Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

We are roasting in Texas

It has been incredibly hot in Del Rio and it is not even summer yet. The forecast does not look good for the coming two weeks either not to mention we have not had a drop of rain. The only lucky ones have been people that reside in the Panhandle and parts of Dallas that saw precipitation. We reached 109 degrees this past Monday.


The temperature at 10:30 p.m. has been in the 90's.  I feel for the people that do not have air conditioning or have it but can not afford to pay for the electricity to run it.  After watching this news report I quit my "b*tching" and felt fortunate that I live in this great country of ours.

In Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua border town with El Paso, Texas people have been sleeping outside their humble homes made of cardboard and wood pallets and cooking outside to mitigate the high temperatures. If that was not bad enough no water was coming out of their faucets.


They insulated their house with cardboard boxes and newspapers they picked up from the street. 


You would think that I would have stayed home but unfortunately, I had to go pick up some items I ordered online and make good use of my gas by running several errands while I was in town. We are fortunate that our gasoline prices are lower than in other states.

Unleaded $4.49, Diesel $4.94

I made a mini grocery run to HEB where the prices have not gone up much. Their soup is still $1.58 a can. What did go up was the cans of menudo but I stocked up on them a couple of months back.


I bought some pre-packaged salads and some avocados to make them more palatable.


Did you know that they grew tomatoes in Marfa, Texas?  Neither did I...



Laundry detergent is going up so decided to buy Sun Tropical Breeze (the purple bottle). You can save money by buying the yellow one for $5.00 at the $1.25 Dollar Tree.


HEB brand milk Hill Country is still reasonable, the one I bought was $3.98 a gallon.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid



6 comments:

  1. When it gets cold people can gather together to survive but when it gets that HOT it can be deadly.
    Stay Safe!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat can certainly be deadly. My main worry is that the grid will not hold up under the excess demand. This past May I believe six power stations went down during a similar scenario.

      Delete
  2. Today we hit 105 and by Sunday it will be 109 - 110. It is so early in the season still for this kind of heat. I try to get everything done by 9am. I'm still using my cooler and fans but I know it will have to be switched over to a/c in the next few days. And no rain here either.
    Tomorrow I will hit Walmart at 7am I need to get some tank tops and a few things to make cooler meals.
    Avocados are $1.08each in Walmart but they were so small and I knew they would be nothing more than a large pit. So I went for the bag at just under $5. but was worth it to me. Gas is $4.69 at least it was the other day. No going up a few pennies at a time its been .10 or more.
    Try to stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weekend we will be in the 107 - 110 range so we are in step with your city. San Antonio is breaking daily records...the weather guy said..."it is not often we are hotter than Del Rio" and they were today!

      I am outside by 6:45 a.m. watering the trees and plants, feeding the cats, and raking those darn mesquite pods that due to the drought are dropping like crazy.

      At that early morning hour, you should be able to get your shopping done before the crowds descend on Walmart and be home in time to miss the serious heat. Stay cool as well!

      Delete
  3. We've lucked out, in spite of forecasts of 105. Hasn't done that quite, and the really big luck was a rogue storm that left an inch and a bit more of rain. Looks like that was it though...
    As for Marfa and tomatoes, Yes, ha. Back in the 80's I worked from time to time in Ft Davis, and on the road to Marfa, huge greenhouses were going up. That's where they come from. I guess they're using spring water to grow them. Anyway, they're still in business, and I see them here from time to time in the grocery.
    Stay as cool as you can. Guess we'll see how the grid does. THEY say it's going to be just fine. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am envious of your rogue storm, as an inch and a bit in our drought-stricken state is like winning the lotto!

      The only thing I remember about Marfa when I was attending Sul Ross State was the drive-in movie and the Marfa Lights that I never saw...not even a flicker :-(

      It makes sense that the tomatoes would be grown in greenhouses kind of like John Wells does at his Field Lab in Terlingua.

      I do not believe a thing that comes out of ERCOT or the governor's office and you know how often we have power outages here out of the blue. Stay cool too.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.