Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, March 19, 2021

A leisurely drive to Governors Landing

I had every intention of testing out my car on Wednesday but we had very strong winds that at times reached 40 mph so I postponed my trip to town to Thursday afternoon. I held my breath as I turned on the car and lucky for me everything was normal.

I had to run some errands in the north part of town when I got a wild hair and decided to drive to Lake Amistad so I could drive the car on the highway since that seems to fix it temporarily. The speed limit is 70 mph but for some short intervals found myself doing 80 mph.

It has been a very long time since I came out this way. There are a lot of new businesses and buildings. I will have to read my own blog to determine when was the last time I was here. For example, I had no idea what this building was. Upon further research, I learned that it is the new headquarters for the Amistad National Park Service and that it used to be the old Amistad Power Sports building near Blackbrush.


I of course had to head out to my favorite campground at the Amistad National Recreation Area...Governors Landing. The first thing that caught my eye was that the overnight camping fee had gone up to $10 from the previous $8.00.


It quickly became apparent the reason for the increase. They have made upgrades to their camping sites by expanding them and adding a tent camping area to each.


Newer stronger, and nicer garbage cans.


If you hurry up you can have this site with a view.


While there were a few campers there most came in their RV's or trailers. Only one site had three camping tents set up.


Thankfully the strong winds that were prevalent on Wednesday were no longer a problem Thursday.


I would be remiss if I did not include this picture for a friend of mine though I have no idea if they still read me...you know who you are...I do not recall that huge tower being there before but that may be due to my CRS. :-)


I was too tired to make a blog post last night so I am making an early (versus midnight) post this afternoon.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day




14 comments:

  1. Aunty Acid says it better than I can. And $10 a night isn't bad for a good camping site these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think ten dollars is a bargain especially since this is the only campground that has running water. They also have vault toilets which come in very handy when you are tent camping.

      As I was going through my Aunty Acid collection I found that this one fits me to a tee.

      Delete
  2. A ride! We are looking forward to one tomorrow.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a leisurely drive can be a stress buster or at least it was in my case.

      Delete
  3. Glad you went out for a drive! Wonder if we will ever live long enough to see that lake come up. I doubt it. But a nice expanse of water is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I went as well it took my mind off of a lot of things. In answer to your question...No, I don't think we will live long enough to see the lake full once more.

      I did not start my blog until August 2011 but in this post from February 19, 2012, I show pictures from 2010 when the lake was so full the camping tables down by the visitors area were flooded.

      https://terlinguadreams.blogspot.com/2012/02/governors-landing-lake-amistad-texas_19.html

      Delete
    2. Wow. I could tell the lake had been higher at one time, but I didn't have any idea it could have been so very high ever! Well, who knows. Weather being what it is, maybe it will happen again. Thanks for the photos!

      Delete
  4. How nice to get out and test your car and have a great day doing it. Looks like a nice campground. The one I went to here for a quick get away seems to have gone from $10. for a tent site to $20. which is what you used to pay for electric sites. Don't get that why would anyone pay $20 for a tent site. I guess it's all about greed once again.
    Auntie Acid sure fits the bill for me today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, I have never camped in a paying campground before...I will take that back...I have at the Terlingua Chili Cook-off but they charge a set fee for the entire event where there is no water or electricity just dry camping.

      The only fees I am familiar with are those locally at the Amistad National Recreation Area. The campsite where Billy Bob and Barney used to camp at San Pedro Campground are cheaper or they used to be...it has been a long time since I have been there.

      Turns out Aunty Acid fits the bill for many of us today.

      Delete
  5. Those are some great photos of that area. I hope the drive was good for your car and for you, as well. Those prices seem quite reasonable for such nice sites.
    I guess that tower is for cell service?
    We had a little snow this morning.
    Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Governors Landing is the most expensive campground at Amistad but it is very reasonable in comparison to other campgrounds I see online.

      It is a cell tower so I suppose the owner is leasing the land out to the carrier. I should have tried my cellphone as in the past service ended once you crossed the bridge over Lake Amistad.

      I hope the snow brought moisture to your area as I remember you mentioning that you all needed rain.

      Delete
  6. Not sure what is happening to my comments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this post on Friday, March 19th and after 48 hours comments go to moderation until I approve them. I had not had a chance to go online until this evening...sorry about that.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.