Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Eagle Pass / Piedras Negras / Podiatrist

Mother woke me up at 8:20 a.m. knew I needed to get up but prolonged it until 8:30 a.m. 
The City of Del Rio meter repair guys came at 8:50 a.m. I was pleasantly surprised at how polite and professional this young man and his partner were.  They assured me that since the leak was on their side of the street, mother’s water bill would not incur additional charges and they answered all my questions.  I was very pleased with the manner in which they conducted themselves and as soon as I get an opportunity I am going to write a letter to the City to let them know.


We had a nice leisurely drive to Eagle Pass and got there early enough so we could cross into Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico using Bridge #2.  It took me a while to find it but by golly I did!  The office of mother’s Podiatrist is much closer if I cross into Mexico at this point.


 
In the waiting room I was reading the local newspaper when I saw an ad for Gutierrez (a chain grocery store) and they had absolutely GREAT prices and you know how I like bargains.  I had never been to this grocery store in Piedras Negras before and I believe I have only been to the one in Ciudad Acuna perhaps on two occasions.  I think that may have to change, as we were both pleased with what we saw.


Today’s exchange rate was:

To Sell US Dollars      13.45
To Buy US Dollars      13.60 
       

So you can get the feel for some of the bargains we purchased and their price in Mexican Pesos:

Lettuce                2.90 a head
Bananas              2.90 a kilo
Watermelon        2.90 a kilo
White onion        3.90 a kilo
Jalapenos           3.90 a kilo
Cabbage            3.90 a kilo
Cilantro              1.90 a bunch


When I came to the beverage aisle I saw Mexican Coke and could not help but think of Dizzy Dick as I once read on his blog how his wife and him enjoy purchasing one from time to time.


Since we ventured out to this store at a part of the city I was unfamiliar with I was not able to find my way back to Bridge #2.  Not a problem as there are lots of signs pointing you to the downtown area I do know, to cross back to the USA at Bridge #1.




 
Gas was high at the name brand gasoline stations in Eagle Pass. We found it at a more reasonable price at Stripes.


All in all we had a very good day and we certainly accomplished a lot.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know hoe far you have to drive to that grocery store, but what great prices! I would figure the fuel cost, and see if I could make it regular. Maybe every other week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually combine our trips to Mexico to make it worthwhile. This time it was a doctor's appt which we had to go anyways. Eagle Pass is about 60 miles from Del Rio.

      We mostly cross the border in Ciudad Acuna, Coahuila which is 4 miles from my mother's house and Gutierrez has two or three stores there. It would only be like a 10 mile drive.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a pass port and they tell me now you need one to go into either Mexico or Canada. Didn't used to be like that. I have been in Canada many times and never had a pass port. Of course I am old and that was a long time ago (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After 9/11 everything changed and they implemented the passport requirement. Before all you had to do was verbally declare you were a US citizen.

      Not too many people were happy forking out big money for a passport so they (whomever they may be) dreamt up a "passcard" which is cheaper than a passport but can only be used for land crossing and not for air travel.

      Delete
  3. I don't understand the prices, so have no idea if they are good or not. Loved the pics! Never have gotten to go to Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prices are excellent. For example in the jalapeno picture it has the mexican peso price of $3.90 and underneath the US dollar price of .30 for a Kilo of jalapenos.

      A kilo is equivalent to 2.2 pounds, so you are in essence buying 1.1 lbs of jalapenos for .15 cents a pound.

      To get a quick idea divide by 10 which is easier $3.90 would be .39 cents but since the exchange rate is not ten pesos to a dollar but more, then you are only paying .30 US cents.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.