Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

A very productive day

The phone rang at 8:00 a.m. it was a computer generated call from FedEx letting us know they had a delivery that required a signature.  Even though I had only slept for three hours decided to get up in anticipation of said delivery.

The FedEx guy is a friendly and personable guy not to mention he is also easy on the eyes. Why is it that a women looks old with gray hair but a man looks distinguished by comparison?

Finally got mother to fill out her ballot (she votes by mail) and drove to the post office. When was the last time I was there?  Our P.O. Box was overflowing. The County Courthouse is close by so went to exercise the most important right in our democracy and did early voting.

Headed to the Recycling Center to get rid of my plastic, steel cans, cardboard, and junk mail.  The railroad tracks are behind the center and there was a train that was going nowhere so decided to go pay my dad a long overdue visit.


Have been thinking a lot about him especially during the funeral and tributes to the late Senator John McCain. I can not believe he has been gone for 18 years and I still miss him terribly.  Dad always included me in his plans so I was a  little dismayed when I found out he had bought two gravesites but failed to buy one for me.


When he passed away I decided to purchase my own gravesite.  However, all the ones in the proximity to my parents had been sold years before. Well, at least I will be in the same cemetery.

I was getting hungry so headed back into town. While I am a full grown woman responsible for my own decisions, I am placing all the blame on Barney of Old Fat Man fame for my choice of eating establishment.  He recently wrote about his visit to Whataburger and I have been thinking about doing the same since then.  It was delicious!!!


Headed to the mall to walk off some calories and stopped at Ross and Marshalls...the best part...I did not purchase a single thing!

Then headed to Long John Silver's to pick up some dinner for Mom.  All in all, I got a lot done today.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


9 comments:

  1. Yep blame me for the drink and burger but not the fries. I quit them years ago in my effort to avoid the swell belly syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Barney, I will only blame you for the burger. The drink was unsweetened ice tea, probably the only non-fat item in their menu.

      I do not even like fries and usually fed them to the stray dogs I cared for, now that they are gone I tried feeding them to the cats but they do not seem to like them.

      The doctor told me I had to eliminate all potato items from my diet but today I disregarded her advice and I am glad I did!

      Delete
  2. You were right to blame Barney... every time he writes about Whataburger I think about it. :-)
    I believe there are a few in northern Florida & I'll be down that way
    come December...

    I wonder about potatoes when I hear of them being put on the bad food list. I'm thinking it's not because of the potato itself but because of the stuff we put on them or the way they are cooked.

    I hope the rest of your week goes as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From everything I read potatoes are a very nutritious food. They are made into not so good food by the way they are cooked in fats etc.

      Delete
    2. Rob, I am prediabetic and the doctor told me I had to stay away from starchy food. She emphasized avoiding peas, corn and potatoes. I am ok with the first two but I certainly enjoy potatoes in particular in Mexican beef and/or chicken caldos.

      Delete
  3. I don't eat potatoes very often, and never french fried, but if and when I want them I will eat them. I try to eat healthy but the medical profession changes the list drastically every so many years. I wonder how many times they have changed on things such as coffee, etc., so I ever listen to them.

    When my dad died in 1978 many in our family bought plots in the same area, including my ex and me. Now my ex is in there but I will never ever go back to Cincinnati so my plot will just sit there until some family member (or not) wants to use it. I've already signed the papers for donation to science, and they will return whatever cremated remains are left to my family. Not a pleasant subject to think about, but my kids are all okay with whatever I choose to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the medical community flip flopping on what foods are good or bad for you. Even recently about the benefits of aspirin so I do not listen to them either. I do like potatoes and I have kept them on my diet but I just do not consume them as often as I would like.

      I remember you mentioning on your blog your desire to donate your body to science. That is commendable you are the only person I know that plans to do that but most importantly that has taken the step to actually sign the paperwork. Good for you!

      Delete
  4. You sure were a busy bee today. I had plans to but aside of sticking to Fred getting groomed my outdoor activity went out the door when the dust rag found my hand. LOL Well not just that but the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, I may have accomplished a lot yesterday but I can not say the same for today. I lost my mojo when I was about to plug in my weed eater and attempt to attack the jungle that is the backyard :-(

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.