Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, July 21, 2012

My little John “Walter” Deere

Last Sunday, July 15th I was in a deep sleep when I was awaken by the sound of someone hammering some metal object, tried to ignore it but it kept on.  Mother’s neighbors are partiers and they sure as heck are not going to be working at 8:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning.

Looked out the window but saw nothing so decided to go outside and check it out when I noticed that Walter’s owner and his son were putting in metal fence posts on OUR property without even asking for our permission.  The nerve of that man! 

Back in April or May 2010 it rained seven inches in one night and all that water was too much for the thirty-year old cinder block fence and it took out about 60 feet.  Mother cannot decide whether to rebuild it as it was or to put in a different kind of fence so to this date we have not done anything about it.

I was watching them work from the kitchen window.  When they finished they came knocking.  I guess he thought I was the maid or something and he told me that the owner of the house an older lady had told him that he could bring his horse whenever he wanted.  I replied that I was aware of that, as my mother had told me about their conversation.

He gave me a look, like he did not believe I was her daughter.  I told him that I had also told his son the same thing regarding Walter.  He told me that he was having problems with the Sheriff because his horse kept on getting loose and was a danger to drivers so he had put up a temporary fence and some barb wire so he would not get out when he came to graze at our house.

Wanted so bad to say, “because he was getting loose or because they are investigating you for animal abuse”?  But kept quiet since this is all in Walter’s best interest and this temporary fence also benefits us in keeping dogs out.  This man works out of town and comes home on the weekend.  His two sons came to get Walter that day around 8:45 p.m. and the horse walked to the fence line with them and then surprisingly turned around and took off back to the house, it was hilarious!  It then started pouring so the kid asked if he could leave him here and I said sure.

Well I guess the kid was glad he did not have to take care of him because Walter spent the rest of the week with us and I never saw hyde or hair of him until Thursday that he brought him something to eat in one of those plastic containers. However Friday morning he and his little brother came at 9:40 a.m. and took him home.  Saturday morning Walter was here again and I am so glad because it got to 101 and he spent a good while resting and napping in the shade.


You all know how I hate mesquite trees and specially their pods.  You have to rake them up or their seeds will make even more trees sprout.  Well my little John “Walter” Deere LOVES the pods and he will literally yank them off the trees!  That has turned out to be very helpful for me.  Not only does he replace my weed eater but now my pruner as well!


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

9 comments:

  1. MsB, he should not be eating those beans, possibilty of impacting his bowel, too many at once can hurt him..
    Suerte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not thought about it Suerte but you are right. Only problem is that I do not know how to stop him.

      Delete
  2. Now that is a good helper. The green stuff he gets paid isn't money but grass and seed pods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the kind of green stuff I do not mind parting with.

      Delete
  3. Love that John "walter" Deere name...lololol. I was wondering about those seed pods too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have to mention it to his owner so he is aware that he is eating them and come cut them or perhaps tie him up in the shade of non-mesquite trees even though I would hate to see him tied up.

      I like his new name too :)

      Delete
  4. It's ok if he has hay to go with it, but nothing but beans will constipate him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would three feet tall grass constitute hay? He does eat more grass than pods.

    Waited for his owners to show up this evening but since the father has left for the week I guess the kid is going to leave him here, which is fine by us.

    At least he took away the rope poor Walter has been dragging around since I have known him and has gotten him tangled a time or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, grass will do, he just needs roughage to go along with it, the mesquite beans will ferment in his bowel if that's all he has to eat. We lost a horse to that back in the early 70's in the drought at our place in Sonora area. That was all there was to eat for them and the cattle at the time.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.