Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Little John “Walter” Deere has been Bad!

I do not know what has gotten into Little John “Walter” Deere lately but he has not been behaving himself.  This morning I saw his owner and new dog walking him to “MsBelinda’s Horsie Day Care Center”.

He had not been back since Thursday when the kid and his brother came to pick him up after spending four days here. Wednesday evening around 7:15 p.m. I was busy watching my show when I saw a bunch of dirt flying and then lord and behold noticed Walter was galloping around the property at a very high pace.

Ran to look out the window and then saw one of mother’s busy body neighbors running from his house to the house next door to his.  He looked alarmed and by then Walter was making another run around the property.  Being unfamiliar with horses I decided I better stay inside and not risk being trampled but ran around looking through all the windows hoping he did not try to jump the cinder block fence or the barb wire one his owner put up.

I was scared that if he jumped and in the altered state he seemed to be in that he might be hit by a vehicle and cause an accident.  Little Walter why did you have to pick this time when I am watching my favorite show to go nuts?  Once he finally settled down I went outside and spent some quality time with him even though I go out every two hours to check his water containers, make sure they are full and talk to him and if he lets me I will pet him.  Heck I pay more attention to Walter than I did my ex-husband!

It is not the first time I notice that he likes to smell the clothes I have hanging in the clothesline.  Monday it was my jeans and today it was my blouse.  I was washing dishes when I saw him smelling then licking and finally rubbing his head up against it.  I was afraid he was going to chew it.  Ran for my camera but by the time I came back I saw he was in the backyard of our adjacent lot where we also had the cinder block fence collapse two years ago.  He went back there in all the rubble and then took off!

Walked to his owner’s house to notify him but no one was home.  What to do?  I was so worried I did not notice that I was wearing Crocs and I sure got a bunch of thorns and stickers on that short walk.  Found him grazing on a vacant house front yard but as hard as I tried I could not entice him to follow me.

Went back home to write a note to leave at his owners door but returned in mother’s car there was no way I was going to walk.  This time he had moved to graze in the church’s grounds across the street from a very busy road.  I was in pins and needles but what else could I do?  I remember that when his owner brought him, he was all decked out in his cowboy attire and nice hat so I am assuming his family and him went to some kind of party or family outing.

Around 8:00 p.m. decided to go see where he was and would you believe he was back at our house!  He was standing by his water like an innocent little horsie.  I went and told him how disappointed I was in him and would you believe he turned around and left the same way he came?  I have often wondered if he understood English or Spanish…now I think I know…he understands English!

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and Walter had a great adventure! he might need a salt block if he is
    sniffing and licking stuff.Sounds like he was feeling good to have been running around,glad to have all that stuff off his back.glad he came back to his home place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea horses liked salt blocks for some reason I thought that was for cattle, but what do I know?

      The only bad thing is he left through the downed fence again rather than put up with me scolding him...kind of like a bratty teenager!

      Delete
    2. My daughter lives in TN and she has 4 horses and when my kids were home we had 11 horses.Horses need a mineral
      block.Sounds like Walter is lonely.We had several horses that we called pocket horses ,because they want to be around people all the time.I wish i lived near by
      would love to take Walter home with me.i had a horse that would crawl under the fence to escape.they are amazing animals.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for telling me about the mineral block, learned something new today.

      I wish his owner would sell him or give him to someone who would take care of him and give him TLC.

      I have never been around horses this is my first experience so I am a little green.

      Delete
  2. You need to charge a lot more for baby sitting that horse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I agree as well, maybe the kid can help me rake the yard...hummm, not a bad idea.

      Delete
  4. Walter needs you, and look how good he feels now. lololol,,, Can you tie something across the opening where the fence fell? Wouldn't take much, like a wire or a rope?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is what saddens me Trouble, I know he needs me but I had to notify his owner as the potential for an accident was just to real. Now since he knows he can get out I do not think they are going to bring him.

    The original master plan called for the each owner to leave five feet or eight feet (do not recall exactly) as right of way and it was going to be an alley where the garbage trucks could have access. The alley is full of mesquite trees, cactus, Spanish daggers as well as other overgrown desert plants and now our pile of concrete blocks and rebar. I never thought Walter being as big as he is would fit through there but I was wrong as usual.

    The down fence is about 90 feet so his owner really needs to come and put up some more posts and barb wire. I left him our phone number but he has not called. He works out of town so has probably already left for the week. It is a shame because the temperatures are going to be in the 103 to 104 range and Walter really needs to be in the shade and have access to plenty of fresh water.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.