Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Dollar Tree no longer sells things for a dollar

In my last post, I mentioned that the State of Texas was starting the first phase of opening up the economy on May 1, 2020, even though we do not even meet the criteria to do so set out by the White House...but that is another story that I am not here to debate. The reason I bring it up is that I do not want to be in the streets when it happens as I am afraid this is going to be bad when the numbers come in in two weeks.

I got up early on Friday, May 1st, and headed to Dollar Tree while the morning was still cool. Dollar Tree in Del Rio is about the size of little HEB but it took twenty minutes of waiting in line before I was let in. Everyone was wearing masks and keeping their social distance.  I was the only one I saw that was wearing gloves.

I have not been here in a while and while I am not surprised things are no longer selling for a dollar. They are now carrying items costing $3.00 and $5.00 much like .99 Cents Only Stores...another store I miss from my days in Houston.

While HEB has limits and is low on many cleaners and disinfectants Dollar Tree only had a limit on eggs (two cartons per customer) and hand sanitizer (one per customer).  I only bought one dozen.


I was not thinking about buying hand sanitizer but when I found they were selling it I decided to do so. Though it cost $3.00 and you had to ask the cashier to give it to you.


I did stock up on Ramen soup, pasta, mac & cheese, spaghetti sauce, and mushrooms.  I saw a YouTube video where they suggested you write with a marker the date you bought your supplies that is why I have 5-01-20 on my items.


They had plenty of cleaning supplies including bleach.


Regular cleaners...


I have been reading that hair coloring was in low supply in stores nationwide and we all know about toilet paper.  I did not need either as I still have the Nutrisse hair color I buy at half the price in Mexico but picked one up as well as a package of toilet paper to either gift or use to barter should things get worst. You could buy all the toilet paper you wanted there was no limit.  So if you can not find the things you need at your local big-box store or grocery store head to Dollar Tree.


I do not plan to go out at all until I have to go pick up our prescriptions but like last time will use their drive-up window.  Another thing I bought that I almost forgot to mention was potato chips.

We have been having temperatures in the triple digits. Today was bad because the humidity came back. We had a low of 72 and a high of 102 with a heat index of 104 degrees.

For my real-life friends who read me, I decided to place the picture I could not send from my cellphone on today's blog. This is the gal that was in line in front of me at Dollar Tree. Now tell me she is not the spitting image of Ms. Toni from behind!



Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



8 comments:

  1. Sad news about Dollar Tree! I like the simplicity of everything being the same price, the savings too.

    That TP? If you hold on to it eventually you'll use it..just saying.
    Have a good week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was saddened as well Rob but you could see it coming. It was nice to know everything was the same price...no confusion :-(

      While everything I bought was a dollar except for the hand sanitizer it is still much cheaper than at the other stores.

      Have a good week as well!

      Delete
  2. We have both the Dollar Tree and Dollar General here. Dollar Tree has every item priced at one dollar. The other has higher prices but a larger selection. I got my stimulus check so I stocked up at both places. With all the problems with China and tRump, I expect supply chain problems or closures before long.
    I had a bad experience going to the hardware store. I called ahead but when I got there, no one was keeping their distance and no one but me in a mask. Then, of course, the card machine was acting up so three clerks grabbing my card, etc. I was a nervous wreck when I got home. I still need a few things from there but I am trying to work on a new plan. Everyone here acts like there is no pandemic. Scary as hell.
    Your temps sound hot. It has been nice here but still below freezing at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be long before $3 and 5 dollar items show up at your local Dollar Tree store. I personally dislike Dollar General because when my uncle visits he makes me take him and spends HOURS inside...I wait for him in the car!

      I decided I like what Whoopie Goldberg calls him---> "You know who"...I think I will borrow it. Anyhow, I thought of you when you said a couple of months back that you thought the Dollar Stores might close.

      With this blame, China crap because "you know who" refuses to take responsibility for anything...whatever happened to "the buck stops here"? I now see a very probable break in the supply chain and closures as you predicted.

      You are the second person I read about having problems with a local hardware store. I need to go to Home Depot but I see no benefit if I have to stand in line with a bunch of other people trying to pick-up my online order and worst yet with those not abiding by social distancing or not wearing masks.

      Today we hit 104 degrees with a heat index of 105 degrees...needless to say it was HOT! You are very lucky to see below-freezing temperatures at night.

      Delete
  3. OH NO not the Dollar Tree! I haven't been to one since early March when I went into self isolation. But I did a huge order from Neighborhood Grocery and it came today. I even managed to get a 12 roll pk of tp and 2 large boxes of tissues. I was only missing one item. My daughter bless her found me flour, Lysol wipes and Lysol spray. I should be set for at least or close to a month with this order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jo, unfortunately, they have gone the way other Dollar Stores have where nothing costs a dollar except cheap crap. Though I much prefer to buy at Dollar Tree.

      I had never heard you mention Neighborhood Grocery before but glad you were able to stock up on more items. We only have HEB and Walmart as the two big stores in town.

      Forgot to mention that Dollar Tree had plenty of...while, not Lysol brand...disinfecting wipes and spray and still for only a dollar.

      Delete
  4. We have a 99 cent store, dollar tree, and a couple of others, all of which charge more than a dollar for many items. We also have "The Dollar Store" and everything is $1. I haven't been there since the pandemic, so maybe they've had to go up, up I hope not. I probably have more cleaning and disinfecting supplies than I'll ever use. Did anyone think it would ever get to this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my opinion that few thought it would ever get to this but now that we are here...I think it is going to get even worst.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.