Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

The trip that almost wasn't

I keep two calendars of appointments one for mother and one for myself.  Hers is obviously more important.  With the administration threating to shut down the border since last October 2018 and actually doing so in California for several hours last year I canceled my remaining appointments for 2018 so I could resume them in 2019.

This year did not start any better with the long lines at the border.  Have only managed a trip to the dentist thus far.  Scheduled a follow-up appointment but could not find my calendar so left the card in my purse and of course, forgot about it.


I was reading Barney's blog (OFM Adventures) when he mentioned his own trip to the dentist and something just kept nagging at me. Yesterday morning I found the appointment card only to realize it was today at noon and had less than two hours to get ready!  Thank you, Barney.


My dentist is a stickler for punctuality as one should be so was surprised that I had to wait for 30 minutes.  Listening to her son talking on his cell I understood why.  He had driven with his mother from San Angelo, Texas (a 3 hours drive) for her to have an emergency root canal.

Today I had the old filling removed from my two molars and replaced with a more natural color substance.  Fillings are $58.00 dollars each so today I spent $116.00 USD.

Tuesday's are Martes de Cosecha...Harvest Tuesday at Gutierrez.  They have really good specials on fruits and vegetables so much so that the other stores do not try to match their prices anymore and now offer their own version but on different days.

The shade canopies at Gutierrez give
it a leg up on the competition.

Drove by Gutierrez which has a much larger parking lot than this picture depicts, there is more on the side and the back...it was packed!  You know my rule...NO LINES...unless they are unavoidable like the lines to cross back to the USA.


Drove to the smaller Bodegas Aurrera (owned by Walmart) mostly so I could use their Wi-Fi as my cell phone does not work in Mexico and I wanted to check the Border Wait Times App.  It said there was a 35-minute wait which seemed incredible to believe.

Their limited shade canopies are no match
to those at Gutierrez.
Before I list the prices...here are the Exchange Rates...top number is the BUY rate for $1.00 US dollar you can buy $17.40 Mexican Pesos. The second number is the SELL rate, they will sell you one US dollar for $18.70 Mexican Pesos.

Exchange rates for 5-07-19

I wanted to buy some onions and tomatoes but I did not like the prices so I will buy those in Del Rio.


The last time I was in Bodegas Aurrera was at their larger store on the northwest part of town.  I remember mentioning then that there were stockers everywhere and empty shelves. The same took place today at this smaller location.


I was going to buy a bottle of Kahlua and save $3.75 (Texas liquor tax per bottle) by crossing at the Amistad Dam Port of Entry but the liquor shelves were barren.  Ended buying 3 bottles of hot sauce that were on sale for $20.00 pesos (20.00 divided by 17.40 equals $1.15 USD).

With the re-routing of traffic to the new Mexican Customs building
you have to pay attention to the signs or end up lost like what
happened to me the first couple of times.

With no reason to drive to the Amistad Dam Port of Entry headed back home the regular way still doubting the 35-minute wait quoted on the App. Tolls to cross to the USA are 28.00 Mexican Pesos the equivalent of $1.61 USD.
 

 When something sounds too good to be true it's because it is.  This was NOT a 35-minute line.


It was hot and humid around 88 degrees and it took 1 hour 20 minutes to cross the border because only two lanes were open to traffic.



When I got home I decided to make an early post because I had my NBA Semifinal games this evening only to find the cable, internet and home phone were not working.  The cable came back in time to watch my games but both the internet and telephone were out until 7:32 a.m. this morning.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

8 comments:

  1. Your life is tooooo complicated for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too complicated? My real life friends think I have a boring life since I moved to Del Rio.

      Now my life in Houston...that was complicated!

      Delete
  2. Nice that you got to your dentist on time and the birder wait times are a nuisance. At least you got to watch your game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I did not miss my dental appointment. Yesterday it only got to 88 degrees today it reached 95 even with A/C it would have been awful sitting in a long border line.

      Glad the cable came back on so I could watch my game, better still is that they won!

      Delete
  3. There is no worse sound in the world than the dentist drill. I've been going to the dental school for work. They charge a flat fee of $39 per visit. Unfortunately you have to sit in examination chair for a coupla hours a clip while student goes over everything with instructor. And I mean everything. I have 2 crown recementations that need to be done. I hope they can do it in one visit. Better have a good book and earphones!

    Tough game for Rockets tonite but they need to win this one. Otherwise going to 7 for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was in my twenties the eye doctor discovered that I had "keratoconus" so he sent me to the University of Houston College of Optometry.

      This was the first case of this kind for the students so every single one of them came in to examine me as the instructor watched. I think I was in there for two hours on two occasions before I decided not to go back.

      The GSW vs Rockets Game 5 is a pivotal game that the Rockets MUST win tonight. If they lose I feel it will only go to Six.

      Delete
  4. I would have opened the boxes to find what I needed LOL Did everyone walk off the job? At least you made your dentist appt. on time. Now that line to get back would have driven me insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have opened the boxes had it been in the liquor aisle because deep down inside I knew the App was lying to me. I could have saved the toll to cross back to USA as well as the liquor tax because they do not have a State of Texas Tax booth at the Amistad Dam Port of Entry not to mention that the line was probably shorter.

      Without the savings of 1.61 + 3.75 = $5.36 USD it wasn't worth it to me to drive 17 miles out of my way.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.