Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Trip down Frontera Road

Had a very busy day yesterday, by the time I got home I was just too tired to make a post.  Why is printer ink so expensive?  Needed to make several copies but Val Verde County Library does not open till 1:00 p.m. on weekends. So was trying to kill time till they opened.

I have mentioned that we do not have a donation center in Del Rio like Goodwill or Salvation Army. The closest thing has always been Faith Mission a church on Frontera Road that before they built the new ICE headquarters had a large number of followers.  People would walk to it from Mexico but now that the access has been cut off they have to walk or drive for 4 miles versus one block.

This was Frontera Rd. prior to being closed off.  It may look unprotected
but the International Bridge is located there with armed ICE agents.

The border wall along Fronters Road

Faith Mission is located right next to who used to be our mechanic twice removed, he is now deceased.  I caught him several times dumpster diving and salvaging stuff so one of his relatives could sell them in Mexico instead of landing at the local landfill...I had no trouble with that.



Faith Mission Warehouse to the left, my former
 mechanic's shop to the right.

Up until I would say fifteen years ago or so there were two ways to go to Mexico.  The pretty way or the not so pretty but faster way.  My parents always went down the historic South Del Rio route.  That is where many of the beautiful mansions, vineyards and historic landmarks are located such as Dr. Brinkley's mansion. Who was Dr. Brinkley?  Here is a prior post if you care to read it.  I might also add the most read post on my blog...who would have imagined? http://terlinguadreams.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-brinkley-mansion.html




It has been a long time since I have been down this road and did not know if the church was still open and if they took donations and what type. The drop box was at a different location but it answered my question of what they accepted.



This is where the first border wall went up under President George W. Bush after the 9/11 attacks.  Over the wall is still the United States until you reach the Rio Grande about half a mile downhill.

Border Patrol drives down this road behind the fence to the Rio Grande.
Only Federal authorities have access to it.

Looking Southwest to what used to be the
former ICE headquarters and gateway to Mexico.

Frontera Road ends here (there is a big gap) and to the left is private property.



Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



2019 NBA Conference Semifinals

I have really tried to get into the games this year but since my San Antonio Spurs were eliminated I really have not been enthused about them. 

I wish I had been able to watch the last game between Denver and Portland but I changed the channel to watch the news and never returned to it.  Had no idea they had gone to four overtimes would have been fun to watch.

21 comments:

  1. Too bad about that border wall we have seen it all the way along desert and sand dunes in New Mexico, Southern Arizona and California over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our border wall is not very long in comparison to other border towns. The best part is that the land was already owned by the federal government and there was no expropriation of private property.

      Delete
  2. Why back ... when I needed printer ink I'd go to walmart and see what the ink cost, then I'd check out the clearance printers. Often as not I'd buy a new printed (that came with ink) for less than new ink for the one I had... Very wasteful but it saved...
    These days we have a 'better' printer so I spend the money on proper ink.

    The border fence... the world keeps on changing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That just blows my mind that it was cheaper to buy a new printer than a cartridge of ink and it probably still hold true today.

    I do not make that many copies so I have had ink cartridge dry on me. These days I prefer to pay .10 cents per page at our local library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Printer ink is so over priced it isn't even funny and I don't know if they were even filled all the way. When I used to print lots of pictures my ink seemed to last a lot longer. No I don't even have a printer since my died. I did buy a new one and could never get it to work so I just took it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I have to research how ink is made because from a layman's point of view I can not comprehend why ink cartridges are so high.

      Delete
    2. I think printers ink is a cash cow....

      Delete
  5. Thanks for returning to this piece of largely forgotten Texas/Del Rio lore! The AM radio station XER transmitter, owned by “Dr.” Brinkley, was located in what was then called Villa Acuna, a small town then as compared to Del Rio.
    The station was the first of its kind: a border blaster, operated on Mexico soil but with U.S. ownership. Mexico allowed the transmitter to operate at 10-20 time the maximum power permitted in the U.S. The flame thrower signal reached around the world.
    My parents well remembered listening to J.R. Brinkley while they were growing up on Kansas dust bowl farms in the 1930s. By the time I was born, Brinkley was long gone. But his radio station survived him.
    As a child growing up in Houston Texas in the 60s, most every night I’d listen to successor station XERF - from “Del Rio Texas on the banks of the silvery Rio Grande”. They played really good “bad music” – the kind of Rock and Roll and Blues censored by main stream stations at the time. Wolfman Jack began his career on XERF and spun tunes that inspired an entire generation. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are showing our age if we remember listening to Wolfman Jack. He played great tunes late at night. What an institution he was so beloved by fans not only in Del Rio but worldwide with the reach XERF had back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, haha! Pinche gringo viejo hippies

      Delete
    2. Hey, watch it! I am one of those pinche viejo gringo hippies. Although I didn't know about XERF. We had KEXL (now KZEP) and then KISS in SA for our progressive rock.

      Stephanie and her Golden Warriors working hard to not get spanked by the Sprockets. Gotta crash for an early wake-up call so gonna miss the excitement. Good nite and may all you have pinche hippie viejo gringo dreams!

      Chingow

      Delete
    3. oops, sorry, should have clarified...I'm one too.

      Delete
    4. You guys made me laugh this evening, thank you!!!

      In my defense I have never been a hippie...Dad hated hippies and would have slapped me silly (parents could do that back then)...if I had even remotely resembled one.

      I am not a Gringa...I am a proud Chicana...for those readers NOT from Texas that means a Mexican-American woman.

      I do however have to own up to having been called a "Pinche Vieja" more than a couple of times in my life...translation..."Damn Woman"...jajajajajajaja :D

      Delete
  7. "Stephanie and her Golden Warriors working hard to not get spanked by the Sprockets."

    ROTFLMAO!!!

    It was a great 4th Quarter, GSW came oh so close to winning this game but thankfully they did not. Good job Rockets, now funnel all your energy and determination towards Game 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like it could go 7. This is the Super Bowl of the playoffs. Wish I could stay up later! Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. The cable finally came back on but my internet and home phone are not working and the bad weather has not even hit the area.

      I might watch the traitor and root for Philadelphia.

      Delete
  8. Too bad we can't have a world without walls.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.