Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Del Rio International Airport

Would you believe that I had never been to the Del Rio International Airport until last week?  Pass by there all the time and when the new terminal was completed I considered stopping by but never did.


While it has been around for a long time it was more of a public airport. The type that if you owned your own airplane you flew yourself here.  Only time I would see a lot of traffic was during the hunting season when private jets from Houston Oil and Gas companies would fly in their best customers  to hunt in the area ranches. Other than that, it was pretty much dead.





Was never much of a commercial success, seems that whomever the city gave the concession to, due to lack of demand would go bankrupt.  Per the local newspaper the air traffic has significantly picked up in the past ten years in part to the popularity of the bass tournaments held at Lake Amistad and film crews that come to cover such events. 




The “Maquiladora” industry in Ciudad Acuna, Coahuila, Mexico across the border from Del Rio seems to have generated a lot of traffic as well. The carrier used to be Continental now it is United Airways and there are two daily flights to Houston Intercontinental Airport where passengers can then make a connection to anywhere in the world.




This is a very small airport where you can park your vehicle for free and only have to walk a few hundred feet to reach the terminal.  On our visit there were only two other people besides my mother and I.  Maybe I need to come when the evening flight arrives to gauge the traffic, as there is no chance I will ever make the early morning one.



Have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. We do have a small airport that will accomodate small jets, due to the hunters during deer season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hunters do seem to keep small airports in business.

      Delete
  2. Don't believe I'd want to haul any weapons through any airport. Deer rifles or not. Most hunters also carry pistols also. I'd think that would cause a hassle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the hunters fly into town they do so in private jets. To my knowledge and ofcourse I could be wrong, they do not get searched.

      In one of the phamplets I picked up at the airport it said you could carry your up to two guns in one of those lock up hard shell cases but they had to be checked in.

      Delete
  3. Isn't there a big Airforce base there? I remember seeing lots of big planes around there when fishing on Amistad. So what airlines fly into Del Rio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughlin Air Force Base is located east of Del Rio going towards San Antonio.

      Our airport is served by only one carrier United.

      Delete
  4. I have flown in and out of Del Rio (DRT) to go visit relatives in the past. The folks and airport were really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the second person that I have known to fly out of DRT.

      It is cost effective if you are flying to other locations beyond Houston but if Houston is your destination like in my case a one way trip is around $250.00 or probably more by now. So I have no other choice but to drive.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.