Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

City of Del Rio sets a new rain record for this day

The evening news ( Monday - Oct 8th) warned of heavy rains, thunder, lighting, and hail for the area during the nighttime hours.  I was going to bring the car from the garage/carport to the front of the house so I would not have to walk in the rain and mud in the morning until I heard that four letter word...HAIL...and decided to leave it in the garage.

I went to bed early (for me) I think it was around 1:30 a.m.  I awakened to the sound of heavy rain and thunder turned to look at the clock and it was 3:01 a.m. Then the lighting show began and it seemed like they were striking very close by.

You could hear heavy sheets of rain hitting my bedroom window.  Got up to check on the usual places that leak mostly in the kitchen and glad I did.  The bucket was almost full and I found two new leaks :-(

Went back to sleep only to be awakened at 4:15 a.m. by a "robocall" from the City of Del Rio alerting the citizenry that we were experiencing a severe thunderstorm...no s*#t...it took them more than an hour to let us know that?

We were supposed to leave for San Antonio in the morning so went back to sleep. The darn phone rang again at 5:23 a.m. another "robocall" to let us know the thunderstorm was over.  As soon as I hung up the lighting and rain started up again.  Maybe it was over in the City of Del Rio but not in the County?  Had enough unplugged the phone from the jack!

My alarm went off at 7:30 a.m. and when I looked out the window the front yard looked like a lake. Are you kidding me?  Turned on the TV and saw that Uvalde was heavily hit after having already received five plus inches the day before, there were many street and road closures in the area.


Basically, all the rain that fell in Del Rio was heading east toward San Antonio, Texas.  Made an executive decision and called to cancel both our appointment and hotel reservation.

Del Rio set a new record for this day of three plus inches of rain.  The sun came out this afternoon which helped a little in drying our mud filled yard.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. Wow. Y'all will hopefully dry out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forecast calls for more rain starting Sunday and that includes all next week.

      The last time that I remember it raining so much was back in 1974 when it rained for weeks on end.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Some storm! Glad you're in a dry place to write about it this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I write my posts it is usually past midnight. I have my blog set for Pacific Time to give me two additional hours. This did not take place last night it took place Tuesday October 9th.

      Delete
  3. So, I guess it was you who sent all that rain over our way (grin). No flooding here, but as you know, the area around Houston is used to lots of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good call on staying home yesterday. They are still looking for the 4 RVers swept away by the Llano at Junction on Monday, and a motorist is also missing at Sabinal, apparently swept from a Sabinal River crossing early this AM (Wed).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard about the motorist in Sabinal. The only ones I knew of was the four men in Junction who lived in that RV park that got swept away. I believe they worked installing pipeline in the area. It is so sad.

      Delete
  5. It was smart to cancel your appointment. No sense in going anywhere during and after weather like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I thought, no sense putting my mother and I in a perilous situation when it can be avoided.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.