Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, May 16, 2020

Summary of my exciting week

Can you believe it is already May 16th?  Time sure flies by had no idea a week had already transpired and I had not made a post until a friend of mine called to make sure we were alright.  Like I explained to her I am not a daily blogger I wasn't pre-COVID 19 and I sure am not now that I have decided to continue with my self-isolation no matter what Greg Abbott the Governor of Texas says.

When you do not go anywhere it is hard to come up with content worthy of a post. We received much-needed rain on two occasions this week.  Monday night the weather guy said strong storms would only be affecting the Northern parts of Val Verde County...Del Rio and the Southern parts of the county would not be affected...WRONG! There was heavy rain, lightning, and the power went out for a few minutes but at least it topped off my rain catchment.

Last night we also had a rain event but this time we were forewarned since Wednesday. What caught my attention was the mention of the possibility of a one-inch size hail.  I covered dad's old car with cardboard to protect the front and back windshield as well as the front headlights and back tail lights.  It looked like a car from the barrio which is exactly what it is :D

The back windshield

Covered the front headlights...




The back tail lights...


 

The problem was that there was going to be a lot of wind and I did not want the cardboard to fly off so I threw some old bedspreads and pillows on top of the car and weighed it down with water containers.  Not exactly a pretty sight.


This is what it looked like this morning as they had been blown off the vehicle. The good news is that hail did not make its presence felt.


I considered putting a tarp on top of everything but I could not find my bungee cords or any kind of cords for that matter. As usual, the lights kept on going on and off but we only lost power for about five minutes.

The Mexican public address system came on while I was outside prepping the car saying a strong storm was on its way and to seek shelter and then their alarms went off. They timed it just right because as soon as the alarm finished the storm began.

You might ask...Belinda, why did you hear the alarms in Mexico and not the alarms in Del Rio?  That would be because my mother's house is on the southern tip of the county. We are closer to Mexico than we are to HEB.  If the alarms in Del Rio went off I did not hear them as I ran inside the house.

That, in a nutshell, is what consisted of my "exciting week"...now you know why I did not make a post!

This afternoon in the national news in Telemundo they were interviewing people on the American side of Tijuana, Mexico...San Diego, California...at a corner store and documenting all the beer people were buying to take back with them. The manager said they usually sell 50 cases a day but that since beer production ceased in Mexico they have been selling ten to twenty times more cases of this precious liquid!

We had a low of 68 a high of 92 with a heat index of 99 degrees.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



16 comments:

  1. We got some of that rain here in Lytle, and there was quite a light show. Thankfully, none of the hail made it our way, but we did have to pick up quite a few small branches from the pecan trees.

    We are not nearly as close to the border as you are, but we've laughed at how our little drive through beverage barn in town has had cars lined up all the way down the street. I think those are local drinkers, though. On the other side of the main road through Lytle is a shop that sells frozen drinks, like daiquiris and Margaritas. They place the Styrofoam cups inside a sealed plastic bag to make it legal. That business is booming too, so you have one side of the road filled with cars lined up to buy beer, and the other side of the road lined up with cars buying frozen drinks. Viva Fiesta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen a "drive-thru beverage barn" since I moved from Ohio many years ago. They are great, as I remember.

      Delete
    2. I have only been through a "drive-thru beverage barn" once one night that I had driven from Houston to Del Rio and did not feel like stopping at a corner store for a six-pack. I did not know how expensive they were! Of course, this was like twenty years ago have no idea if the prices have become more competitive.

      I do not like liquor but I do love Margaritas, I think it has been a good ten years or so since I last had one. I did not know that you could buy them to go until this pandemic happened and I see in the San Antonio TV stations how local restaurants are selling them along with take out meals...I could go for that!

      Glad your little town carved a niche for itself and is making it successful during these trying times.

      Delete
  2. Glad you are Safe and didn't get any damage from the storm.
    Enjoy the serenity.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am glad there was no storm damage.

      There is no serenity here Rick. We live on a busy street, cars drive back and forth now that the state of Texas is opened again for business.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad the hail missed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize you were so close to the border. You did a lot of work to protect the car and even though the wind blew it away, you might have had damage if you hadn't covered it to begin with. We have rain today but no wind. The rain is probably the last we will get going into the long summer and fall dry season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are very close to Mexico. As the crow flies it would be half a mile or less...through the main road, it is like six miles because we have to backtrack to the city.

      Last month when we had the bad hail storm I fell asleep during the six o'clock news and had no idea we were in danger. While at the time I thought the car had not sustained a lot of damage in the light of day it had a lot of dings though it is made of heavy metal and I felt guilty for not having protected it accordingly.

      Glad you are getting rain I know how much it is needed in California. Thanks to these two rain events my primitive water catchment system is once again full as in July our rain also ceases but with climate change...who knows?

      Delete
  5. I am laughing a lot. I've done stuff like that. If all that work you'd done with the car had stayed put, it would have come out of a hailstorm just fine. I am so glad your dad's car is OK. Where IS a bungee cord when you need one??? Somewhere else.
    As for having something interesting to post, have you noticed, people are interested in what you might have had for lunch??? I would be. I'm old, and my life is already reduced in scope, but there are many who care about such things besides me. Look at Instagram. People are posting what they just had to eat. You could do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed a lot too JudithK wondering what my dad would have thought if he were alive!

      I have never been on Instagram. Only when my cousin comes to visit he will show me some of our other family members Facebook pages. I am not social media or for that matter computer savvy.

      I do not know how to cook so I doubt people would want to see the cereal I eat for breakfast, the can of ravioli I have for lunch or the salad or ramen soup I have for dinner :D

      Delete
  6. WOW you sure are getting hit with some wild weather there. It cooled down quite a bit here but the wind is still blowing. We should hit 100 agian they said it was 100 today but I really don't think so.
    Love Auntie Acid yep stay away from me LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, this is common weather for April and May and unfortunately, hail is not a stranger to our neck of the woods.

      Like yourself, we are also experiencing a lot of wind. It was HOT today we had a high of 96 with a heat index of 102.

      Aunty Acid has some great sayings! I want some people to stay away from me too...like POLLITO...who had the nerve the other day to stop by the front gate and start honking...grrrrrrrrrrrr! Like I was really going to come out!

      Delete
  7. How funny Pollito is expecting curb service! I think you should post a sign on your gate saying "NO CURB SERVICE". Jajaja
    Your cardboard cover is great! I have a feeling there will be a lot more storms in the coming weeks. Maybe you could use cat food sacks filled with dirt to hold down the cardboard?
    I have been making masks. I have a feeling round two of the virus will make people believe. I wish I had your p.o. box # so I could send you one. But maybe putting that on your blog is a bad idea?
    Too hilarious about tRump taking hydroxicoroquin..not sure of the spelling of his snake oil. I know lots of his devoted followers will take it and reap the health benefits. Good riddance and no sympathy. I can't believe he is completely insane and yet still in office. If Biden picks Daisy Duck I don't care. I would still vote for him.
    No rain here. Just a few drops here and there. I am already starting to worry about fire season.
    Wow you are so close to Mexico! The beer situation is really getting crazy. Better stock up...it's going to be a hot election.
    Stay safe, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why this man is still bothering me when I told him I do not want to have the lot cleared after waiting for months to have him complete the job he never finished back in July 2019.

      He clearly does not need the money as his business is "essential" and he did not stop working during the stay-at-home decree. He was honking because I have had the front gate locked for two weeks and it is going to stay locked. I may add an additional one for good measure!

      No, I don't think it is a good idea to publish my P.O. Box on this blog but it is the thought that counts and I thank you for thinking of me as a worthy recipient of one of your masks.

      Remember "you know who" is a pathological liar and is only trying to save face. I don't for a New York minute believe he is taking his snake oil. The memo his WH physician put out does confirm or deny he is taking hydroxychloroquine.

      Hope you get some rain soon. I still have beer in my stockpile. I do not think our government (even as crazy as it is) would ever shut down beer production like the equally demented president of our neighbors to the south.

      Stay safe as well Ms.Penny!

      Delete
    2. Meant to say "the memo his WH physician put out does NOT confirm or deny he is taking hydroxychloroquine.

      P.S. I almost died laughing when Nancy Pelosi on a CNN interview this afternoon called him "morbidly obese".

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.