Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, June 24, 2022

June 2022 trip to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila - México - Part 1

This past Tuesday, June 21st I had an appointment with my Mexican veterinarian which I detail in my other blog Walter's World. You can click on my header picture to take you there or on this link https://mylittlewalter.blogspot.com/

Please click on the pictures to enlarge


In Walter's World, I keep track of everything that has to do with my feral, stray, and home cats for as you know I suffer from CRS, and having a single place to refer to has proven to be beneficial in my case. I know that can be boring to some people so I keep their information separate from this blog. In this post, I am going to concentrate on the shopping aspect of my trip to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila.

When you enter the city you will find many Exchange Houses where you can convert your dollars to pesos or if you have pesos they will sell you American dollars. The average exchange rate this morning was $20.00 pesos to $1.00 US dollar. To the left of this picture is a private hospital...Hospital Ejeza...and most of their clients are Americans. Across the street is an Exchange House...Macodolar...with today's rates. This was the only stretch I found where there was no traffic and I could safely take a picture.


My focus this morning was to swing by the only bank that lets you get change without giving you grief for not being a customer. I simply present my Texas driver's license which identifies me as a tourist and I have no problem. Citibamamex moved out to the suburbs many years ago and is located in the only mall in Ciudad Acuña. What would be my surprise when I got there and found huge lines outside of the bank and it wasn't even open yet. My first thought was...has a run on Mexican banks begun? Excuse me but I watch a lot of YouTube videos with the same headlines but of our American institutions. 😲

I realize it is not a good picture but it is the best one I took and it doesn't show how the line wrapped around the corner...


I don't do lines so headed inside to Bodegas Aurrera (owned by Walmart) you might recall that the last time I was here was in April and there was a shortage of shopping carts. Surely they had resolved that issue by now? Well, they haven't and I was not going to go on a hunting spree so decided to head to their other store that is more centrally located though smaller.

I will not be returning to this Bodegas Aurrera
anytime soon

I guess the last time I was here I failed to notice that they now have a KFC in Acuña...


As I drove back to town I spotted Soriana which is located about a mile from Bodegas Aurrera and they did not have many cars in their parking lot so I decided to stop. I would describe Soriana as a nicer store with wider aisles, a large selection of everything you would need, kind of like a Target.


It has been a while since I have been here even though I do have a store card (it's free) and if you buy certain items you get points that you can later redeem for free items.

In their parking lot, they have a gasoline station...


They have also built another one of these shoe stores that are all over the city...BHermanos...


In Soriana they did not have a buggy shortage as a matter of fact their buggies were brand new.


See what I mean from the upper picture of wider aisles and few people? Just my type of place! They have an ample selection of fruits and vegetables. They have specials on these on Tuesday and Wednesday as the signs indicate...Martes y Miercoles de Campo.


They have a large Bakery section. I believe these leftover cakes from Father's Day were about to be cut and offered to the customers for free.


I took a lot of pictures of items that I thought were good buys but I do not want to photobomb (I am not sure if I am using this term correctly) you this afternoon so I will leave those for Part 2.

Good afternoon.  Hope you have Terlingua Dreams this evening. 😴



Aunty Acid



6 comments:

  1. I looked it up and saw that Soriana is 100% Mexican owned. I had heard that about Aurrera being another Walmart, so got curious about Soriana. Sounds like Soriana may be the place to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are in fact 100% Mexican owned and headquartered in Torreón, Coahuila. They have great bargains and I plan to shop here again.

      The only reason I would go to the mall (where Bodegas Aurrera is located) is that I had access to the bank, an indoor Exchange House, a food court, beauty salons, movies, and several stores.

      Delete
  2. You had a busy day. Glad you were able to get the male cat fixed before he makes more kittens.
    Nice looking store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a lot out of me to make two trips to México on a very hot day. Maybe it was fate that allowed me to catch Donald first and put an end to his kitten-making.

      On another note, I finally got to watch Campervan Kevin move his cabin from New Mexico to Arizona. I like that he is always upfront with his viewers and tells us how much he pays for things and I appreciate that.

      Delete
  3. Nice to be able to do two things while crossing the Border and saving money.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.