Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Menacing Skies / Tree Rot / Pissy Ants

Every afternoon we have menacing skies. Sunday as well as yesterday this part of Val Verde County lucked out and missed the storms.  From looking at this picture you would have expected a good rainstorm.


We received strong winds and thunder but most important of all NO HAIL!!!  The storms fell on the north part of Val Verde County dropping the temperatures significantly.


Today we have been the beneficiary of sunny skies. Rain is not in the forecast until Wednesday and Thursday.


Last year when I was getting ready for my Terlingua trip I posted how the ants had weakened and rotted the trees. I have been watering them daily but the strong wind gusts we have been experiencing has broken off many of its branches.


Speaking of ants...pissy ants have come back into the picture after several years of absence. Tiny black ants are everywhere there is water like the kitchen sink and bathroom. Ordinarily, I would go buy ant baits at Home Depot but I just can't bring myself to go just yet after hearing from several bloggers about their recent experience at that establishment.

I think I am going to make an early afternoon post as my arms are tired from dragging tree branches to the curve for heavy trash pick-up. 

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



14 comments:

  1. We had ants show up in our RV/house. I went to Walmart and bought all three of the different ingredient ant baits they had (they came four to a pack). I had borax powder (I might have bought it at Dollar Tree) from before.

    In the places I'd seen ants and a couple other good spots I spread the borax powder against the floor/wall joint and set out one of each of the 3 different baits I had. This is all under or behind something... under the couch, under the sink, under the dinette seats (under the drawers in them)....
    You can't see them, the cat can't get to them and the ants go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestions Rob. Unfortunately, I do not have either the ant baits or borax powder. It will have to wait until I can make a trip to town.

      Delete
  2. Glad you have survived limb pickup. Argh. We've had some more rain here, so I'm glad our latest benefits weren't due to trials for you. The first round was though...I should have been there to help pick up. I've read that half vinegar/half water spraying will not only kill those little black ants in progress but will also deter them. You might not have to go out for those ingredients. I have no idea if it works. Good luck and rest up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I survived limb pickup and I actually got a good night's rest because of it. Lol, Judithk it is not your fault mother nature brought on all the wind to Del Rio but benefitted your area with good soaking rains.

      I do have vinegar but which one do I use regular or apple cider? On Pinterest they suggested I spray them with Febreze but that did not work for me.

      Do you get news coverage from Austin or San Antonio?

      Delete
  3. I hate those nasty little ants. Like Rob said Borax works and so with the traps. If they carry the borax to the nest that should also help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to purchase both the ant baits and Borax on my next trip to town.

      Delete
  4. That's nature's way of cleaning up the Environment.
    Thanks for the tips about the ants.
    Be Safe and Enjoy staying cool.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true it is nature's way of cleaning up the environment just wish it had not been so much work.

      The commenters deserve the credit for their tips on killing the pissy ants.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you are getting quite the workout. I hope you will be careful and not injure your back.
    I remember piss ants and they are hard to get rid of. I do hope the solutions others have suggested will work. I have never had any ant problems here. No fire ants, either. I guess the cold temperatures keep them in check.
    We got up to 73* here today. Sunshine feels glorious. The lilacs have bloomed all over town and the smell is just wonderful. I picked up some tomato plants today, also peppers and corn and basil. I am no farmer, so wish me luck.
    Stay safe, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so dislike doing yard work but had no choice. I wore two back braces and I cut the limbs to a more manageable size since I had to drag them over two lots. Surprisingly, this time around only my arms and shoulders hurt. I do not take Advil or Tylenol so settled for two regular aspirins that helped a lot.

      Glad Spring has made its way to your little corner of the world. 73 sounds wonderful to me...as I am typing this it is 101 degrees here :-(

      I wish you luck with your gardening endeavors. You tend to do a lot of research and you live in an area with an ideal climate so I am sure you will have a bountiful harvest.

      Delete
  6. Since I don't drive and also since I'm still trying to isolate myself from other people, I have to order things online. I was going to suggest you look online and order ant traps, but then realized you would have to go to the post office to pick them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true Gypsy, since my P.O. Box is small I would have to get in line to pick it up at the main counter and have to interact with others defeating the purpose.

      Delete
  7. You are what they call, "between a rock and a hard place!"

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.