Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Busy week / VVRMC / It happened again

It has been a busy week and though I tried to take care of a lot of things on my To-Do List somehow I do not feel like I accomplished much. Time seems to go by so quickly and before I know it the day is gone...perhaps because by 6:00 p.m. it is already dark?

In Del Rio, some doctors do perform lab work in their office but not always nor X-rays so you are referred to the local hospital ours being Val Verde Regional Medical Center...VVRMC for short. We only have one hospital here the other two closest to us are 60 miles south of us in Eagle Pass or 60 miles east in Uvalde, Texas.

It is because of this that I have always recommended you pre-register a day before your appointment. You can pre-register a loved one as well without them being physically present. I did that on Tuesday and am glad I did because it took 1 hour and 38 minutes for them to call me. The waiting room was packed and this time it was older patients. Hospital rules require you to wear a mask and while everyone was wearing one, two years into this pandemic has still not taught some people how to wear one properly.

There was a lady in front of me coughing away with a cheap disposable mask that needed to have been replaced a long time ago and her nose was not covered all the way...sorry end of rant! 😠

After I left VVRMC I decided to go by Dollar Tree and buy some more butter popcorn what would be my surprise but to find that not only did they run out of popcorn but that as of Monday, December 6th the new official price is $1.25.  I am so glad I stocked up last Friday!




However, there was a small section in the canned food aisle that was still a dollar or lower...


Finally, after over a month I made it to the car wash.  The one by my side of town is always full and the water pressure leaves a lot to be desired so I went to the one next to the drive-thru car wash almost across the street from the Toyota dealership.


Last night it happened again...we lost power at 8:58 p.m. thankfully at the tail end of the Rachel Maddow Show that I once again started to watch after my news hiatus since August. I went outside but none of the neighbors seemed to be home...perhaps Christmas shopping?  Everything was dark but as I looked to the south I could see the lights from Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila Mexico...how is it that they never have power outages but we a first-world country do?

I was so tired I fell asleep during the interval so when the lights finally came back on at 10:45 p.m. I kept on sleeping.

After the hospital visit this afternoon I decided to stop at Whataburger and treat myself to a Hatch Green Chile and Bacon burger.  I arrived at the right time as there were few people there.

 

My experience with our Whataburger is that it is hit or miss much like the one by my house in Houston. I was disappointed with my burger but since I had not eaten all day tried to make the best of it.



Temperatures are still in the 80's during the day but a cold front is heading our way this weekend.  Gasoline prices continue to decline. The price at HEB this afternoon was $2.579 per gallon for regular unleaded.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid




6 comments:

  1. Oh dear. A Whataburger with green chiles can be glorious. And with bacon divine. Wish you could have hit them at a good time. What's the deal with the power in Del Rio? Who is the distributor? I guess I could look it up. Encor is the one here, and I have to say, they do a pretty good job. Even during the big freeze last Feb. Not to worry, right? Abbot says it's going to be OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had high hopes because they were not regular chiles but Hatch green chiles. I usually eat a couple of fries and bring the rest to the cats but they were so darn salty I ended up throwing them away. Like I mentioned it is hit or miss at this Whataburger and I certainly scored a "big miss".

      I do not think the distributor has anything to do with all our power outages but the outdated grid, especially where we live. I still can not believe that we did not lose power during the Texas Big Freeze last year while some of the nicest parts of town did.

      Delete
  2. The prices at the 2 Dollar Trees closest to me are still only a dollar. But frozen veggies are also a dollar at Walmart so that's where I will buy mine. I haven't had a Whataburger in years. That sounded good but I guess it wasn't to bad. Gas prices here are slowly coming down and are still well over $3.. The cold front hit here today but it isn't to bad but by Sat. am it should be in the high 50's for the high.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, I think you are trying to make me jealous by saying you have two Dollar Trees close to you...:-(

      Much like our hospital if I want to visit another Dollar Tree I have to drive to Eagle Pass or Uvalde that would be a 120 miles round trip. Somedays I really miss Houston.

      I don't go to Walmart that often I usually buy my frozen vegetables at HEB where I can purchase some for .88 cents but with inflation who knows how much they are selling for now.

      I saw it was cooler in your part of AZ we are expecting a cold front around 3:00 a.m. this morning and I am not looking forward to it.

      Stay warm as well.

      Delete
  3. It is so frustrating to schedule an appointment and then have to wait for so long. So many places do that and I think they just don't really care about the patient's time. Plus, having to wait with people who aren't properly masked!
    I haven't been to our Dollar tree in over a month. I have heard prices are going up everywhere. I will look for that popcorn when I go.
    I remember Whataburger as being wonderful. Too bad they have lowered their standards.
    Losing power like that is a sure sign Texas has done nothing to repair their power grid. You would think they would be trying to do better after last year's debacle.
    I am still avoiding most political discussions. I just feel like it's all talk and never any action.
    That is too bad about your parents forcing you to write all those cards. People have been calling in to our show for the past three days to go on and on about the cards I sent. It was very touching because many remarked they never get cards anymore. I didn't expect such emotional responses. I do think people are just starved for a real interaction with a real person instead of just the tv or internet.
    I noticed many shortages and bare shelves again at Safeway. And prices are just climbing by the day. Scary times ahead.
    It was 12* here this morning. Brrr!
    Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not have an appointment MsPenny I had to pre-register and pay in advance. Hospitals have to make sure they get paid upfront or that you have proper insurance before they will see you. The wait was to pre-register because there were so many people which surprised me.

      It is disappointing that when I want to cheat I end up with the short end of the stick. This month I have had to place KFC and now Whataburger in my "avoid eating there" list.

      Our issues with the power grid go back years hopefully with the new legislation (I do not recall the name) that President Biden signed to upgrade our nation's infrastructure we will see a change in a couple of years?

      It must be gratifying to see that your Christmas cards were appreciated by the people who received them. Maybe if even ONE person had thanked me for my efforts I would not still be bitter for having to address them all.

      I have not gone to HEB or Walmart and hopefully do not have to until 2022 so I do not know whether or not there are currently any shortages. I am back to having a six-month supply.

      We are expecting a cold front this evening but nothing even close to 12 degrees...that would be brutal!

      Bundle up, Ms.Penny!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.