Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, May 30, 2022

BFCU / Dark Web / VVRMC / Security Breach

Last week I got an email notice from two of my credit card companies with whom I had signed up years ago for free credit monitoring. They informed me that a credit report had been pulled and that it had been Border Federal Credit Union with whom I opened an account earlier this month. Why didn't the account officer notify me one would be pulled? I would have agreed but I had no idea credit unions/and or banks needed to run a credit check to open an account...it is not like I was applying for a loan...grrrr!!!

A few days later I got another email saying my social security number had been found on the dark web...WTH?  It was the weekend so I could not reach anyone. I watched a ton of YouTube videos on the subject and decided to place a Credit Freeze at all the credit bureaus. 

I was going over my mail when I saw a letter from Val Verde Regional Medical Center (our local hospital) which looked like Junk Mail. Something told me to open it, I was stunned, and at the same time furious. They wrote to inform me that on March 10, 2022, VVRMC experienced a network disruption.

"We immediately initiated an investigation and secured our network. We also engaged third-party forensics experts to assist with the investigation and determine whether sensitive information may have been accessed or acquired without authorization during the incident. We then took steps to identify up-to-date address information to notify you. That process was completed on May 12, 2022."

What information was involved? The information affected during the incident may have included your first name, last name, Social Security number, date of birth, medical information, health insurance information, and other information."  Really? That's basically all my information!!!

What are they doing?  They will offer complimentary identity monitoring services for 12 months...big freaking deal! 

The letter is dated May 24 the breach was on March 10, 2022.  They sure took their time to inform the population considering they are the only hospital within a 60-mile radius of Del Rio. I do not know if I am more upset because they have the nerve to call it A Data Security Incident instead of A Major Security Breach or because of how long it took them to notify me.

What a lousy week followed by this equally dismal Memorial Day weekend I have had. The mass shooting in Uvalde has affected me as it has many other people even though I do not know any of the victims. I wish I was not such a news junkie, but that is on me.

Friday, the neighbors were going crazy popping fireworks. It has been in the triple-digits for days with strong wind gusts but this Thursday it should go down to 97 degrees.

The one positive was that I was finally able to talk to a dear friend of mine that I had not spoken to since December 2021.

Good night. May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid



6 comments:

  1. Ooof. What bunch of stuff. Though the "dark web" thing sounds kind of spammy, depending on who it was from. My credit card company lets me know of anything weird going on. But I am glad you've had some good contact with a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me the "dark web" sounds terrifying as hackers can sell all the information they managed to steal, and if you have good credit can command more money.

      Yes, hearing from my friend certainly made my day.

      Delete
  2. It's so scary to think we have no protection against scum bags who have nothing better to do than cause havoc on people they don't even know.
    Loved Auntie Acid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read that many of the hackers operate from North Korea, China, Russia, Iran, and other countries unfriendly to us. It has also become commonplace to hack smaller hospitals as was done during the height of the Covid-19 pandemic.

      Today's Aunty Acid describes me perfectly...glad you liked it as well :-)

      Delete
  3. It always amazes me that places dealing with your health need all that information. In Canada they are not allowed to ask for your Social Security Number unless they are your Employer.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the cooler temperatures.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why hospitals would need your social security number and other information as my mother has been confused on more than one occasion with another lady with the same name both at CVS and at the hospital itself.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.