Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, June 26, 2022

June 2022 trip to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila - Part 2 - UPDATED

Click on the pictures to enlarge

This is the second part of the trip I took to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila this past Tuesday, June 21st. This post covers my shopping at Soriana a large Mexican store on the outskirts of town. I don't shop here often since it is a bit pricier than my go-to stores of Bodegas Aurrera, Gutiérrez, and Merco. Another plus of shopping at the aforementioned stores is that they have stores in at least two locations...near the central part of Acuña and in the outskirts where Soriana only has one store although its size makes up for it.


First a little background on Ciudad Acuña, it is the safest border in Texas you use to see a lot of tourists dining in restaurants, enjoying the nightlife, and shopping. There were numerous liquor stores in the tourist section of town since most tourists bought bottles to take back home as well as an ungodly number of pharmacies where you could buy prescriptions far lower than you could in the USA. However, after 9/11 and the requirement that American citizens now had to present a valid passport to return to the United States including at land points, the 2008 economic downturn, and the killing of a Coahuila State Police Commander said to be drug war-related brought tourism to a halt not just here but in all border towns.


When the tourists quit coming many famous restaurants like Mrs. Crosby's, bars, nightclubs, liquor stores, and pharmacies at the entrance to Ciudad Acuña (the tourist section) were forced to close. In the above picture, you can see the iconic sign still remains but alas the famous restaurant and bar are no more.  However, that was then and now the tourists are back in full force.

You are probably saying..." what does this have to do with shopping at Soriana? "...don't get impatient just wanted to give you a little background information first.


With the demise of liquor stores, many grocery stores picked up the slack, and one with the best selection of liquors, wines, and anything related to that is Soriana. If you want to know what these prices are in dollars simply divide the peso amount by $20.00 which was the going rate that Tuesday. Also, bear in mind that you have to pay Texas Liquor Tax when you bring it back and you are only allowed a one-liter bottle per person.

YouTube preppers tell you to buy Vodka to barter with...



Who knew that they had different flavors of Vodka?



Plenty of Tequila...


Guess what I found? If you have been reading me for a while you know that I have been trying to find Kahlua since 2019 at the other grocery stores I shop at and here it was. For a mere $200.00 pesos or $10.00 USD.


They also had Don Pancho Kahlua for $141.00 pesos or $7.05 USD.



Bailey's...I have never tasted it before...$3.95 USD


Clamato...$3.35 USD



I had never heard of Cuban-style Clamato...it did not have a price.


Now we are going in the opposite direction and focusing on tetra pak, regular, and powdered milk.



I bought a six-pack of Lala milk for $5.70 USD

$3.75 USD



Lots of powdered milk...



Well, we were going in that direction but my pictures are failing to upload for some reason 😠😖 Gosh, I hate technology...grrrrrr!!!!

I had no idea that they were having a special where you can buy three items but only have to pay for two. I purchased three 10-liter bottles of water for only $37.50 each or $1.88 USD.



I also bought my favorite hair color by Nutrisse for 56.00 pesos or $2.80 USD. At HEB they sell for $7.97 each. The savings just on this paid for the two tolls to cross the border and then some...I love to save money 😊



Folks, I think I am going to cut this post short as my computer and/or my pictures are not being cooperative. I started this post at 8:15 p.m. and it is now almost 11:10 p.m. and I am tired.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid



8 comments:

  1. That's a good price on everything but the Border Limit puts a damper on your ability to shop.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing that has a limit is liquor capped at one bottle per person but I seldom buy liquor except for a bottle of Kahlua or Tequila to take to Terlingua and share with my camp but I have not been in attendance in three years.

      You can bring back all the groceries you want as long as it's within reason. I bought a six-pack of Lala tetra packaged milk for $5.70 or .95 cents each. That is cheaper than the off-brand names selling at the Dollar Tree for $1.25.

      Does Canada have a limit on the amount of groceries you can bring back after a shopping spree in the USA?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your hard work in making this post! I was very interested. And in your photos and background on the town! I've only been through Acuna a couple of times and that was a long time ago, but not as long ago as some guys I knew in high school, whose great adventure was driving to Acuna one weekend. For the reasons mentioned in "The Last Picture Show." If you've ever seen that. A little slice of true life in small town west Texas. Glad you found some bargains!! Worth another trip, when you're up to it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed my post and photos. Ciudad Acuña has grown exponentially in the past four decades you would probably not recognize it.

      While I have never watched the movie you reference I know what you are talking about. You do not know how many men both in Houston and those who make their way to the Chili Cook-off have told me about "their right of passage" that took place in Acuña.

      Delete
  3. Sorry your having a problem with posting, last week it was me.
    I can't remember if there was always a restriction on liquor as it has been many, many years since I went there. I rarely drink milk anymore since I quit sweets. LOL but the prices look really good. Come to think of it I don't even drink anymore, dang what happened to that party girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I was having issues posting. I do not know if it was my computer or Blogger as some pictures stopped posting or were posted as blank images. However, the next day I did not encounter any problems...go figure!

      We eat a lot of cereal so have to have plenty of milk on hand. That is why I wanted to purchase treta pak as well as powdered milk in case there are shortages of real milk in the future.

      I don't really like liquor except for an occasional frozen margarita but I have not had one in years! I am more of a beer drinker but have not had one of those in two years...so don't feel like the lone ranger...this party girl has also gone MIA :-(

      Delete
    2. I love cereal and really wanted to buy some then I read the carb count and put it back . I never was a beer drinker couldn't stand the taste, but of course if that's all there was I would choke it down LOL

      Delete
    3. JO, I am lazy and I can not cook...if I could not eat cereal I would starve to death :D

      I am weird as a kid I never liked candy or sugary drinks. Always preferred bitter-tasting food like pickles that is why I think when I became an adult I loved the taste of beer. My girlfriends were more ladylike and drank wine but I found it to be too sugary for me...but if that is all there was...I drank it without complaints :-)

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.