Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, September 22, 2018

My first political rally...

If you are new to my blog, I would like for you to know that I seldom if ever bring up the two subjects that I consider taboo...religion and politics.  I have quit following many a blog that does or if I happen to like the blogger I will just skip that day's post.

With that said, besides this being my Blog it is also my Cyber Journal where I document things that are of importance to me and which I do not want to forget.  Wanting to be respectful to all my readers...today I am going to write about politics...so you might want to skip this post and hopefully come back to read my next blog topic.

***************************************************************************************************************

My parents instilled in me the need to make our voice be heard through voting and I do so religiously, not just on important elections but in all elections in particular local ones. These are different and trying times in our country and voting is just not enough.

I am an Independent voter, I vote based on the values, positions, and merits of a candidate, not party affiliation. I have been following a candidate for Senate closely and like what he represents. I have never donated to a political candidate before but I felt compelled to do so because there is a lot at stake here.

I was elated to learn Beto would be in Del Rio today and I just had to make an appearance. This was my first political rally so I did not know what to expect. I showed up very early and got a good seat. We were treated to an excellent local band "Conjunto Mi Rey".


Beto has the backing of the "twins" better known as Julian and Joaquin Castro.  Julian is a former mayor of San Antonio, Texas who went on to become Secretary of Housing and Urban Development under President Obama.


Joaquin Castro is a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Texas 20th District.

This promising young man Beto O'Rouke gives me hope. He has traveled to all 254 counties in Texas wanting to listen to what the constituents want from their representatives.


I do not know how he does it for last night he was in a debate with his opponent that was covered nationally from Dallas, Texas.  Yet here he was at an 11:00 a.m. rally in Del Rio, Texas. I should point out that his opponent left immediately after the debate yet Beto stayed and took additional questions from those in attendance.


After the Del Rio event, he was headed to two more rallies in Eagle Pass and Laredo, Texas.  I have NEVER seen his opponent anywhere near Del Rio, he has not even held a single town hall meeting.

BETO for Senate!!!


P.S.  A video you might enjoy if you are a Beto supporter
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFn04RRqazc

6 comments:

  1. It's good when a politician comes to you, even better when you agree with what he says. I cannot remember the last time I actually saw someone who was running for an office and wanted my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is precisely for the reasons that you mention plus a few more that I am supporting this candidate. He reminds me of a young Robert Kennedy.

      Delete
  2. If you feel strongly about something you have to do it, and you did. We all have our own minds and should follow how we feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am independent also. The democrats only won 27 counties in Texas in the 2016 presidential election. However the border counties and all the metropolitan areas voted blue. The RNC will outperform the Dems in attack ads while the Dems will look like Johnny-come-latelys in retaliation to the mudslinging. Fear of the alternative will get the red counties (especially the rural ones) out to vote. Beto and his group need to rally the Latino/Hispanics to actually get out and vote this time. If they do, they have a good chance at least to be very close if not a win Nov. 6th. If not then Cruz will cruise to victory. Another interesting fact is that Cruz beat the hell out of Trump in the primaries in Texas for what its worth. He has a loyal base. Its gonna get real ugly for the next 5 weeks to watch any TV....as if its not already. I have a lot of friends and customers on either side. Many bitch when they aren't in power. I worked with one guy who complained every day about Bush 2 and Cheney. Every day! When the 2004 election came he was still complaining about the outcome. Then he told me he didn't vote because his vote didn't mean anything. I told him I never wanted to hear another word and I didn't. We can complain, we can rally or march, we can raise all kinds of hell, but the one thing we really only have is our vote. And it counts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Latino/Hispanic community does not have a good record when it comes to going to the polls. Neither do young people that is why I was pleasantly surprised to see many young volunteers at the rally.

    The RNC is already dumping tons of money to fund negative ads against all Democratic Texan candidates. Like you mention it will only get worst closer to the mid-term elections.

    Funny, I also have a friend that complained about the George W. Bush administration (though not daily) come to find out not only did she not vote...she wasn't even registered! Same as your friend, thought her vote did not count.

    I do not know if you watched the debate between Beto and his opponent (can not even bring myself to type his name) and when the moderator asked them to say something nice about their opponent Beto took the high road...his opponent not so much.

    Even today Beto defended him after he and his wife were harrassed at a restaurant and had to out a side door. Beto is truly a class act!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.