Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Del Rio's Rotary Park

The severe thunderstorms that were predicted for last night thankfully did not materialize, we only had a little rain and wind.

Since I went to bed early I was wide awake by 4:30 a.m.  What is a girl to do at this ungodly hour?  Nothing...just unsuccessfully try to go back to sleep :-(

Gave up and decided to get up and wash last night dishes ( I hide them in one of my ice chests so I do not have to see them).  Was going to have cereal for breakfast but I did not have milk.  Main HEB does not open until 6:00 a.m. and besides I have poor night vision and had to wait for sunrise. Of course, I also had to do my morning chores before heading anywhere.

When I finally made my way into town...Main HEB was too packed...so I headed to little HEB.  Little HEB is located on Pecan Street and if you head south you will find yourself in Historic South Del Rio the area I grew up in when we first moved to this sleepy Border Town.

Del Rio has many historical landmarks and I wanted to photograph a particular one but there was no room to park so instead I decided to head to my favorite Del Rio park that was not a park when we moved here...it became one after the 1998 Del Rio Flood...with the help of a Federal Grant.


I have blogged about this little piece of heaven before...describing it as "my quiet place"... somewhere that I can come and de-stress...I likened it to Austin's "Barton Springs" a location and city I loved and where we moved from :-(


There are large ducks everywhere and they are not afraid of people...they just like to chill and enjoy the roar of the pristine waters of San Felipe Creek.


I liked that they incorporated this fallen tree into the landscape.



Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

14 comments:

  1. My favourite time of the day early mornings so peaceful and relaxing, watch the sunrise then get out and about. Then enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for your blog or my annual trip to Terlingua I would not otherwise be able to see the beautiful sunrises as I am not a morning person.

      Delete
  2. What they did with that tree is neat! Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too as in most instances they would have simply removed it but chose instead to make it part of the landscape.

      Delete
  3. You are right about having to get up early when you are retired but I'm trying to change my sleep schedule.
    Nice little park to de-stress.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people get used to the early hours we had to rise during our long working life and find it hard to change our individual time clock when we retire. Fortunately for me I have NEVER been a morning person so I did not need to adjust my schedule once I quit working.

      I love that park it is the least crowded during the work week and I can hear myself think.

      Delete
  4. So, so pretty! I can feel my blood pressure dip just looking at these pics!

    Which park is this? I'm asking because one of these days when I'm driving out that way, I am going to check out all these gorgeous little oases you've blogged about & I can't find anything online that features DR's many parks in a way that makes sense for visitors.

    (Del Rio Chamber of Commerce owes you a commission, I think.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular park is called Rotary Park and it is one of five parks that are along the banks of San Felipe Creek.

      You are familiar with Star Park when you come into Del Rio on Highway 90 to the left. The city did a good job of building a walking as well as a bike trail and you can now access Star Park, Moore Park, Lt. Thomas Romanelli Memorial Park, and San Felipe Lions Park without having to drive.

      However the trail ends at San Felipe Lions Park because the rest of the land along the boundries of San Felipe Creek lies on private property.

      To reach Rotary Park is easy just head on Pecan Street as though you were going to the Val Verde County Courthouse or Little HEB and turn left on Canal Street you will pass a little bridge and to your right is Rotary Park turn right on East Canal and you are there.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I cut & pasted that & put it in a file with a map I got from google of the Dora Alcala trail.

      While I have you here, what's a good place in that general area for tacos to go? (Not Stripes please ;-), a more local, Del Rioan place.)

      Also, what about Salas Better Burger? Any good?

      Delete
    3. You are welcome I am sure you will enjoy the trail.

      I laughed and laughed when you said...NOT Stripes please...jajajajajaja...Actually Stripes on 15th and Veterans Memorial was voted #1 place to eat Tacos in the Del Rio News-Herald annual survey.

      After they closed down Luby's I can not get my mother to go to any other area restaurants. I can not recommend any...sorry :-(

      I have eaten at Salas Better Burger and would recommend them. Their late owner worked for Whataburger for years and decided to open up his own burger place. It is very popular with local law enforcement and is close to the start of the Dora Alcalá trail.

      Delete
    4. Thanks! I saw Salas BB on the map & it did look like it might be a good place to grab a bite & bring it down to the creek. (One of these days, I promise I will try Stripes. Speaking of commissions, Stripes owes you at the very least a discount!)

      Delete
    5. Stripes on 15th Street and Veteran's Memorial caddy corner to McDonald's is my favorite one. I have one closer to mom's house but I prefer this location because the food tastes better and they have a larger selection.

      This is the "Cheers" food version of the popular show...everyone knows your name...they even notice when I go a long time without going there. Have met a lot of nice folks there.

      Delete
  5. Nice park and the sound of rushing water always seems to de-stress a person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice quiet park during the work week and if I had a strong back I would lug my zero gravity lounge chair as I am sure I would have no problem taking a nap to the sound of roaring water.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.