Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, September 7, 2018

Rainy September

We have been having a lot of rain lately the good thing about that is that it brought the temperatures down to the high 70's but the humidity has been terrible. Today mother nature gave us a break and I was able to wash some clothes.  Rains are supposed to return tomorrow.

Being the insomniac that I am, I often watch infomercials late at night. There is one about this super tape where a man cuts his boat in half and then tapes it back together to show how waterproof this product is.  I think it costs $24.95 plus S&H, in my opinion, a bit too much.  Why do I mention this?  I have five 32-gallon trash cans where I collect rainwater...I refer to them as my primitive rain catchment system.

The big trash can with Paquito trying
 to catch a butterfly is NOT part of my
  rain catchment but the other two black ones are.

One of them developed a leak so I just quit using it. With all the rains from this week and from three weeks ago, I have used every trash can, bucket anything that will hold water.  I do not like wasting my liquid gold so decided to duck tape the trash can, but it did not work.  I do have a roll of heavy duty duck tape, I think it is called Gorilla tape but heaven only knows where amongst all my boxes it is located...see my need for a storage shed?


If you are new to my blog you might be wondering why I am storing rainwater...I am practicing for my eventual move to Terlingua.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. They might sell that tape at walmart, I know I've seen the waterproof rubber spray.
    There is a section on cisterns in the Texas Manual on Rainwater Harvesting if you ever want to go past the new trash can stage.

    http://www.twdb.texas.gov/publications/brochures/conservation/doc/RainwaterHarvestingManual_3rdedition.pdf

    I used new trash cans when I was in Minnesota (before I go a well put in).

    In Hawaii, on the Big Island (in some places) they used above ground swimming pools to store rain water.

    I know.. way too much information :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did a google search, "Walmart "as seen on TV" waterproof tape".... There are other options!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Rob for the Texas Manual on Rainwater Harvesting I had no idea such a document even existed. A good read on a rainy day like today.

      On an episode of HGTV House Hunters Hawaii I recall the real estate lady mentioning harvesting rain water in an above ground pool...I found that interesting.

      Delete
    3. Went to the Walmart site and found the name of the tape to be Flex Tape it had bad reviews but you are right there are other options.

      Delete
  2. Good for you with your water storage. I have plenty of running water from the tap, plus a 55 gal plastic water storage barrel. I can't figure out how the apparatus that came with the barrel is supposed to go, plus it is hot enough outside I think I'll wait until cooler weather arrives to fill up the barrel. I am of the opinion that our days of easy access to water and food won't last forever, and we need to have a plan for the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted a 55 gallon water barrel to start but the price even for an used one were high. While Del Rio has an excellent water source in San Felipe Springs I share your believe that we need to have an alternate plan for the future in particular when I move to Terlingua that has no nearby water source.

      Delete
  3. I have 55 gal. white drums I paid $20 each. They were used at a plant that makes orange juice hear in Mission. I cleaned the out several times and the first water I collected went on my plants and they lived. I keep two l/2 full with some bleach to use as drinking water for hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At $20 per barrel you definitively scored a bargain. The cheapest I found for a 55-gallon used blue barrel was $99.00 so I decided to go with new 32-gallon trash cans for $9.99 instead.

      I think your plan to use them for drinking water in case of a hurricane is excellent. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Saving rain water is getting to catch on everywhere. I meant to have one installed when the guy put a new drain spout and of course I forgot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In places like where you and I live JO it is becoming more prevalent and it makes a lot of sense as we usually find ourselves in severe drought conditions.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.