Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Marriage Proposal

We were up early and at the local hospital by 8:00 a.m.  Usually the X-ray department is buzzying with activity but there were only four people in the waiting room, thought that was rather odd.  Soon learned that their computer system was down and they could not process the people that had not pre-registered.


I have learned from previous experience to pre-register if at all possible and I must say it paid off this time.  Mother had her CT done and when we left, the waiting area was full of patients and some did not look so happy.


Went to have breakfast at the local McDonald’s.  Sat my mom down and went to get the order.  She was freezing to death so was preparing her coffee when this elder gentlemen came up to us.  He wanted to thank my mother and I for having wished him a good morning and done so with a smile.

We told him he had nothing to thank, that we were just friendly people.  My poor mother was hungry as she had to be fasting for her tests and this gentlemen would not leave us alone.  He talked to us for a good 10 minutes and finally asked me if I was “single”…told him I was and he asked me if “I would like a husband” jajajajajaja…thought I was going to die laughing but manage to keep my composure.

He told me his name but I don’t recall if it was Charlie, Jack or Fred …you know me and my CRS syndrome!  Thinking it was Charlie though.  Said his first wife was Anglo but his second and third wives were Hispanic and he tended to “gravitate” toward Hispanic women.  Oh Lord, you should of seen my mother’s face by then…if looks could kill, I believe that poor man would have been dead!

Charlie said he was a retired State Trooper and owned a ranch in Kerrville and would like to get married once more.  I thanked him kindly but told him that marriage was not in my plans at this particular time.  I am not a good judge of age but I think Charlie was in his mid to late 70’s.

Moral of the story:  If you smile and say good morning to a guy, you might get a marriage proposal out of it. 

Want to welcome Chris Miller to the blog roll.  Thank you for reading me.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

11 comments:

  1. always suspected you were quite a woman but wow! Old men making idiots of themselves groveling at your feet! I'm impressed MsB.

    About your starving mom. I fasted for my last set of tests and decided I would never do it again. I was literally sick for real by the time I got out of the VA Clinic. Next time the tests can just be off a little. I need some toast( at least) in the morning. say hi! to your mom. good luck with all your suitors. ha ha the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gave my Mom your regards, she told me to tell you to please fast because accurate test results should always be at the disposal of your doctor so the proper dosage of medication can be administered.

      P.S. I will try to keep my suitors at bay :)

      Delete
  2. Wait a minute. He's got a ranch in Kerrville. And he's retired LEO which means he probably doesn't have substance abuse problems and passed a mental health screen. And he needs some sweet young thang to leave his Hill Country spread to someday?

    Er, you didn't happen to get his number, did you?

    (I keed, I keed.) But I guess when men are about to turn eighty, they figure they just don't have much time left to waste on niceties like, you know, dating before they take the plunge into matrimony. LOL!

    PS) I like your avatar! There's a trio of ladies in Austin called the Carper Family Band (not really a family) who have this really fun retro bluegrass/western swing/blues fusion sound. They just held the Artist-in-Residence slot last month at the Cactus Cafe - a much-loved acoustic venue for musicians on campus at UT - and have a video featuring your avatar (Betty Boop?) performing a song that's sort of appropriate for your decision to turn down that sweet older gentleman's generous proposal:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7j2a6R80vA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leilani - you had me rolling on the floor with your comment :D

      I figure a man that has been married three times probably has plenty of chidren, grandchildren and great-grand children to lay claim to his estate.

      Now if he had told me he had NO FAMILY...that would have been a different matter! jajajajaja...of course I am kidding :)

      Delete
    2. Leilani forgot to mention that I finally had the opportunity to watch the link to the Betty Boop video with the Carper Family Band singing and it is darling! I like their unique sound.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the Marriage Proposal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, got my first laugh of the day...You go girl!! hahaahahah
    Hey wait a minute,,i'm not far from Kerrville,,got an address or number? hahahahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knew I had forgotten to get something from him!

      Maybe he is doing a tour of Texas McDonald's...go to your local one and remember to greet all the gentlem when you enter.

      Delete
  5. Are you sure he wasn't proposing to your Mom instead of you? (grin).

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.