Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, June 11, 2022

Overslept / HEB grocery haul

I am usually awake before 6:00 a.m. and just wait for daylight so I can go outside to feed the cats, and water the trees before the sun comes up. This morning I was surprised when I turned to look at the clock and it was past 8:00 a.m.

I got my morning chores taken care of and headed for HEB before the crowds arrived. I was still sleepy so decided to stop at Stripes and buy myself some "real coffee". My friends make fun of me because I drink decaffeinated but those of you that have been reading me for a while know that my system just can not handle regular coffee. It must be inherited because neither did my late father nor any of my maternal relatives including my mother.

As is usually the case I bought more than I intended but that is par for the course. I can not pass up a bargain and I found quite a few today.

The first being HEB's family-size 26 oz. soups on sale for $1.12



HEB no salt added beans...




Some canned sliced carrots since I prefer them to real or frozen ones and at .58 cents a can you can not go wrong.


Apart from Vienna sausages, I do not care for Spam either for the same reason that I mentioned in the comment section of my prior post. Being that they had a special on the ones having 25% less sodium and Spam Lite with 50% less fat, 25% less sodium, and 33% fewer calories for only $3.00 each, I picked up a few and figure I can always donate them to a food bank if I do not eat them.



I picked up HEB's brand of Hill Country Fare Beef Stew in large size for only $3.68 and it is tasty.


I bought some Unsweetened Decaffeinated Iced Tea but the price in the photo is for the other tea. I can not find my receipt at the moment to quote the correct price but it was in the four-dollar range and well worth it.


The price of gasoline has not gone up. Unleaded remains at $4.49 and Diesel at $4.99 per gallon. I do not know why I can never get the price of gasoline to show correctly on my pictures...sorry about that!



Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid



6 comments:

  1. I see you didn't buy any Juanita's Hot and Spicy menudo. Its on sale for $1.59 regular price is $3.18. I commented last night but i guess the comment didn't get published or i hit the wrong key.

    I see you bought some Spam. Have you ever tried putting a thin slice of fried Spam on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Not bad if you are real hungry, They used to make something similar to Spam called Treet now that was awful.

    I don't eat Spam, Vienna Sausages (Imported From Europe) nor Potted Meat . I get real bad heart burn. Anyway, stay cool and out of the heat. I's 105 right now in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading your comment I went back and looked at my "comments in moderation file" and made sure yours was posted...I am sorry about that!

      Though I have never considered myself to be a picky eater, I do not like Spam, Vienna Sausages, Potted Meat, or peanut butter. As a kid, I refused to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and preferred plain old mayo sandwiches...yes, I know I'm weird :-D

      We are currently at 104 degrees and it is stifling hot outside. I was fighting with Nicolas (the only cat that is allowed to come into the kitchen) because he wanted to be outside...go figure!

      Delete
    2. Hey, I don't think mayo sandwiches are weird. When I was a kid, mayonnaise was more expensive than Miracle Whip. So we had Miracle Whip and called it mayonnaise, and I did love a piece of bread with Miracle Whip on it. Still do. (As for Spam, I like that, though never had it growing up as my father said he'd had enough of that in the army in WWII. Anyway, Spam falls into the category of fat and salty, I like most things like that. Amazing I'm still here.) I never did know anybody who didn't like peanut butter. You're a first!

      Delete
    3. I have no idea what brand of mayo we ate all I know is that we bought it at HEB in Austin where we lived before my parents had the bright idea of moving to Del Rio and ruining my life.

      I dislike peanut butter, pecans, cashews, almonds, nuts, and anything with coconut or derivatives thereof. I would rather starve than eat peanut butter.

      I have always used mayo on anything and everything and gotten weird looks not only from my family but total strangers...jajajajaja :-D

      Delete
  2. WOW you did get some great buys in canned goods. I don't care for spam either but did pick up a couple cans just to store. I love the canned stew and have a few stored. I sure wish I was more motivated to try canning things for storage but no to much work and makes a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised to find such good deals on canned goods for as you know I can't cook to save my life!

      I suffer from insomnia so I resort to YouTube and choose videos that I have no interest in so they will bore me to sleep. One time I chose one showing how to can various items. Just my luck it was actually interesting and watched it for over an hour.

      You are right, it is too much work and not something my lazy self would enjoy doing but I now have high regard for those ladies and men that enjoy canning.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.