Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, November 21, 2020

May have bitten off more than I can chew / Terlita got a bath today

As I mentioned in my last post HEB gives you a turkey up to 12 lbs for "free" if you purchase an HEB Spiral-Sliced Bone-in-half or Whole Ham, or an HEB Boneless Spiral Sliced Ham.  I happened to buy a Fully Cooked Spiral Sliced Hickory Smoked Ham, that in the packaging clearly states that it glazes in 5 minutes and that it is an "Easy 3-Step Process".

Since I did not find the instructions anywhere on the packaging I suppose they are inside and I do not want to open it yet. Spent hours on YouTube looking at videos and found that even if it states that it is fully cooked you still have to put it in the oven for an hour and a half, then take it out and baste it with the glaze mixture every ten minutes for another hour. They also suggest I throw out the glaze pockets it comes with and make my own glaze...are they kidding?  I can't even boil water without burning it!!!  I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew 😢

This morning I could not stand to look at my dusty car anymore so I washed it. Well kind of, I did not finish because Paquito, as usual, ate too much and vomited around the tires and the trunk of the car (on the ground, not the car).  He made me so mad because after eating his portion in the kitchen along with Nico...he came outside and bullied Katie's cats and ate their food as well...grrrrrr!!!

I was not going to step on his vomit so I looked towards the garage/carport and saw my dusty Terlita (my old camping van) and to my surprise, I decided to tackle that much-neglected task. I bucket washed it because it would take connecting two hoses to reach all the way over there.

The van was FILTHY from the heavy winds and dust storms. I had bought a sponge mop at the Dollar Tree about two years ago to wash the top of it but I have no idea where that mop currently is so I did not do the top just the rest of it. It took me over two hours but Terlita looks good now...too bad I can not take her out for a ride as she is patiently waiting for a new transmission and to have her tires aired up beside of course current tags and insurance.


It was a beautiful fall day the sun came out after twelve and the temperature shot up to 84 degrees.

Good night,  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day


Header Picture for this Post




17 comments:

  1. The next time you are at HEB ask if they have instructions. They might surprise you or inform you that the instructions are inside the package. Most of the On-line experts only want to use their own Glazes or Rubs. Most Spiral Sliced Hams we've gotten are already fully cooked.
    Wise to keep the tires inflated on the Van so they don't Dry-Rot.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not plan to set foot inside HEB until December. I am pretty sure the instructions are inside the package. I have to agree after all the videos I watched on YouTube each cook had their own take on glazes.

      It is too late for the tires as my van has been in the carport/garage since 2010 when the transmission went out.

      Delete
  2. That ham sounds wonderful. Easiest great ham glaze...take a half to full cup of brown sugar..light or dark..and rub it all over your ham. Get this into the spiral slices as much as you can. Use a vegetable spray on bottom of pan, place ham in pan, slowly pour a can of coke over. Baste the ham from the juices every 30 minutes. If you have a can of crushed pineapple, you can smear this over the ham after the coke. Don't use diet coke. Also can use pineapple juice, apple juice, applesauce, canned peaches. If the brown sugar you have is rock hard you can soften it in a very slow oven or microwave. Or put an apple slice in it, and close it tightly a couple of days early. Grape jelly could be used, as well. The brown sugar is the base, and using Coke and crushed pineapple is my first choice. You can do this! Chef Belinda.
    Sweet potatoes go well with this. The dark ones are yams. The light colored ones are my favorite. Stab the washed sweet potato with a knife. Place in a hot 425* oven til you can squeeze it easily. Put butter on top to eat, or drizzle some ham glaze juice on or a little sour cream. No marshmallows!
    Sweet potatoes take a bit longer to cook than a baked potato. Chock full of nutrition and delicious.
    Your van looks great. Plan on buying new tires, however.
    Love the jokes!
    I watch a lot of food haul videos. I am nosey, too. So many stores all over are seeing some empty shelves. Everyone is a prepper now. If they aren't, they are idiots.
    Stay safe and well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penelope, you give me too much credit. My cooking skills are limited to opening a can and heating it. Had I known how difficult it would be I would have passed on the glazed ham. I figured I would only have to put it in the oven for 5 minutes as the package states.

      I bought a bunch of freezer bags so I could freeze several portions to use throughout the year as this happens to be a 12.35-pound ham. I do not have any of the ingredients you mention. Can I just eat it as is without glazing it?

      I may just have to freeze it until Easter or until I am less stressed out but I will flag this post to reference your recipe. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Correction...baste every fifteen minutes the final hour. Keep some foil handy to loosely place over the top the final hour. So it doesn't burn. Let the ham sit about twenty minutes after removing from oven. Do not use a flimsy aluminum disposable pan unless supported underneath with a real pan. Also.,don't drop the ham! Jajaja

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh geez. I think I just posted my comments on today's post on a previous post. Where is Aunty Acid. She could tell me what to say about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry I found your comment on the prior post.

      That is why I enjoy Aunty Acid, as she always has something wise to impart on basically any subject.

      Delete
  5. If you go out to the any store see if you can buy the bag that you can put a turkey in to cook it, it will work for the ham also. Put the ham in the bag with 1/2cp water and poke a couple of slits in the top of the bag with a knife place that into a roasting pan and shove that baby in the oven for about 1hr. You can put the glaze in a pan and heat that up and pour it over the ham once you take it out of the bag. But yes the directions are in the bag. Don't stress over this they are fully cooked but it is a good idea to cook it for about an hour at 350. Cooking the ham in the bag will keep it moist. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From reading your blog I know you have a lot of experience cooking. For novices like myself cooking is a terrifying experience.

      I think I just might freeze the ham for now until Easter when hopefully my uncle can come visit us and we might have something to celebrate. I will flag this post so I can reference your recipe in the future.

      Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me and the people who read this blog.

      Delete
    2. Just tried to make it as easy as possible for you. You can even pour beer over it after you place the ham in the bag I've done it that way a few times very tasty and I'm not a beer drinker. But thank you for the complement I just do my best sometimes thats not always a good thing LOL
      Easter is a good time for ham hope you uncle comes over to enjoy it with you all.

      Delete
    3. Did you say beer? You got my attention :D

      The ham is now in the freezer next to the turkey and hopefully, my uncle will be able to come and enjoy it with us this coming Easter.

      Delete
  6. Just put it in the oven for as long as they say to. Forget the glazing. It will be done enough to eat and not poison you and will be good. I myself like a plain ham. Bone in. But a lot of people like a spiral cut because it saves labor for slicing. (I'll make a confession. I enjoy cutting bites to eat off a whole roast chicken, a chunk of roast beef, or a baked bone-in ham more than I like them on my plate. So I guess that's why I'm not a fan of the spiral cut. I can't be a Viking and attack it with a knife.) I suspect you are not as virginal as you present yourself in regard to cooking. You're still here, and as far as I know, do not have a personal chef.
    ]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "you are not as virginal as you present yourself in regard to cooking"...

      OMG, I am literally laughing my head off...jajajajajajaja!

      The reason I bought the spiral cut ham is that I too am lazy and I do not have any sharp knives.

      Delete
    2. Well, a lost cause then. A sharp knife is needed for cutting meat off the bone. Viking style. Still, here you are, intact, and having found nourishment some way...so you have prepared some food and lived over it! Qualifies as cooking.

      Delete
  7. Jo seems to have it nailed down with the bag to keep it moist. If you don't have one, just put some foil over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful to both Penelope and JO who both have ample cooking experience under their belt for trying to help me out. They both gave me too much credit not knowing that I am a lost cause when it comes to cooking.

      Thank you to you as well JudithK.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.