Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Trip to Eagle Pass, Texas

Eagle Pass is about an hours drive from Del Rio. Though they have approximately the same population, Eagle Pass has two international bridges less than a mile apart and very busy.  The old bridge known as Bridge #1 is opened from 7:00 a.m. to 10:45 p.m.  The toll is $2.50 USD or $40.00 Mexican Pesos. The weekend toll rate which applies from Friday at 7:00 p.m. to Sunday at 7:00 a.m. is $3.00 USD or $48.00 Mexican Pesos.




 





During the Mexican War a company of Texas Mounted volunteers under the command of Capt. John A. Veatch established an observation post on the Rio Grande opposite the mouth of the Mexican Rio Escondido and beside an old smuggler’s trail that crossed the river at this point.  The crossing, known as El Paso del Aguila, was so named because of frequent flights of Mexican eagles from the wooded grove along the Escondido. Even though it was abandoned by the military at the conclusion of hostilities, it still remained a crossing point for trappers, frontiersmen, and traders.



Eagle Pass vibrant downtown area



The village, named after the crossing on the Rio Grande, changed from El Paso del Aguila to Eagle Pass as the Anglo presence grew.  Eagle Pass was the first United States settlement on the Rio Grande. Eagle Pass is one of very few cities that I have visited  that still has a vibrant downtown area.  I believe this is do to the fact that Bridge #1 is right next to downtown and people from Piedras Negras can easily walk there.  We saw a lot of people shopping on this day.


This is the view of Bridge #1 towards Mexico. Note the long lines to cross to the United States side.



There are two ways to cross to Mexico; one is entering the old part of the city with its stately old mansions on Ceylon Street that bring you to the downtown area. This is usually the route we choose to take. Took a lot of pictures of these majestic homes but unfortunately many of them were littered with political propaganda. I respect my readers and I do not want my blog to take on any kind of political connotations. 


Managed to crop a political sign on this majestic mansion so you could view its splendor








The other is to go down FM 375 also known as Bibb Street where most of the newer homes and businesses like the mall are located.  This route will take you to International Bridge #2.  We have never crossed into Mexico on this bridge but do take it to return to the US side as it has more lanes and personnel than Bridge #1.  This bridge is open 24 hours.



This old mansion had a Texas historical marker




Tried as I did my little cheap camera could not zoom in close enough to make out the marker



This weathered mansion has been vacant and for sale for as long as I can remember.  Bet the owners do not even know it is covered with political banners.
  


***********************************************************************************
DISCLAIMER:  I do not endorse or support any of the candidates that may appear in pictures on today’s post.

***********************************************************************************



$3.57 for regular was the going rate at a gas station in Eagle Pass on 2-23-12


7 comments:

  1. I want to apologize for some typos and because the pictures do not follow the narration.

    When I went to edit it, I accidentally zapped my post and had to start over and as long as it takes me to load pictures with my slow ISP, I did not want to chance it again.

    Thank you for your readership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tour, I enjoyed the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just paid $3.84 at walmart for diesel tonight. Thanks for the tour of Eagle Pass. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diesel at $3.84 in Del Rio is a bargain in comparison to Eagle Pass and other nearby towns.

      Have a safe trip to your next destination and thank you for dropping by.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've ever been in Del Rio, at least that I can remember!

    Love those old houses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These homes were majestic. But the posters of the candidates were bothering.


    -----------------
    Anna Scheller
    Capri Temporary Housing
    http://www.capritemporaryhousing.com
    1320 East Garrison St Suite D.
    Eagle Pass, Texas, United States 78852
    830-433-8797

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.