Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, December 13, 2018

A good day to stay inside

The strong winds began at 10:02 a.m. and it got hairy there for a while. Even the cats slept in. I finally had the opportunity to catch up on indoor stuff.

One of those things was to check the current insurance rates in the Health Insurance Marketplace. The cheapest plan I found was $773.88 monthly...are they serious?  This plan is not even accepted at the medical practice I go to.


Guess I will once again go uninsured. Even the most expensive plan is not accepted at my doctor's and at $1,324.83 monthly completely out of my reach. I am not complaining though because including with prescriptions I might spend $1,000.00 yearly going to the doctor in Del Rio but getting my labs done in Mexico.

This evening the temperatures dropped quite a bit at least it felt like that for us Texans who are not used to cold weather.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Spurs Corner

We are on a roll...38 point blowout against the Clippers! 

Loved seeing Boban Marjanovic and I wasn't the only one as many Spur fans gave him a standing ovation when he was inserted into the game.  Do not see that happening when Kawhi comes to town.

Congratulations to Davis Bertans and his wife on the birth of their first child.

8 comments:

  1. The medical industry here in the USA is a real money maker! Looking at your insurance quotes I'm reminded...
    I'm glad you're in a position to afford medical care, even if it is international medical care!

    When I worked at the warehouse people were paying 25% of their paycheck for insurance. I worked with some older folks (60+) who were financially in a position to retire but continued with that manual labor job because they needed "health insurance". Making it to 65 & Medicare was the goal!

    I can get all worked up over what the industry charges us without hardly even trying... but I won't :-)

    Have a good weekend Ms Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my Houston neighbors works at a job she absolutely hates only so she can have health insurance. In her case it paid off because she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

      She is in her 50's and does not know what she would have done without said insurance. Her goal is also to be able to make it to 65 to be eligible for Medicare and finally be able to quit her job.

      Have a good weekend as well Rob.

      Delete
  2. Even though I am old and on Medicare, I try to stay away from doctors as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I try to avoid doctors as much as I can but if I do not go to mine at least twice a year they will drop me as a patient...sad state of affairs in the medical industry!

      Delete
  3. Once you sign up with Healthcare dot gov, your premiums will be a lot lower based on your income than what is shown there.. My premiums went from $883 to $46/month based on my income (which is just Social Security). Now that I will turn 65 in a couple of months I have to pay $134 for Medicare plan B and supplemental is $0. Can't complain.

    You can't go by the prices shown there until you register with the marketplace. Don't ask me how this works - doesn't make any sense and I'm decent with numbers.

    This wind is freaking me out!

    SPURS looking GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did register at HealthCare.gov you don't see my name because I cropped it out. I do not qualify for a subsidy because I do not make enough money.

      Despite the fact that I do not make enough I do not qualify for Texas Medicaid either. They explained my options in a pdf file I did not even know I received.

      Either way I am happy because I am coming out ahead of the game since they dropped the individual mandate.

      The winds here yesterday got as high as 60 mph and today they only reached 40 mph. Yesterday was scary I was afraid we might lose the roof.

      Delete
  4. Insurance is horrible and 2 of my kids got nailed on income tax for not having ins. And let me tell you it was high. One finally changed jobs and now has ins. the other just lost her job so she doesn't have health ins. This country really is terrible. Like Rob said don't get me started and I will not say anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Health care in the richest nation in the world is unattainable for many.

      Sometimes I really miss Houston and my lifestyle there. Other times I feel fortunate to live along the Texas/Mexico border because health, dental, eye care, prescriptions and let's not forget food are a lot cheaper when you cross the border into Mexico.

      I hope your daughter finds a job soon.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.