Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Does anyone have a landline phone anymore?

This past year it has become clear to me that less and less people have a home phone.  Every year the phone book gets skinnier.  If you were looking up old friends all you had to do was go to the phone book or go online and use the phone book databases and whala you found the person.

This afternoon I could hear the sirens coming but had no idea if it was the fire department, sheriff, or ambulance.  Went to look out the window and saw it was an ambulance and then the sirens stopped.  This time I went outside and saw that it had stopped at our neighbors house which is three lots down.  He is an elderly gentleman who lost his wife last year.  His daughter and grandchild live with him.

Concerned mom called his house and that number is no longer in service.  This is something that happens to her all the time as she calls members of her congregation even senior citizens like her have turned their landlines off and now carry cell phones.

A couple of months ago I ran into an old friend and when we exchanged phone numbers, she said, “this is a landline, don’t you have a cell number?”  I told her I did not have one and she looked at me with distrust, like I purposely did not want to give her my non existent cell phone number, lol :-D

I wanted to thank the people that have signed up as followers; Billy Bob, Offgridterlingua, Bel, Brenda and Lou.  I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog.

12 comments:

  1. yea, I still got a land line telephone. Have to have it for my high speed internet service. Also have cell, but it is for MY occasional use like when I travel and my free Long Distance calls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you too! I am enjoying your blog very much. I too have dreams of Terlingua!

    I still have a land line and my daughter tells me all the time, when I ask for the phone number of a friend where she will be spending the night, "Mom! We are like the only people I know who still have a home phone!" I have a cell but only give the number to family and a few close friends.

    Btw...and now plan to go to Burning Man next year thanks to you! I can't stop reading about it and watching the live feed! I am going to find my local burners and start learning more.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should say "I now plan to go" not "AND now plan to go" Need an edit option after posting! At least for 2 minutes or something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent had a land line since the early 90s. and Im not planning on hooking one up here.

    glad to read yer blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for checking in on me BB :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben - you had to mention you had high speed internet!! I know you have AT&T which is what I used to have in Houston, probably the only thing I miss about living there.

    I don't think we will ever have DSL in Del Rio :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bel you have just paid me the greatest compliment. I did not think the Burning Man post had gone over well. I am so glad you found it interesting and went to the webpage and our now making plans to attend next year.

    I met some young men at the Chili cook-off that had gone to BM for the first time and boy I interrogated them like they were on trial, hahahaha. The more stories they told me the more was my determination to someday be able to attend.

    Texas has a BM regional called Burning Flipside which I am sure you already found. Here is a link if others would like to read more http://www.burningflipside.com/about

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bel don't worry about gramatical or spelling errors, we understand what you mean.

    I am a terrible speller and I am computer challenged to boot but even with these shortcomings I am glad I started my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gridnadamas - I thought you had hooked up a landline so you could get DSL. How do you get internet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just finished catching up on your blog. I will follow you and your dream of moving to west Texas with you. And yes I have a rotary dial, black desk phone. It was in my parants basement when they passed and we were cleaning their personal things. It still had the number on the dial from when I was growing up. RAce 2-0368 (722-0368). My older brother remembers when we had only 6 digits. It was RAce 0368. I brought it home and it has been working fine every since. Hope you have a great and safe weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lou you found yourself a little treasure in your parents basement. Most kids now days would not know what a rotary phone is much less how to use one.

    Have a great weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.