Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rain, Sleet and Ice

Mom woke me up at 9:30 a.m. and told me that she had just looked out the window and there was snow on the ground.  As sleepy as I was, I realized this does not happen very often so I quickly got up and grabbed my camera.



It must have looked very pretty between sunrise and 8:00 a.m. but by this time even though it was still cold it was not below freezing and most of it had already melted away.  Once outside I quickly realized that it was not snow but sleet and ice.



There is a neighbor that has three horses and they are out in the elements, they do not even have a shade or some type of roof to shelter them from the inclement weather.  He was by their corral or whatever you want to call it, just whistling away.  Wish someone would put him in that corral for a night and see if he was in a whistling mood in the morning.


It is kind of hard to see but the horses are on the other side of our fence

I have reported him on several occasions but nothing ever seems to be done about it.  Due to budget cuts they long ago did away with the county animal shelter and local authorities just don’t care.  Sorry for going off on a tangent but I can’t standby and see defenseless animals being mistreated.


You can see all the tall weeds Mata Gatos (Cat Killer) has not gotten around to cutting

If you have sent me an e-mail I apologize for not having answered them but I will soon.  If I think they might benefit some other readers I will do a post on the subject in the not too distant future but either way I will let you know.

I want to welcome Mohave Rat to my follower list.  I appreciate your readership.

4 comments:

  1. My understanding of Texas law is that for horses you have to provide some type of shelter. The shelter can be just about anything, one sherrif even told me that trees could be considered shelter from the sun, but if there is no shelter the sherrif will usually do something.

    My understanding is that there needs to be shelter from sun, and cold. I'm not an expert, just a horse owner.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has one small mesquite tree that barely provides shade for one horse in the summer.

      Once I spoke to a county agent and he went to talk to him. All he did was put a blue tarp to cover the then small horse. why did he not use a silver tarp? It does not matter the wind has since shredded it.

      These horses have even been through a hail storm that severely damaged mom's car can you imagine how these poor animals felt after being pelted by golf size hail?

      Wish they would take them away from this not only irresponsible but heartless individual.

      Delete
  2. Too bad about the horses not having shelter!

    We've been getting rain here and I'm sure glad no white stuff!

    The first picture reminds me of when I built a large cart about the size of a golf cart. I put a hitch on it and took it to swap meets where I'd hook the trailer to it and load it up with some of the kids and grand kids and pull them around the swap meets. We always had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you guys have been having rain every little drop helps especially after the long drought.

      You need to built another cart and bring it down to the cook-off. These guys were having a blast. Did you notice the improvised 2x4 they are sitting on?

      One of my Terlingua friends belongs to a camp called The West Texas Breast Inspectors and back in 2007 they brought an old mail truck and hitched a trailer with a sofa (one guys wife had gotten a new one) and all week we got to ride around in comfort. Saturday night they set it on fire.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.