Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, May 8, 2020

City of DR billing problems/ Prescriptions / Americans smuggling beer into Mexico

The City of Del Rio Water Department has been having billing problems for a couple of months now that I was not aware of until I saw it being covered by the San Antonio television stations a few months back.

The city was hacked in November or December of 2018 and it apparently caused many problems. People were getting bills for $700.00 or more and citizens were showing up at City Hall meetings by the hundreds. Since it did not happen to us I figured we were in the clear.

Our bill has doubled and it is showing an outrageous amount of usage so I contacted them before Texas closed down and issued stay at home orders. I left dozens of messages who were not returned. This past Tuesday I was finally able to speak to an employee. A city worker came by today and with that out of the way I was free to run my errands.

I have been putting off going to pick up our prescriptions since we have had strong winds, gray skies, with the threat of storms not to mention very hot temperatures all this week.  I had no choice but to go today as the crowds are going to double in the stores with Mother's Day shoppers.

Finally was able to give my car a much-needed wash before heading to HEB to pick up my prescriptions. Was surprised gasoline prices still remain high in comparison to other parts of Texas. This Exxon corner station was selling regular unleaded for $1.739 a gallon.


Used the drive-thru as I did last month to pick-up my medications. If you look to the right of the picture you see a white vehicle...this is the area where you park and pick-up your order if you requested curve-side delivery. Last month there were quite a few cars using this service not so today.


Even though I was in the safety of my own car I had both my gloves and mask on.


I drove around the front of the store to see how long the line was and was surprised that there was no line at all. While I prefer shopping at "Little HEB" there are many items that I have not been able to find on my prior visits such as pre-packaged salads, larger packages of pre-washed spinach, lettuce, good quality serranos, avocados and larger bottles of olive oil.

HEB was very well stocked and even at noon they still had plenty of toilet paper.




The same held true for paper towels. My favorite being Viva.


This one is for JudithK. They had more Bounty than Viva...so I win...even though it was not a competition, lol, just kidding :-)


I was literally dying for some sugar-free ice cream and my serranos.  Hopefully, I won't die by catching this virus by having ventured out to purchase them! Little HEB does not carry this brand of ice cream.


This week I saw HEB advertise in the San Antonio stations that they were limiting the purchase of any type of meat to two packages per customer.  I was surprised that in Del Rio they were allowing five items per transaction.  Since I do not cook it does not affect me.


I wanted to try turkey bacon but did not know what " Uncured Turkey Bacon" meant and I did not want to ask anyone so I bought a package of regular bacon instead.


I finally found out why there is a shortage of beer on the six o'clock news. It appears this problem is confined to border towns.  I mentioned on a prior post that Mexico declared the beer industry "non-essential" and ordered it to close during the pandemic. This resulted in panic buying throughout Mexico  All that beer has now been consumed so American citizens are smuggling beer into Mexico to sell to their families and friends.

You might ask...how can that be when the border with Mexico is closed? American citizens can still cross into Mexico...it is Mexican citizens with laser visas that can not cross into the United States unless it is an emergency and it is up to the border crossing agents to make that call.

We as Americans can cross back to our country any time we feel like it 24/7.  So that is why there is a shortage of beer in Del Rio. Even at big HEB, there were no 30, 24, 20, or 12 packs available.  However, I lucked out and took the last three 15-packs of my more affordable (sounds nicer than cheap) beer.

I was in and out in no time flat as the check-out lines were small.  Everyone was wearing masks and this old guy who was riding in an electric wheelchair had a pair of pink women's underwear as his mask...takes all types!

Swung by the post office to pick up the mail and send off a payment. So this was my exciting day!
We had a low of 61 and a high of 88 degrees today.

Good night. May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day






16 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get what you needed at the store even if you needed to suit up.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the moderate temperatures.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any temperatures under 90 degrees are welcomed and appreciated in this corner of Texas. Just for one day though I would trade your snow flurries in May.

      Be safe as well.

      Delete
  2. This was a pretty good post MsBelinda! I'd never noticed the turd in Saturday before and I'd never really thought of anyone just not cooking..
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the post Rob. I had never noticed the turd in Saturday either and died laughing when I saw it so wanted to share that and hopefully make some readers chuckle as well.

      I may not be able or for that matter even want to learn to cook but I can open and heat up a mean can of ravioli, chili or soup :D

      Happy weekend to you too!

      Delete
  3. Oh oh! Viva wins. The "in demand" paper towel. Ha. Actually I am using a cheapo brand at present and surviving in spite. Glad you've had a bit of cooler weather; I'm probably 250 miles away and it has been delightful especially compared to the 100 degrees a few days ago. Stay careful and safe. Thanks for your posts. I didn't know about the beer, only that it had been considered "non-essential" in Mexico. That ruling took some nerve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw the paper towels I immediately thought of you and just had to take a picture!

      Mexican citizens did not like their government's ruling either. Their president had a high popularity rating when he was elected but his administration handling of the Covid-19 pandemic and then the closing down of breweries has not helped his popularity at all.

      My cousin and his friends who voted for him now have a deep dislike for the man. It is a good thing Mexican presidents only serve a six-year term because he would not be re-elected.

      Delete
  4. Love the header!
    My daughter had found a 12 roll pk of tp a while back for me. And this order I did they had tp so I ordered another 12 roll pk. But oh how would love to have Charmin. OH well beggers can't be choosers I guess LOL
    Good that you found everything you needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the header as well made me laugh like a madwoman!

      Charmin has been running commercials reassuring its customers that they are hard at work making more toilet paper that will soon reach our stores. I thought that was a good marketing move on their part.

      Of all the things I purchased, I am glad I was able to find ice cream, serranos, and avocados...oh yeah...and the BEER :D

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you had quite the adventure shopping. It feels so strange to go out after staying home.
    I ventured out today and did some grocery shopping. There was not much meat and what I did get was twice the price from last month. There is a big sign apologising for the price increases. Everything else was a lot more expensive,too. Most customers were keeping their distance and a few wore masks. I have a feeling the prices will keep rising so I stocked up on some basics.
    Nothing wrong with cheap beer. I am amazed at how much they charge here for craft brews that taste like bilge water. And who gets to decide what is essential?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I went out was on May 1st to Dollar Tree and though it was only eight days ago it still scares me. I get all tensed up much like when I go to Houston and get panic attacks when I enter my sub-division remembering how I felt when I found the front door open and my house burglarized...that is a feeling you never get over!

      You were very brave to go out on a Saturday and Mother's Day weekend at that. I have to agree the prices are certainly going to go up. The items I buy the most have remained the same but I have seen a price increase in dairy products like milk and eggs.

      With the shutdown of some meat processing plants, many families will not be able to afford this new luxury product.

      You are so right some craft brews taste AWFUL...I much prefer my Natural Light a beer that I discovered in Terlingua and learned to enjoy over my beloved Coors Light.

      In Mexico, the President decides what industry is essential. Maybe they did not contribute to his campaign?

      Delete
  6. You didn't disclose the outcome of your water bill discussions. Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not disclose it because I do not know what the outcome is. He came took photos of the meter and walked around the yard. Said he would write a report and submit it to his supervisor.

      Delete
  7. As a Costco shopper buy Kirkland brand tp and paper towels. I've been noticing a difference in some of the toilet paper lately - it's all Kirkland brand but it definitely comes from a different mfr. It all works, so I am not picky. The only meats I eat are pork, chicken and turkey. As soon as the supply in my freezer is gone, I'm going to become vegetarian. The idea of raising and killing animals for food has become appalling to me, so I'm going to quit eating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have been following news reports of the Covis-19 outbreak in meat processing plants and seeing all the poor little animals that they will have to euthanize apart from all the ones that they regularly slaughter... that same thought of becoming a vegetarian crossed my mind... though I do not know if I could follow through with it.

      I have never been inside a Costco before the closest one is in San Antonio, Texas 144 miles from here though I am not a fan of having to pay an annual membership for anything.

      Delete
  8. I guy on a scooter wearing pink women's panties as a mask? Are you sure you weren't in WalMart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Positive Dave. Since the El Paso massacre at Walmart in August 2019, I avoid that store at all cost. This being a small town we only have HEB and Walmart to buy groceries at. Sometimes I do not have a choice though.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.