Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, July 20, 2012

The Return of Mata Gatos

This week has gone so fast and we have had so much on our agenda that I was either tired, asleep or both and have not had a chance to catch up on my postings or my favorite blogs.

I commented when I was in Houston that I wanted to get back to Del Rio so I could sleep late. Well that has not happened yet, but at least I am not awake by 5:00 a.m. like I was when I was there but not by much.

My mother woke me up early (for me) on Monday, July 16th to inform me that there was a suspicious car along our fence line and it kept on going back and forth (her house encompasses three large lots) and had been doing so for a while but no one would get off.

Reluctantly I got up to look out the window.  I told mother “I can not believe you woke me up for this, that is your friend Mata Gatos”.  For my new readers and those not familiar with this character, Mata Gatos (Cat Killer in Spanish) is one of my mother’s church member’s that comes around to do her yard but never finishes the job.  He is a bus driver for the local school district and comes looking for work during the school hiatus.

While I cannot prove it, I believe he and/or his son are responsible for the disappearance of my beloved 14-year-old cat.  That is why I nicknamed him Mata Gatos.  I cannot stand the man but this is not my house and I cannot run him off or give him a piece of my mind without upsetting my mother.

Turns out he did not expect the yard to be mowed nor did he imagine that we would have a horse in our property…Walter had spent the night…more on that in a future post.  Well he finally decided to get off his vehicle and mow the south part of the property but only mowed less than half the lot. 

My mother went out to give him some bottled water (he never brings his own darn water) and they sat down to talk.  She asked him not to mow the other lots (like he was really going to) because she wanted Walter to be able to graze on the grass.  Mom said he looked disappointed but told her he would then mow on the street side of the fence…he finally had a bright idea!  This time I gladly paid him for his services and I hope he never shows up again.

Want to welcome Dizzy-Dick of Dizzy's Wanderings & Wonderings to the blog role.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. Are those flowers in the tree, morning glories? Love em. Can't wait to hear more about Walter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know Trouble, I bought them at HEB and they were sold as annuals but I am not sure what kind of annuals.

      Delete
  2. Hee Hee...your post made my morn'n. Love to hear bout old Macho Grochos the landscape artist. But he do remind me of some acquaintances I have dealt with in the past. Just think, if'n it hadn't been for Macho Grochos, you would still be out there in the yard...a hoola hoe in one hand and a 'lectric weed eater in the other.
    Wain't for some update on the fate of Walter. Your mama could buy him ya know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you enjoy hearing about Mata Gatos :)

      He mowed half of ONE lot as well as on the street side of the fence...but it was I who had to go rake it and bag it up, GRRRRRRR!!!

      Delete
  3. Get a goat, hat will keep the grass cut down and if he is mean enough he could chase off Mata Gatos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought had crossed my mind but that was before my little John "Walter" Deere came into the picture :)

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.