Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Texas Oil Boom and the 2014 Chili Cook-Off

The Texas oil boom had an effect on this year's attendance. There was a noticeable decline of men in the 20 to 30 year range at the cook-off.  Krazy Flats is the area where most young people camp out and congregate. They ride around all day and part of the night...there is always music and parties going on...however, it was not to the level of prior years.


A look at Krazy Flats from my campground.


Notice the helicopter in the background?  Last year some folks had to be air lifted due to an accident. This year we wondered what happened but looking through my binoculars all we saw was that two young girls got off and a Sheriff's deputy in his four wheel vehicle went and got them.


Remember this Casita in the background that came to claim their Terlingua prime piece of real estate at the same time I arrived to claim mine?  Wow, no wonder they came early...look at all the people they reserved a spot for.


Even in the area where I camp there were large areas that were not camped in.  As a matter of fact it became like a large avenue for people to ride around in.  I was glad since that diverted the traffic and dust from reaching me and my camping gear.


One was even playing his guitar as he rode around.


One of the flags in the background says Lotus...been a long time since I heard that word. They had a real nice rig and were towing that white RV as well.


While you can walk around, this ranch is BIG...it is much easier if you or your friends have something to ride around in.


The more people it can fit, the better :)



Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. I am not much of a party person. If I partied like they do there at the cook-off, at my age, it would kill me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are plenty of people that attend that do not necessarily go to party. They like to people watch and soak in the atmosphere.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Dizzy, I went to the cook off in the late 70's and was hung over for a month. It would kill me now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, from the Red Eye Mule. No party for me, I go to bed with the chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RedEyeMule!

      Long time no hearing from you. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  4. When looking at your pictures I think the camping takes in a lot bigger area than I thought it would. No wonder there is so much activity going on. Glad you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a cheap camera and it does not take the best pictures. Sometimes when I take pictures of Krazy Flats I use the zoom function which makes it look closer than it really is.

    There is a larger area that is not visible from where I camp and one has to have a vehicle or strong legs to take it all in. For example that first picture of the camo camp is at the end of Krazy Flats and in the background is the area where my friends and I are and to the right of it ...the cooks area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Krazy Flats, I have been going for three years now and can't until Nov so I can go again. I love to party at my old age of 64. It makes me feel young and the people there young and old make me feel welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Age is just a number, when I go to Terlingua I feel like I am still in my 30's :D

      Our camp has people of all age groups and we all have a great time when we are there, We love Terlingua virgins no matter what age they may be and strive to make their first time special.

      Sorry for the late reply Unknown but I have had computer problems.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.