Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Severe thunderstorms, hail, and we are under a tornado watch

Decided to do a post earlier than usual as we are expecting severe thunderstorms, hail, and are under a tornado watch. At least that was the plan but the bad weather hit us earlier than forecasted.  



When I checked with AccuWeather they only gave me a one-minute warning of large hail.



This part of town was extremely lucky to have only had pea size hail. Unfortunately, Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila (border city with Del Rio) was pelted with golf and softball size hail and there was a lot of damage.



Yesterday I emptied the last of my water catchment in preparation for what was going to be tonight's storms. They almost filled up after the first storm and when the second one came around they overflowed.


Though you can barely make it out the hail is hitting the water catchment.


Right now (10:30 p.m.) San Antonio is being hit by large hail and is also under a severe thunderstorm warning and tornado alert. Earlier this evening Hondo and D'Hanis small towns close to San Antonio had a tornado touch down that left a lot of damage.



KENS-5 just lost power but their generator kicked in. I can hear the thunder outside. Right now they are concentrating on San Antonio weather as they should be, so I will post this before I lose power and try to see what the weather holds for us this evening.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



8 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't get the worst of the storm and hope you don't lose power.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the extra moisture.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad as well because I just read that some parts of Del Rio received 3-inch hail including Laughlin Air Force Base.

      Delete
  2. Whoa. Yes. I saw some bad weather was happening down there...rock and roll a lot of places. Not here though,we've mostly had good rain (being deaf, I missed the big thunder in the night and slept on.) Hope all is OK down there...looks like it should be relatively calm from now on, maybe with some good rain for you.
    And I can see the hail falling in your rain catchers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get our channels from San Antonio, Texas, and this morning, noon, afternoon, and evening most of them showed all the hail damage in their coverage area and some even included Ciudad Acuña.

      I do not think we have anything to worry about until tomorrow and Saturday but it should be all rain no more hail.

      Delete
  3. Good that the worst of it didn't get to your part of town and you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lucked out JO, not even the power went out, and that in itself is amazing.

      Delete
  4. I have been keeping an eye on the knarly weather in your area. I also watched some videos of the huge hail that fell near you. Some of it came through peoples roofs! Scary stuff.
    It's good all that rain freshened up your water catchment system. Great shots of the hail splashing in the buckets.
    This has been a spring of unsettling weather. I have a feeling there will be a higher than average number of hurricanes hitting areas that have seen a lot of flooding. Friends in and near Ville Platte have had way too much rain, for weeks.
    We got up to 78* here today. Couldn't believe the sudden summer weather. I dressed to run errands and had to come back in to change to a cooler blouse. It felt like July weather. I think Mother Nature may be going through menopause. Jajaja
    Stay safe, my friend. Might be a good time to locate your tarps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot of damage starting in Comstock and extending to San Antonio. San Antonio networks are good about covering other parts of Texas but there has just been so much going on to get to the whole state.

      I too fear that just like last year there will be an above-average number of hurricanes that will reach the continental United States.

      Poor Louisiana it can not catch a break since last year. 78 degrees for your area is a real heatwave I do not blame you for changing into a cooler blouse.

      I have given up on finding my tarps I think I will have to purchase at least one new one because it looks like I am going to need it.

      Be safe as well Ms. Penny!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.