Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, September 23, 2011

Company, Dr. visit, more rain

Hi guys :-)  Decided to stay one more day in Houston and drove back to Del Rio early Monday morning.  Good thing I decided to load the car the night before because it was raining quite hard at 5:00 am and the last thing I needed was to get wet.

Knew my favorite uncle was going to come visit us but in a way I was dreading it because I have brought so many things down from my house in Houston that my room is crammed full of boxes and since my room also doubles as the guest room, that meant moving them.

Yesterday me, my mom and my uncle went to Mexico so I could see a doctor.  Most pharmacies have a separate doctor's office and I got to see one with no waiting line, was given a prescription, went and got the medication at the same pharmacy and was on my way in 15 minutes only because I had to go back to get him to apply the two penicillin shots he prescribed for me.

He charged me $35.00 mexican pesos for the office visit and $20.00 for each shot he administered for a total of $75.00 pesos.  Since I am lazy I use an exchange rate of $10.00 pesos to 1 USD.  So I saw the doctor for about $7.50 USD.

Medications cost $216.00 pesos or the equivalent of $21.60 USD.  The medication included 15 antibiotics, 10 gelcaps for fever and aches, 2 shots of penicillin, a small jar of cough syrup and a package of 4 disposable syringes.

Total cost for doctor and medications came to $291.00 mexican pesos or $29.10 USD. probably less because the exchange rate yesterday was $12.85 to $1.00 USD but I had pesos handy so I did not need to exchange dollars.  If I had bought dollars it would have cost me $22.65 USD.  For people who live along the US-Mexico border and do not have health insurance this is a viable option.

Last night we got more rain, I don't know how much but it was a good test for my Kodiak Canvas tent and it passed with flying colors.  I did not get a single drop of water in it and all my boxes are dry.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a great savings. I was wondering if you speak Spanish or is there someone who interprets for you? And, do you like the quality of care that you get? Anyway, hope the meds get you back to feeling good soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lou, I am bilingual but one does not need to be there are a lot of people in Mexico who speak English especially in business that cater to american tourist such as pharmacies, doctors, dentists, gift shops, liquor stores.

    I am pretty happy with the quality of care. Of course if you are a tourist who comes down for the first time you might feel better going to an american speaking doctor usually found in hospitals which specialize in different things.

    Those doctors charge from 300 to 400 pesos but you will be seen that same day and they also have in house labs so they can diagnose you pretty accurately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any idea what a dentist would charge me for a new set of teeth in Mexico?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No RedEyeMule I sure don't but I will be going to see a dentist after my trip back from Terlingua and I could find out for you at that time.

    As a reference point my mom had a set of dentures made about two years ago by a mexican dentist who graduated from the University of Houston and is bilingual. He charged her $5,000 pesos. Using the exchange rate of $12.85 that would be $389.11 USD.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.