Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Murder at San Felipe Cemetery / Xylia / Vaccine Hesitation

We sadly had our first murder of the year involving a 27-year-old woman mother to six children. She was shot to death at San Felipe Cemetery one of our oldest and historic cemeteries. The good news is that two people have been arrested one a man who is the main suspect and a young woman. Authorities have been tight-lipped about the investigation.

While winter storm Xylia did not bring the arctic cold and snow that it has to Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, and Nebraska it did bring tornados, hail, and bad weather to the Texas Panhandle. All this week we have been dealing with strong wind gusts. All the cars are covered with dust. I have been surprised that Mr. Joe has not washed his car or his wife's truck as his vehicles are always impeccable. Late this afternoon I did see him washing the truck...where is my tall weathered cowboy so he can wash mine? 😢

Not much going on in the Del Rio branch of Terlingua Dreams. Though I have been spending considerable time on the phone talking to family, friends, and acquaintances. To say that I am aghast at what I have been hearing is putting it mildly.  

Even though most of the people I spoke with live in Houston where there are more than ample supplies of Covid-19 vaccinations and mass vaccination sites where you do not even have to get down from your vehicle they consider it to be a nuisance...they will wait for vaccines to arrive at their local pharmacies!

Others do not plan on getting vaccinated at all...I tell you just when you think you know someone...it turns out you do not know them at all! That is when I was uplifted by a story I read in The Eagle Pass News-Leader that showed a man carrying his elderly mother over his shoulder in Piedras Negras, Coahuila, México (across the border from Eagle Pass, Texas) so she could get her Covid-19 vaccine. It showed comments of readers offering the man used wheelchairs and walkers and commending the unidentified man for being such a good son!



Good night. May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day





Current and Previous Header Pictures





11 comments:

  1. It's those that refuse the Vaccine that will cause problems for everyone around them.
    That poor woman must have been in agony being carried like that.
    Soon the dust on the vehicles won't show.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The newspaper article had a picture of him carrying her. He seemed like a fit man in his 40's and she a petite woman in her 70's. She did not seem to be in any pain.

      Apart from the picture, there was no other information on the pair like how far he had been carrying her but obviously, he would not have done so if his mother had been able to walk.

      There were a lot of comments but none claimed that she could be in agony. Readers were angry that there was a cab driver just lurking and not offering them a ride. I think you missed the point of this feel-good story.

      Delete
    2. I just didn't hear about the story until I read your post. I see you've also added pictures. Glad it worked out for them.

      It's about time.

      Delete
  2. I think a lot of people don't having confidence in the vaccines and are afraid of them, which tells me that they were not presented in a proper way to begin with. I really didn't want to get one but did it to set a good example to my family. Other than that, I didn't do any preaching about it. I had an allergic reaction to the 2nd shot and spent several itchy hours in misery. Glad it's over with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my friends are going to get it but they do not want to stand in long lines whether on foot or in their vehicles nor do they want to inconvenience their adult children or grandchildren. I would think they would want to protect mom and/or grandma after all she has done for them.

      Others who should know better since it has affected their close family members and have even lost loved ones to this killer virus have decided they are not going to get it at all and are hoping for herd immunity. Thankfully, there are just a few of those.

      Delete
  3. I go for my first shot tomorrow at a drive up. I had a appt. Last month and after asking several times if it was a drive up and they telling me yes it turned out to be a walk up at the Convention Center so that alone tells you how far you had to go. I had hoped they understood about the COPD but they just were after the money they would receive from the government. I'm so happy to be able to start this process already.

    I think that man carring his mom is a hero. The cabby should be ashamed of himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on being able to be vaccinated tomorrow JO!

      That story brought a tear to my eye and the first person I thought of was my uncle who if my grandmother was still alive would do the same. I immediately called him to share that story and I think it uplifted him too as he has had the blues lately.

      I concur that cabbie should be ashamed of himself and that man is indeed a hero!

      Delete
  4. Spectacular story and pics. Thanks.
    Sure, I waited in 2-hr. line to get it. So what? Tech miracle. For your community, family, and self, get the shot(s), whichever ever one first available, ASAP. Thanks again for the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that you were able to get your Covid-19 shot. I too would stand in line for 2 hours or longer but we have a shortage of vaccines in Val Verde County. I plan to take whatever shot is offered to me when my turn arrives.

      Glad you enjoyed the story.

      Delete
  5. ...and may the Fauci be with you.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.