Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Rain in the forecast?

This past trip to San Antonio really tired me out, it has taken me several days to recoup. I finally made it to the grocery store Saturday afternoon but it was too late to pick up a lunch plate at Stripes, everything was dried out by then.

I did not feel like eating another salad so stopped at KFC as I do not think my mother could take another one of my meals!  Today, I did make it to Stripes but I guess they made their green hatch chile enchiladas early as they looked dry...I bought them anyway!

I stopped at The Dollar Tree to pick up a couple of items before it becomes the Three Dollar Tree with all the planned tariffs on China. Ended up buying more than I thought so nixed the trip to Walmart to stay within budget.  Maybe I can make a grocery run to Ciudad Acuña sometime this month.  Just remembered that Mexico celebrates their Independence Day on September 16th so it will have to be after that date as the lines to cross will be long on both sides of the border.

Being the "centavera" that I am (Spanish for penny pincher) I was going to treat mother to a frosty at Wendy's (they are on special for .50 cents) but when I was going to bring the car around it had gotten very cloudy and the wind had picked up so nixed that idea.

I am ambivalent on the weather forecasters claim of rains for the next couple of days.  Our yard is already a jungle from the ones two weeks ago. Where is my tall weathered cowboy who enjoys mowing the lawn?

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

22 comments:

  1. Woke up to some rain here (still in Maine) this morning. It looks like it was just passing by... Good luck with the weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heard it is warmer than usual up where you guys are at. Our part of the county got a few showers but other areas got some heavy rains.

      Delete
  2. Centavera! LOL - never heard that one! Would have been a good loteria card.

    I got a nice shower with some donner and blitzen....things are looking up to bust the drought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw that some areas of San Antonio got up to 7 inches this evening. We usually stay in the I-10 Wurzbach area where there were water rescues this evening. Glad the rains came tonight and not last week.

      Delete
    2. My pimento jar rain gauge holds 4" and was full. Power went out at 9:45 til midnite. Gets hot real quick! Looking at a generator from Harbor Freight but will procrastinate and not get it and forget it til I need it again. Same ol' same ol'. ((sigh))

      Delete
    3. The only problem I see is that you can not use a generator inside of your house.

      Delete
    4. No - they are pretty emphatic that you will DIE if you try - I have a covered porch I could put it under and then run an extension cord thru a window to a surge protector multi outlet. My portable A/C runs 1200 watts and I would probably use a fan and 1 light in addition. A small 3000 W should suffice. Not looking for something to run the whole house. (El Centavero)

      More rain expected! Yay - fill up that aquifer!

      Delete
    5. In that scenario it would work.

      Lol...El Centavero...jajajaja!

      Everyone seems to be getting their fair share of rain but us. We got a couple of five minute showers but that is fine by me as I still have water in the rain catchment from the rains two weeks ago.

      The good thing is that the rains are falling in the aquifer's recharge zone which is good for you guys.

      Delete
  3. Thre dollar tree!! haha, that's funny. I've seen King dollar go from a buck, to 1.09, to 1.15 and now 1.25 but I just figgered it was like everything else just goin up with the times. I sure don't wanna get used to saying, "I'm gonna run to the three dollar store"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Redmike! The way things are heading we might have to call it the Three Dollar Tree store.

      It has been such a long time since I have been to King Dollar we do not have one of those in this part of the state.

      Delete
  4. Trips can really take a toll on us prime of life folks. We really had one heck of a rain storm come through here yesterday that lasted well into the night. Sorry about you plate that you and your mom enjoy so much. Yes I to am waiting for the high dollar prices thanks to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that phrase Jo, "prime of life folks"...sounds more diplomatic than "old folks" :)

      Delete
  5. I once went to a dollar store in N. Carolina and found they had few items for one dollar. I saw some items cost with prices such as $8.99, so I never went back there.

    I'm sorry but I heard your tall weathered cowboy ran off to the mountains with my cowboy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Gypsy! They're aheaded toward Brokeback Mountain!

      Delete
  6. Gypsy and Andy I really needed a laugh this evening and you all provided it...thank you...jajajajajajaja!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noon news shows rain in Del Rio! Happy for you. Good for the mesquite trees and next year's bumper mesquite bean crop too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was not nice Andy :-(

      Now I am not going to let you know that Univision is having a special honoring Manu this weekend. They are the only network doing this (me sticking my tongue out at you).

      Delete
  8. No problema, Ss. Tengo VCR con VHS tape y recuerdo lo Univision por la Manu especial programa. (No lengua por favor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, did that make any sense? My espanol could use a refresher course. This gringo is doing the best he can!

      By the way - mesquite beans are becoming a health food - maybe you can cash in on this?

      Delete
    2. Are you trying to walk back your mesquite comment? It is NOT working!

      Entendí lo que me trataste de decir pero no te vendría de más un curso para refrescar tu Español (yo sacándote la lengua).

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. If you lived nearby I would make you help me rake those little suckers.

      Apology accepted.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.