Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Different take on an alarm clock / Yard Work

Last night I fell asleep before midnight...that just does not happen very often! Sometime around 4:00 a.m. the guard dog in the corner lot started barking his head off and was soon joined by all the other dogs on the street.  Ordinarily, I would get up and yell at him and the others to SHUT UP...I was like in a trance or heavily sedated...and NO...I had not been drinking.

This went on until about 6:00 a.m. and as usual, the barking did not bother any of the owners...sadly it never seems to. The good thing is that for once it did not bother ME.

I have a friend whose grown children were urging her to adopt a pet to keep her company during the stay-at-home mandate.  She flat told them NO...she did not mind babysitting theirs...she calls them her "grand dogs" which I think is hilarious!

You might be asking yourself where am I going with this?  She said something very pointed to them which rang a bell with me.  She told them she did not need "an alarm clock".  If you are a pet owner it might resonate with you as well.  If I do not feed Paquito at his appointed hour...he starts crying by my bedroom window and does not stop until I go feed him. This morning I was two hours late and I didn't care!

After my morning chores, I decided I better fill up another 55 lb trash bag of leaves and weeds rather than waiting until the last minute on trash day. 


That is exactly what I did and now I don't think I am going to have room for the actual trash :D


We had a low of 69 a high of 99 with a heat index of 102 degrees.

Good night,  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day


8 comments:

  1. My dog is really easy to deal with in the mornings. I open the back door when I get up so he can go out and come back in when he wants to. He usually lounges around and sleeps off and on while I am eating breakfast, getting dressed, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocky is an inside dog and he probably has access to his food bowl all day.

      My boys are outdoor cats so I can't leave them food or I will have to deal with possums and raccoons like I did last year when I got back from Terlingua.

      This year my neighbors and I are dealing with pissy ants...that's what we call small tiny black and blond ants that are everywhere!

      Delete
  2. I have to barkers next door and they would bark all day. I don't understand how the owners don't seem to be bothered by this. Several of us did a written complaint to the HOA and it finally stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is about the only good thing of an HOA their ability to intervene and enforce deed restrictions. Mother's house is in the county and we don't have that.

      I used to get even with the neighbors and water the trees at midnight so they would bark at me and wake them up. The boys arrived about two and a half years ago and began to bring me dead snakes and field mice so I quit doing that not realizing what lurked in the dark.

      Delete
  3. Barking dogs are the worst! We have a city ordinance here and I have been to the police many times over the years. Problem solved. It is a BIG fine if there is a second complaint. I love dogs. It is deaf dog owners that I don't like.
    They are predicting snow for tonight and tomorrow. I worry about my tomatoes and hope they can handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right barking dogs are the worst in particular when I am a light sleeper. If we lived within the Del Rio City limits it would not be a problem but out in the country we have little to no ordinances and the few that we do have are seldom enforced.

      I hope you did not get the snow that was forecasted and that your tomatoes were able to survive it if you did.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a high labor day. A few years ago, I had a problem with those black piss ants. Pissy ants sounds more polite, but piss ants is what I grew up with. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the remedy I found online. For a change, it actually worked and was simple and not very toxic to all. That they are looking for water might be clue, but that's all I've got. Old person memory. Got any avocados left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a labor-intensive day indeed JudithK...I am still trying to recuperate!

      I tried several Pinterest suggestions including the one you gave me of vinegar and water but none worked as a long term solution.

      I need to go to Home Depot to buy ant bait and/or poison but with the increase of Covid-19 cases in our area...I am hesitant to go anywhere besides the occasional trip to the post office or HEB.

      We certainly do have avocados left...though I now wish I had bought more!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.