Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, June 2, 2019

Snake / Yard Work / Water Catchment

Began my day early as I wanted to tackle a portion of the backyard where the cats have been getting into a lot of stickers and where I usually park my car in order to unload groceries since it is closer to the kitchen and the nosy neighbors can't see what the heck I am bringing in.

We have not had much sun until today so the first thing I did was take my solar lights outside to be charged.  For those new to my blog...I am deathly afraid of snakes...I HATE THEM!!!  I can not even Google anything about them because a snake image will always pop up no matter the webpage and it traumatizes me.

I know it was the cats that killed it since this "baby snake" was dead, had a couple of ants eating it but for good measure, I pounded it with my shovel, moved it to where I was filling in the ruts covered it with dissolved horse pine pellets and as an extra measure of precaution pounded the dirt some more.


Early Saturday morning I was headed to HEB. I was opening the gate when a white truck came to a screeching halt and then went in reverse...it was Pollito...wanting to know when I was going to call him to do the yard.  Told him after the rains of this week pass and once the ground dries as I do NOT want any more RUTS.

After getting rid of the "dead snake" I went to put on my rubber boots, grabbed my trusted garden shears and began snipping away at the weeds after spraying myself silly with mosquito repellent. The mosquitos are everywhere including inside the house and Daddy Long Legs and his cobwebs are doing little to trap them.


I cleared an area big enough for my car and a little more but the pictures did not turn out very well. I filled in the ruts with almost sand like horse pine pellets that have been exposed to a lot of rain these past months.

Paquito was my supervisor this afternoon

Here is part of the debris I cleared and of course Paquito, Nico, and Sonny had to play in it and then mark it...Darn cats!!!



It appears "the boys" were worn out from watching me work so they took a nap...

Paquito napping by the 32-gallon water catchment
containers and the 5-gallon bucket.

Nico and Sonny sharing a hug as they napped completely
 exhausted after having to watch me do yard work.

I moved some more of my rain catchment around to three and five-gallon buckets as we are expecting rain all this coming week and I need more room in the 32-gallon containers I have dedicated for that purpose.


It has been hot and humid it reached 90 today with a heat index of 95 degrees.  I hope I can get some well-deserved sleep tonight.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. You sure have been busy doing outside chores getting things cleaned up. Now to rest a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh George, if I only could :-(

      I am on my second cup of peppermint tea and I am not at all sleepy. Insomnia is a terrible curse!

      Delete
  2. You sure were busy, look at those cats sleep! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they could only donate to me a fourth of their sleep cycle in exchange for the room and board I provide them...I would call it an even exchange...sadly, that is not possible.

      Delete
  3. The part of Texas you are in unfortunately has lots of SxxxxS and they enjoy the warmer weather.
    Working in the yard will help reprogram you to sleep when you need it.
    Be Safe around the SxxxxS and Enjoy the cleaner yard.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rick for understanding my fear of these creatures and not naming them.

      Unfortunately, I am on my second day of not being able to sleep even with all the work I put into clearing a small part of the yard yesterday.

      Delete
  4. I understand that fear hate those slithering things. At least it was dead. Sorry you are have trouble sleeping, my daughters suffer from insomnia, I can sleep on a bed of nails I think. The problem I have is waking up to use the bathroom then I would be wide awake. So before I go to bed I take a Tylenol PM. to bad it doesn't work for everyone.
    That was some tough yard work you did today. Hope you get some sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had almost forgotten about your run in with a life rattler, YIKES!!! Have you seen it since?

      Having insomnia is an unwelcome problem. Have tried everything, some may work for a while others not at all. Several doctors have wanted to give me sleeping pills but I have refused as I do not want to get addicted to them.

      Delete
    2. Luckily I have not seen it again.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.