Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Propane delivery / Electric bill

I called last Thursday to schedule a propane delivery but was told they were running behind and would probably not be able to get to me until Friday or sometime this week. I requested that they call me when they were on their way so I could open the gate.

She asked me how much propane I had in the tank which I thought odd but I told her. I suppose to prioritize deliveries? They never made it Friday or Monday so I called this morning and she promised delivery but could not pinpoint a time as again she mentioned they were very busy.

Before

Went to open the gate and finally at 4:27 p.m. he made it to the house. I had come inside to write a check when the telephone rang and it was the Pico girl I had spoken to this morning calling to say that the guy could not find my house and if I could give her instructions on how to get here...WTH informed her he had already made the delivery and I was writing him a check as we spoke!


After


It has been a year since I ordered some and it certainly has gone up...I wonder if the arctic front had anything to do with it?

If you ordered 75 gallons or more you were given a lower price that being $2.85 per gallon for a total of $213.75.

Monday at 1:20 a.m. I got an email from CPL (our electric provider) with the heading Your CPL Retail Energy Bill is Available.  I have to admit I did not want to open it and I didn't until yesterday afternoon. I was relieved that it was reasonable but the news is saying we won't see increases in our bills until next month.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid Saying of the Day



Header Pictures




Limits on some items at Walmart


8 comments:

  1. Prices are dictated by Supply and Demand. With everyone using lots of Propane during the Cold Snap suppliers have raised their prices.
    Days after the big freeze there were reports of people getting Electric bills in the Thousands of dollars.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold snap was a month ago so I figured they had already re-filled most of their customer's tanks by now.

      It was because of the media reports of exorbitant electric bills that I was terrified to open this month's bill. Who knows how high it will be next month :-(

      Delete
  2. Don't you just love customer service! At least you had your deliver even if it was late. I hope you increase won't be to horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The delivery guy told me that they had been acquired by another company though they will keep the Pico name and they had new personnel. The girl scheduling the deliveries and manning the phones sounded pretty young to me.

      I am keeping my fingers crossed that next month's bill will not bust the budget.

      Delete
  3. OK. You hsven't been hammered too far yet...I think all our gas (no matter what kind) and electric bills are going to go up..Maybe they will stick it to us slowly....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right JudithK all of our utilities are going to be going up and hopefully slowly...only time will tell. The only way to sidestep the increase is to join John Wells in Terlingua and live off-grid.

      Delete
  4. I am glad you were able to get filled up on propane. There might be a time in the immediate future where it won't be that easy.
    It must be scary not knowing what your electric bill will be. I am glad to have Budget Billing here so the total is never a surprise.
    That poor young girl on the phone is learning a lot, I would think.
    I am beginning to notice a lot of groceries that are no longer on the shelves. They keep the shelves pretty full but not with the regular selections. For instance, cake mixes. Only one brand available and even the selections for flavors is limited. No carrot cake mix. Frostings in a can are very limited. My favorite shrimp cocktail sauce..Heinze Zesty..no longer available. Just lots of things. I asked one of the clerks and she told me a lot of products just aren't being shipped.
    Living off grid is difficult. I admire those who can pull it off. I would worry the most about no water in that area. I like living in a remote area but it takes a lot of adjusting.
    Take care and stay safe, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not easy this time to get our propane order but perhaps it was due to the change in ownership and personnel? There have been times in the past without all that we are dealing with now that they were slow getting to us.

      Even with Balance Billing we eventually would have to pay the higher amount. I admire those brave souls that have been able to make a go of living off the grid-like John Wells who has done it successfully. I know it is hard and many have had to give up on their dream. For a couple of years, people in the Terlingua area have been able to purchase water and have it delivered to their property.

      I have never bought cake mix or frosting before, I just pass that aisle never paying attention to it nor have I ever bought shrimp cocktail sauce (I love shrimp but I am not allowed to eat it due to its high cholesterol content).

      Winter storm Xylia has brought record amounts of snow to Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, and Nebraska and is moving east. I am sure this too will affect the distribution network.

      Stay safe and warm Ms. Penny.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.