Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Making the jungle go away

Spent two days looking for a business card without success. On a whim did a Google search and lord and behold the person I was looking for suddenly popped up...why did I not think of it sooner?


His business partner who happens to be his son answered and told me his dad was out of town on a job where there is no cell phone coverage, gave me his number and told me he would be back that afternoon.  This happened to be on Wednesday the day I went to Mexico, came back late and had to prepare dinner for mother.


I called him on Thursday and never got a callback.  Called him again on Friday only to get his mailbox.  He finally returned my called and told me "why did you not say you were Mr. X's daughter?"...I so wanted to say "because he has been dead for nearly two decades...but decided to bite my tongue".


He told me he would be right over, this was around 10:00 a.m.  I guess his definition of "right over" and mine are not the same.  I told him that sometimes it was hard to hear someone knocking on the front door because mother has the television volume on high.  He told me he would call me before coming.


At 4:25 p.m. I hear some loud honking but paid no mind as I thought it was the neighbor. Honking continued so I went outside and there he was. No call just showed up six hours and 25 minutes later. Said his telephone had not registered my number so he had no way of reaching me.


Told him all that I needed to be done, he gave me an estimate and we came to an agreement.  He said he would come today but that it would probably take him two or three days to make the jungle that is our yard go away.
 


 Once again thought he would come early but he did not show up until 4:45 p.m.  That is two wasted days that I was not able to make it to Stripes to purchase lunch plates as most of you know I hate cooking!


After seeing all that he accomplished this afternoon, I calmed down and thought...why did I not call him sooner?  This man is a hard worker, he loves to make money and he does not care that even though he is 69 years old he is willing to work 7 days a week if need be.


My dad and he were good friends and I am thankful that he still remembers him.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

12 comments:

  1. From where I'm sitting all the green looks nice...but it's not in my back yard!
    We're still up in Maine, the green is turning to orange, yellow & red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maine is a wonderful place to be at right now. Enjoy the changing of the leaves, we just do not get that here :-(

      Delete
  2. I was hoping you'd invite Barney over to photograph the flora, fauna and wildlife as he is a wizard with his camera but you did a fine job yourself. Hopefully you will be happy with the completed project.

    SPURS corners soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping Barney would stay longer so I could at least pay him a visit but he fled town.

      Lol, Andy you have been reading me too long and know my reactions. This time however ANYTHING is an improvement over what we had. The rains did a number on the weeds. This is supposed to be the desert!

      I have not had a chance to follow anything Spurs related lately. Like most Americans have been following the drama in Washington and I am ready for some entertainment.

      Delete
  3. That really was a jungle! I have some bushes that are growing so out of hand I'll need to call your guy from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now it is half a jungle he was only able to clear the northern section. Hopefully he will get to the southern part tomorrow where the more mature mesquite trees are located.

      Sometimes it is best to leave it to professionals.

      Delete
  4. My son has a large John Deer tractor and a smaller riding mower. Between the two of them, he keeps are place trimmed and mowed. Even though I have about 12 acres, there are two large ponds in the middle and a lot of oak trees around the edges that cuts down on the mowing area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky your son has a tractor and a riding lawnmower and is able to keep up with the maintenance of your property.

      I bought an electric lawn mower two years ago and I have never even taken it out of its box. They don't call me the queen of procrastination for nothing :-(

      Delete
  5. WOW that is a tad overgrown can't wait to see it when it's done. Looks like you have some nice stuff under there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, a tad overgrown is putting it mildly :D

      Hopefully after he is done there will not be a single mesquite tree not even one pod left.

      Delete
  6. Nooooo! I think it's beautiful like this! For someone like me who only knows Del Rio from Hwy 90, it's amazing to discover through your blog the green oasis there that's hidden off the beaten path. Your yard definitely helps put the verde in Val Verde county.

    I imagine you've been having phenomenal bird life coming through to visit your jungle. We won't talk about the monster bugs & snakes that are probably hiding in there, though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leilani, the recent rains have made everything green and lush. It was already overgrown from prior years so I really needed to take action.

      Never fear the header picture is still intact as the man I hired has not gotten around to plowing the southern part of the property. I can not say I am happy about it as this is where most of the grown mesquite trees are and I HATE mesquite trees!

      I don't really know if there has been bird life coming through but we certainly have had more than our fair share of butterflies.

      I have a terrible fear of snakes (not a good thing when I am considering living in Terlingua) but thanks to Blanca (momma cat) and her three offsprings they have done a good job of keeping creepy crawly and slithering things at bay.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.