Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, November 19, 2020

Grocery Run / Nice Temperatures / Last Edition

I could no longer put off going to the store and stocking up for my future shelter-in-place. The COVID-19 cases keep on increasing and the future does not look promising. Therefore, yesterday Wednesday, November 18th I took off to HEB early in the morning. I was glad I did because by the time I was checking out so many more people descended on the store.

I had already seen on the news (ours comes from San Antonio) that once again there was a run on toilet paper, paper towels, and cleaning supplies. I do believe I have more than enough on hand but purchased an additional package of toilet paper just in case.



I have not had good luck finding a good crop of serrano peppers either here or at Walmart. That was the case again today. I only purchased a handful of serranos. 

The tomatoes weren't even ripe and did not look very pretty.


One of the things I miss about Houston is their lower grocery prices in particular with regards to potatoes (that I am not supposed to eat but shhh). You could buy a 5 lb bag for .99 cents at most Dollar or regular grocery stores. Today they had a 15-pound bag on special for only $2.47.

Their garlic did not look so good and was very small. I usually purchase mine at Little HEB as theirs are purple and bigger but I was not about to make a special trip just for that. I was therefore glad I ran into garlic braids as I had never seen them in the US, just in Mexico where these were from. Though a bit pricey at $9.98 (mine came with 17 garlic bulbs) I decided to purchase them anyway as I eat a lot of garlic (lowers your cholesterol levels).


I almost purchased some onions in a mesh but I do not use those as often and they would probably go to waste.


I bought my usual salads and spinach as well as avocados. Ok, JudithK and Penelope close your eyes and skip the next picture...



They say you should not go shopping on an empty stomach and they are right!  I had no intention of buying a turkey but I found a small 8 lb. one but in order to get it for "free" you had to purchase an HEB spiral-sliced bone-in Half or Whole Ham, or HEB Boneless spiral sliced ham. I have no plans to cook it for Thanksgiving I just wanted to have one in the freezer in case things go south and we run out of food.

My HEB Lightly Salted Fritos, as well as all their other chips, have gone up in price but I love them in my chili or like we call them in this part of Texas...my Frito pie :)


The last time I was at Walmart I was going to stock up on White Claw until I noticed they had gone up $2.00 so I passed. Happy to inform that was not the case here. For good measure added a 15-pack of Natural Light even though with all the medication I am taking I am not drinking at this time...but it's good to have on hand and my doctor did say I could have one per day but if I was watching my Spurs I could have TWO per game...too bad the NBA season is over and at most I watched one or two games and did not accompany any of them with an adult beverage. :-(


I could not forget my boys (cats) so I got two boxes for my two little ones.


I was tired by the time I got the groceries in the car so I did not take advantage of the lower gasoline prices...maybe next week?


I would be remiss if I did not mention that the last edition of The Del Rio News-Herald was printed Wednesday, November 18, 2020.  

http://delrionewsherald.com/news/article_668277fc-2914-11eb-8943-bb7834dac405.html

We have been having gray and cooler mornings but by noon the sun starts shining and we have been experiencing nice temperatures in the high 70's and lower 80's but are in dire need of rain.

Last night I was uploading my pictures so I could make my post when once again the darn electricity went out...grrrrrr!  It was odd though it went out at exactly 9:00 p.m. and came back on at exactly 10:00 p.m.  I saw the neighbors outside using their phone's flashlight but I stayed inside stewing!

I can not wish you Terlingua Dreams as it is a little past noon...have a great day instead!


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day




Today's Header Picture



12 comments:

  1. Your header sign cracked me up as I used Gilligan to describe the turds lawyer LOL in response to your comment.

    Yes stocking up on groceries is a good idea. I have been doing that for a few months as I knew this was going to get ugly again. Picked up canned meats just in case I use up all my frozen meats and the stores are short. I have a pretty good supply of frozen meats and veggies. As for garlic I buy it in the large jars of diced as I also use a lot but I can never use up fresh fast enough I think it's not wanting to dice it up. lazy?

    I saw where Tucson has posted the worst areas by zip code and mine was one of them. This is very scary indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just went to read your reply to my comment on your blog and laughed as we had the same train of thought. The real Giuliani had a horrible day today I almost felt sorry for him after that very "odd" press conference he gave today with hair color dripping down his sides as he sweated profusely...he looked just like the idiot he is representing.

      I am lazy too...I do not cut up the garlic I just peel the cloves and drop them in whatever I happen to be warming up.

      Del Rio only has two zip codes but now that we do not even have a city newspaper I don't know where I am going to get any local information except for the Mexican newspaper El Zócalo...it is a good thing I am bilingual or I would be screwed.

      Delete
  2. Like the prices on your Groceries and Gasoline.
    Both Aunty Acid and the Sign are very fitting for the Chief.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that in comparison to other cities in Texas and other states we seem to have lower prices by the comments I receive in the blog.

      As you know I live along the Texas border with Mexico. From my mother's house, I can cross the border faster than I can drive to HEB or Walmart. With the border closed to non-essential travel, I miss my grocery runs to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila where groceries are more affordable.

      Delete
  3. Ah. I am laughing. I do like your header photo today. And YES for frito pie! And hey, go ahead and get some potatoes. The Irish made it for a little while with that the only crop. Not the best crop for long term survival though. I skimmed over the piece about avocados!! Very very sad though about your local newspaper. Not sure how long ours can keep going. Glad you have stocked up and glad always to see a new post from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the biggest compliments at least for me as a blog writer is when someone tells me that I made them laugh...then it is worth all the time it now takes to make a post under this new Blogger template...in my opinion the worst update to date :-(

      To keep my glucose levels in check I have to avoid peas, corn, and potatoes. I could do without the first two for the rest of my life but I do enjoy baked potatoes, loaded potatoes, and potato salad, of course in moderation.

      I knew you would look at the avocado prices :D

      It certainly is sad to lose a local newspaper after 136 years. Unfortunately, that is the fate of many small-town newspapers in these challenging economic times.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed seeing what you stocked up on and seeing your prices there. Our grocery prices are going up by the day. Avocados are 2.99 each. I got a quart of heavy whipping cream for 5.79.
    There are some empty shelves in paper products and less variety. And of course, no Frontera Green Chili sauce.
    I am as prepped as I can be.
    We haven't had power outages but phone and internet problems all last week. I was unable to get through to my radio show,too.
    It has been cold, in the low teens, but no snow.
    Stay safe and well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing what people pay in different parts of our nation and in other countries but not too many bloggers I follow do that. I guess I'm nosey?

      Wow, I would have to do without avocados if I had to pay $2.99 for each. Speaking of Frontera Green Chili sauce, I was never able to locate any either at HEB or Walmart.

      I do not know if it is because I have been going online earlier than I usually do, but I have been having a lot of Internet issues lately. With the power going out, I can not use our phones since they are cordless and require electricity.

      Low teens? Oh dear, that would be a deal-breaker for me. You are a tough lady!

      You be safe too and bundle up Ms. Penny!

      Delete
  5. Geez. You really got after it with the vehicles. Makes me tired to read it. Meanwhile, I looked once again....for covid info in your area. All I found was this: https://valverdecounty.texas.gov/350/COVID-19-Information Maybe they update only once a week or so....but still it's something. (Trump is right in that regard, the more tests you do, the more positives you get...if you don't test, you get negative. Duh) Anyway, our rate is 22% which is NOT good. San Antonio at it's worst this summer had 25% and they are keeping it low so far. At least your health department is posting a positivity rate. That's what you need to keep an eye on as far as I can tell....I certainly am. Yours is at 15%. Not too bad. But below 10 is good. San Antonio is currently at 10, but it's rising. This is just some perspective that numbers sometimes can give. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had given me that link before but as you can tell, the County is not good at updating it. I am by no means a good speller but you would think in a county website about COVID-19 they could at least spell Coronavirus correctly.

      Delete
  6. P.S. I like to make people laugh too. I probably didn't today, but on the other hand, probably didnt' bring you down. Or at least I hope not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol JudithK, I am laughing as I am typing this, and no, you didn't bring me down either :D

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.