Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Courtesy Call

Got up early this morning (for me) 7:15 a.m. and starting cleaning house.  Mom got a call last night that some of her out of town friends wanted to drop by this morning.  I don’t have a problem with that, especially since it is not my house.  However I do not know why people have the impression that all senior citizens get up at the crack of dawn.  That is not the case with my mother.

Needed to have raked leaves today since it is trash day. We seldom if ever totally fill up the trash bin but I did not feel up to the task.  Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow and Friday.  Maybe I can get to it this weekend?

I have noticed that we have a lot of poison ivy popping up everywhere.  Last year I tried some homemade remedies but none of them worked for me.  If the weather is not too bad tomorrow, I think I will head out to Home Depot and see if I can find something stronger that will hopefully get rid of it.  Any suggestions?

Got a courtesy call from the bank manager of my local IBC. She wanted to know if I had any questions or issues with my new account and if she could be of any help. Very professional lady trying to do damage control.  She also inquired about my mother and as everyone knows my mother is the greatest treasure that has ever been bestowed upon me, so she definitively won me over with that.

Did you guys see the little boy that was camping with his family at Big Bend National Park and got mauled by a mountain lion?  One of his cheeks was very swollen and scratched.  The report said when he gets home he will have to undergo rabies shots.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. I had some poison Ivy that I killed witht this mix

    1 cup salt
    8 drops liquid detergent
    1 gallon vinegar

    Combine the salt and vinegar in a pan and heat to dissolve the
    salt. Cool the vinegar, add the detergent, and pour some of the
    liquid into a large spray bottle. Spray the vegetation. (You can
    also just pour the mixture onto the weeds.) Refill the spray
    bottle as necessary. Note that this formula will kill all the
    vegetation, so make sure that you are only spraying the plants
    you want to kill. It won't happen overnight, but it works.


    And if you want a natural way.
    Spanish and Angora goat breeds absolutely love
    poison ivy.

    Good luck with it. AND if you get it on you. Wash off real good with bleach,and wash off your gloves and any other clothes that got on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben I did something similar to this last year but in a smaller scale but unfortunately it didn't work either on the poison ivy or the weeds.

      I think they called for a vinegar with a higher acidity level than the one they sell in grocery stores and maybe that was the reason it didn't work for me.

      Thank you though.

      Delete
  2. For small areas at a time, pour boiling water on the poison ivy, but be careful and don't breathe the steam. Boiling water kills all vegitation it touches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one seems doable, especially since it does not take much effort. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. MsB, I did see that story on the cat attacking the child in the Park, do you know if they tracked it down? I have not heard the outcome, I know they had dogs on it's track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the story on KENS5 San Antonio on Tuesday and the reporter focus more on the attack and how the father had to stab the mountain lion with his pocket knife to get him to realease his son.

      Wanted to mention that the family was not camping or hiking they were coming out of a restaurant in the Chisos Mountain lodge. His mom was holding his hand and his dad was holding his brother's hand when this creature came out of nowhere and snatched him from his mother.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.