to be someplace so early in the morning. That looks like a lotta Tobasco to me, but I can't take it like I used to. That would be weird to see a lot of bats - usually I just notice one or two in summertime evenings looking for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last time I saw so many bats was when I was a kid and lived in Austin. I would go with my parents to see them come out from under the bridge on Congress Avenue.

      I have no idea if they have a cave in Del Rio and were headed that direction to sleep for the day or if they were migrating to Mexico.

      Delete
  2. Bats are one of those creatures that strike me as odd....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rather mysterious creatures.

      One of my all time favorite shows was "Dark Shadows" and I must admit since then I developed a fear of them that I did not get over until I was grown and realized all the good things they do for the environment...like eating mosquitoes.

      Delete
  3. I have a bat house put up, but never had bats. Would like to, they eat so many mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know there were bat houses...are they kind of like bird houses? Take a picture of it and post it on your blog would love to see one.

      I hate mosquitoes, would you believe we already have some? I don't know how that happened it is only February and we have not had any measurable rain.

      Delete
  4. Were any of them driving the Bat-Mobile? It does seem rather early to be seeing a lot of bats, but the weather has been strange this year. It has been unseasonably warm this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dizzy I tried to answer in the same box as your comment but it tells me " A Network change was detected" what the heck does that mean?

    Anyway...I don't remember the last time I saw a bat in Del Rio much less flocks of them. I am not familiar with their migration patterns.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.