Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, May 2, 2020

After three weeks in isolation I ventured out into the real world...

Thursday, April 30th three weeks to the day I could no longer put it off as the Governor of Texas Greg Abbott was going to open up the State on Friday, May 1st  and I had to go pick up the mail at the post office in Del Rio.

I was busy during the day and then the heat struck. I decided to postpone my trip until after 7:00 p.m. As I passed by the laundromat I noticed it was still closed and had the same paper notice on the door as it had three weeks ago. 

Del Rio has two post offices this is the oldest and the only one in town when we moved here.



 Had new signs that were not there the last time I was here but that I agree with.




We have a small P.O. Box and it was full. The post office is not far from "Little HEB" and I had seen in their commercials that the hours had been extended to 10:00 p.m. so drove by there.  I was so surprised that there were no lines, plenty of parking space, and few customers.


Made a beeline for my serranos but once again they were not fresh so I only bought a few as well as garlic and bananas. No pre-packaged salads were available but that's ok...I'm sick of them. They were putting out freshly cut meats and poultry but limiting it to two packages per customer.

There was plenty of toilet paper and paper towels but either they had no brand name or they had names I have never heard of before.  I am good for a long time as I can not live without my Viva paper towels and thankfully have plenty on hand.

I was going to buy another dozen eggs but noticed that they had gone up in price since the last time I was here.  I wanted some chips but the HEB brand was cleared out and I am too cheap to pay for the national brands.

I went to the beer aisle and there were no 30-packs, 24-packs, 18, 15, or 12-packs to be had. They only had 16oz six-packs or the individual large single beers. Ok...now I will wail...HOARDERS!!!

I went to the wine aisle and they only had the small box wines.  I believe I have mentioned before how my dear now-departed mechanic would get so mad because I would buy wine when I much prefer beer and I could almost hear him telling me that in his own unique way!

The sun was starting to set and even though I brought with me my one dollar night time anti-glare sunglasses I decided to head home. As I passed the main HEB I stopped and filled up. 


The car needed to be washed as it was still covered in dust from our last wind storm but the sun was setting fast so I will tackle that chore next time.  Funny this time when I drove by the laundromat, the Open Sign was turned on and there were two cars upfront.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day

   

12 comments:

  1. With things supposedly getting back to normal shortages should become a thing of the past. Reading Aunty Acid says it all.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know if things will ever really get back to normal Rick. At least in the USA, we are facing a meat shortage with so many people that work at food processing plants falling victim to this invisible enemy and many dying.

      Aunty Acid does say it all today.

      Delete
  2. I love the Aunty A too. Now, about paper towels....Viva vs Bounty.
    I am a Bounty person. I guess we could have a debate, but I haven't got the energy. Nor many facts to back up my position.
    Glad you got some relatively cheap gas and made it into the store with few other people. Sorry about the beer and wine. Those things ARE important. Hot here too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, JudithK...I do not have the energy for a Viva vs Bounty debate either for the same reasons that you mention :D

      I do want to clarify that I also buy Bounty though I use those exclusively for the kitchen. I use my Viva paper towels much like people use face towels or if I have a greasy mess on my hands.

      I still have beer and wine but it never hurts to have "extra" on hand...jajajajajaja!

      Delete
  3. When I put in my new grocery order they did have TP not my brand but not going to be fussy right now and who knows by time they pull my order it may be gone. They are limiting it to 1 pk, no paper towels or disenfecting sprays. I don't know why Walmart doesn't have these things still. My daughter called to see what I needed, she found it all in Fry's, HELLO WALMART! Anyway I should be good for at least another month except for fresh veggies. And yes prices on eggs are sky high and lots of other things to.

    Sorry you didn't get your beer or wine.

    Auntie Acid is right on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you are still doing Walmart home delivery? I wish they had that here we only have curve side pick-up. May I ask how much they charge for delivery?

      The only Fry's store I know from when I lived in Houston is an electronic and computer store is that the same there? If it is...good for them to be able to have needed products that not even Walmart is carrying.

      Since the shooting at the El Paso Walmart, I have only been there twice and none since this Covis-19 mess began so I have no idea how well-stocked or not they may be in their Del Rio store.

      Auntie Acid is a wise lady!

      Delete
  4. Gas is $1.17 all around Weatherford, TX. Surprised yours is so high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is an excellent price Bigfoot! I have no idea why we would have such a wide price disparity. Wonder how much it is going for in Terlingua?

      Delete
    2. You might give this website a try. I don't know how accurate it is but these sites are usually pretty close to the actual prices:

      https://www.autoblog.com/terlingua-tx-gas-prices/

      Big Bend Motor Inn
      Highway 118 & 170 Terlingua TX 79852
      $1.98
      1 DAY AGO

      That is the Alon station right next to the hotel at the corner of 118 and 170. I would think you have bought gas there before. It is right outside Big Bend National Park in Terlingua.

      Panther Junction
      Highway 118 & Us 385 Big Bend National Park TX 79834
      $1.96
      1 DAY AGO

      This is also an Alon station. It is the one "almost" at the corner of 118 and 385. Those are the "highway" names. I think the "local" street names are Gano Springs and Main Park Road.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Flyingdj for going to all that trouble. I am very familiar with the gas station at Big Bend Motor Inn and their outrageous prices. Though currently, they do not seem so bad.

      Delete
  5. I could see this coming back in late December, and I bought extra paper towels & tp at Costco (Kirkland brand). Like most Costco items, they come in large packs - 30 rolla of tp, and 12 paper towels. I always keep an extra package of each on hand so I never worry about running short. I don't understand why so many people waited until the last minute and were angry when they couldn't get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just my own personal opinion is that while some of us saw it coming many people who are Trump supporters including Fox News also known as State TV down played the Coronavirus as a "Hoax" and an attempt by the Democrats to take down this administration since they failed to impeach him.

      With conflicting reports people chose to believe HIM while we went with the scientist and prepared accordingly.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.