Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, June 8, 2021

We traded the rain for triple digit heat

It has rained so much these past weeks in Texas that many counties including Val Verde have almost erased their severe drought status. These have brought other related problems including HUGE mosquitos, fire ants, and high levels of humidity.

I do not know if you recall that I bought several heavy-duty containers last year when Home Depot had a sale. I started using a couple of them to capture rainwater as my 32-gallon trash cans tops took a beating when we had that severe hail storm that damaged dad's old car.  I decided to use most of them as they have heavy-duty tops to seal off and protect my liquid gold from mosquitos trying to lay their eggs and also serve as a place for the cats to take naps.

It has been incredibly hot lately and the high humidity levels make it being outside almost unbearable. Notwithstanding I had errands to run yesterday and had to bite the bullet. Last week I went to mail some payments at the post office where we have our P.O. Box.  It was around 1:30 p.m. and when I pulled the handle to drop my mail it was so packed another envelope would not have been able to fit. Had no choice but to drive to the north part of town to the other post office where at least my mail has not been lost "yet".

I swear that Louis DeJoy thanks to the disgraced, twice impeached, one-term former liar-in-chief that appointed him last year as Post Master General with the finality of delaying and sabotaging the mail-in ballots for the 2020 election has caused severe damage to our mail service that will not be easy to reverse. I am still waiting on a credit card that was supposed to have arrived last week. Most people unless they are daily watchers of  The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC would probably not be aware of this as she is the only one that has covered this topic extensively.

While gasoline prices have stabilized since Colonial Pipeline was a victim of a ransomware cyberattack, there are now long lines at HEB because Murphy Oil (Walmart) tore down their station and is building a new one.


A gallon of regular gasoline is going for $2.629


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



Aunty Acid Saying of the Day




Funny Sayings





6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from you, and to learn you haven't melted yet. I'm mostly staying inside....they say Tuesday will be the first day of "normal" heat. The humidity is something else. But then, you can pull up your Houston days to compare. Feels like Houston to me! Not a good day to be pumping gas; perhaps you just took photos of the prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came very close to melting today! I needed to run errands but they will just have to wait until next week when temperatures will be more "reasonable".

      The thing about Houston is that I went from my air-conditioned house to my air-conditioned car into my air-conditioned office and I was seldom out in the elements like I am in Del Rio.

      I, fortunately, filled my tank last week and only drove by to get a picture of the prices.

      Delete
  2. It is much too early in the season for you to have such high temps and miserable weather. It's just crazy weather everywhere. I watched Weatherman Plus today and the forecast is not looking good down there. I could not hear the heat like that anymore. I will send all good vibes your way for better skies.
    It is great you guard against being a mosquito farm. Now just be on your guard for snakes looking for a cool spot.
    Gas is right at three bucks here. But then it is summer and all things go up here.
    The lilac bushes are barely blooming here. Late and kinda pathetic. Usually my favorite sign of summer with every street in bloom.
    Love all three of your memes. Hilarious and so true.
    Take care my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the weather is right on cue we usually have our first triple-digit temperatures in April and we did. What is unusual are the high levels of humidity considering we live in the West Texas desert.

      The mosquitos are just awful they are even inside the house. I am vigilant for snakes even though I hope the seven cats will spot them before I do...they got to earn their keep!

      Three dollars for gas is not so bad considering how far you live. I have not seen lilac bushes in years they are so beautiful.

      Be well Ms.Penny :-)

      Delete
  3. I love the meme's.

    Lets not get started on the crappy postal service. Where I live the HOA does not have direct deposit and for the second time I received a non payment notice for Dec. or Jan. it is unclear to me which one it was. The bank verified the payment was sent. Going back and forth and really getting ready to file a complaint against the hoa they finally let me know last week they received 40 pieces of mail going as far back as Dec.

    The heat is on here it has been 102 for several days and by Sunday 113 is and will last for days. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate summer!

    Be careful with those nasty mosquitos they carry some bad stuff.
    Gas price here are at $2.98

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have something in common JO, an HOA that does not accept direct deposits, and the postal service that loses our payments to them. Wow, I can hardly believe yours finally received 40 pieces of mail going back six months...that is just pathetic just like that DeJoy idiot!

      The good news is that he is being investigated for forcing his employees to make political contributions to Republican candidates and then reimbursing them in the form of a bonus. With any luck, we will soon be rid of him when they put his behind in jail as he has stated many times he is not going to resign and technically President Biden can not fire him.

      Your heat sounds just as bad as ours and I too hate summer! Your gasoline prices are about the same as Penelope's even though she is further away. The one good thing is that I do not plan on going out much unless it's a necessity like doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, or going to the post office.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.