Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, March 22, 2021

Friends, Sleep, Rain, Hail in the Alamo City

I have been so tired lately I have actually been going to bed early and sleeping all night. I got a call from my HOA lady friend whom I had not spoken to in a long time. She suffered a stroke two years ago and at her son's behest moved in with him. Her son disconnected her landline without telling her and got her a smartphone which she hates. She is the second of my friends who have been forced to adapt to a cellphone that they neither requested nor desired.

She told me her neighbors had called to let her know that she had broken pipes in her garage and she had water running down her driveway. It brought memories of 1989 when the same thing happened to me during Christmas when I was in Del Rio. Thank goodness I had good neighbors at that time and he turned off my water.

They had a hard time getting a plumber to come to fix the pipes she was on a three-week waiting list until a friend of her son's referred someone to them.  I was so emotionally drained after our talk I went to bed at nine o'clock!

Today I spoke to my best friend for three hours...it had been a long time since I had spoken to her...we keep in touch by e-mail. Her boyfriend and she are always taking their RV on the road. As a matter of fact, they had left it at a campground and came home to take care of some business and will be going back shortly.

This morning I cleaned out the metal as well as the plastic water catchment containers as we are expecting rain this evening. While I spoke to her the wind began to howl and we had a short but heavy and much-needed downpour.

So far the evening rains have failed to materialize but they cut into the evening programming to alert San Antonio residents of hail for some parts of the Alamo City.  Hope it does not cause a lot of damage.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day




10 comments:

  1. Hope your friend recovers from her illness.
    Hopefully those with plumbing problems get them settled soon.
    Even though Aunty Acid makes sense but researchers say to avoid oversleeping to make up for bad nights otherwise you will be awake all night and sleeping all day.
    Having worked shift work years ago I'd rather be awake during the day and so does Kathy.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend has made great strides these past two years in her recovery so much so that she wants to move back to her house and once again live on her own.

      I suffer from chronic insomnia and have for years. Sleeping is a luxury to me and I only wish I could in fact oversleep. When I had insurance the doctors told me that one can never make up for lost sleep.

      My mother also suffered from insomnia when she was younger so she understands what I am going through. This Aunty Acid is a tribute to her because if she sees me sleeping she will go out of her way to not wake me and makes sure no one does either and I love her for that.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had some visits with best friends. Always a good thing and a necessity as far as I am concerned.
    We got .7 inch out of the line of storms that came through, but they brought nothing bad, so it's all good here. Could have used more rain, but more, though a lesser chance is forecast for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to catch up with friends as it can be hard when they live on the other side of the state and I only get to see my best friend in Terlingua.

      You got more rain than we did. Glad the weather did not turn bad in your area like it did in some parts of San Antonio that received hail and a tornado. Hopefully, you will get some rain tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. How nice that you were able to have the opportunity to catch up with old friends. I am sorry to hear your friend has suffered from a stroke. It is hard enough to learn a new phone without the handicaps and challenges a stroke can present.
    I have been keeping up with your weather and it looks as though you will be getting some cold temps with that rain. I hope it isn't as severe as the last round.
    Friends in Louisiana are really getting flooded and have had several tornado warnings. According to my favorite weather dude, it will continue for a couple of days.
    Crazy weather! Love Auntie Acid!I am a person who loves a good nap.
    Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend is doing better than expected she has put a lot of work into her recovery.

      I was only able to watch the morning not the evening news so I do not know what our weather will be like in the coming days. Cold and rain sound good to me because it won't be long that heat and drought follow it.

      Those poor people in Louisiana have been hard hit all this year not to mention the hurricanes from last year. Hope your weather has gotten warmer.

      Delete
  4. I had a Jitterbug phone for years - then Samsung quit making them and I didn't like the one that took over. My son got me a cell phone on his plan but I hate using it. I want a phone that is only a phone - not one that has a hundred other functions. To make it worse I am just a bit hard of hearing, so I ask people to text me rather than phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of my friends would like to go back to their landline phones. My friend who is recovering from her stroke is more telephone savvy and can at least text.

      My other friend has no interest in learning anything about her phone even though her grandsons have tried on numerous occasions to teach her.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear your freind has covered and would love to go back home. And then to spend 3hrs with another long time freind. As we age it is good to keep in touch with dear friends from our past.

    I had to take my laptop for repairs as it was full of junk and very old crap. While I had to leave it I thought you know now might just be the time to get a notebook so I can have it while working on my crafts. Talk about not being able to set it up I was about to return it when I figured I would just put it aside, I fugured out some important to me things and then today I took it back and they finished the set up. Still not to sure but....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad my HOA neighbor lady called me as I had no way to reach her after her telephone was disconnected. She is back to her sarcastic and witty old self...she reminds me of Aunty Acid in many ways.

      I know you use Geek Squad a lot...wish we had something similar here but there are no Staples, Office Depot, or anything comparable in Del Rio.

      You will have to blog about your notebook would like to know a little more about it...that is if you decide to keep it.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.