Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, October 6, 2018

Venting my First World problems

I got up early (for me) so I could run the errands I have not been able to get to this week waiting on the yard man to finish clearing the lots. Went to little HEB, the post office, Walmart, Stripes and was back home before noon.

The first thing I noticed this morning was how much my arms and back hurt.  Thursday I decided to trim or re-trim the trees his assistant did not get to or did not do an adequate job with.  His assistant is a guy in his 70's who is in charge of mowing, trimming and weed eating. 

Unbeknownst to him, I refer to dad's friend as Pollito (young male chick)...because per his words, not mine, he likes Pollitas (young chicks) by young he likes them in their 40's top 50's...he is 69 years old.

Pollito
Earlier this week Pollito told me he had to go to another job but his assistant would remain. Saw him working hard so went to take him some cold bottled water during his break only to find that he had already downed two beers and was about to pop open a third. I am not a prude and I certainly enjoy a cold beer but not when I am working. He left soon afterward.


I am glad I got my ladder out and trimmed as many trees as I could and added them to the pile of trash as Pollito came back on Thursday afternoon with his big truck to remove the debris from the two lots cleared.
 

He started clearing the final lot on the southern part of mother's property but did not make much headway.  Pollito did not show up Friday or today...hoping he shows up tomorrow?  This has really stressed me out and kept me from doing other things I need to get to.


Next week we have an out-of-town doctor's appointment and they called to re-schedule it for an earlier time.  There is no way I can make that appointment without having to go the day before and staying overnight at our favorite motel.

When did my life get so complicated?  Once again just venting my First World problems...

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



8 comments:

  1. Wow! All that stuff done before noon & the cleared off area!! Do you have plans for the cleared area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be able to save enough to purchase a little cabin or shed. Other than that...not let another single mesquite tree grow back in its place.

      Only thing I do not like is that now mother's nosy neighbors can see everything I'm doing from hanging clothes to bringing in the groceries or yelling at the cats.

      On the plus side if someone jumped the fence or came into the property they would be spotted by them and hopefully call the police.

      Delete
  2. It seems hard to find good workers anymore. The work ethics have changed since I was a kid back in the 50's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Dizzy. The funny thing is that these are men in their late 60's and early 70's who grew up with that same ethic.

      Delete
  3. It's tough to find a guy like Pollito and com padre to clean up that lot for $20!

    (jk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish it was that amount, not even in Mexico could I hire someone to work for that pittance.

      Delete
  4. This would drive me crazy too. Bad work ethics for certain. I would tell him (when he is done) that you feel the price was to high for how long it took and to have his side kick drinking on the job and you having to fix what little he did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, I am in shock that this man that I knew to be a very hard worker and whom I see even on Sunday driving by in his tractor (his son owns some land on our same street) would have changed so drastically.

      I do not know if he over extended himself due to all the rain that has fallen these past two months and is running behind or if he is putting all his eggs on the oil exploration in Comstock, Texas (30 miles from Del Rio) which will bring him more money.

      He used to have much younger assistants but he could not keep them because according to him they wanted more pay but were not willing to work the time he required including weekends. I suppose that is why he puts up with his side kick drinking on the job.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.