Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, August 24, 2019

Infernal heat / Sagging clothesline / South of the Equator

I am so sick and tired of being cooped up in a house.  If not for appointments or must do things I only go outside to feed and water the boys or to hang fine washables on my sagging clothesline (more on that later). I had high hopes of at least a passing shower yesterday afternoon as the skies looked menacing toward the north but only that portion of Val Verde County was the beneficiary of some good soaking rains.

We have been in the triple digits for days if not weeks.  Today we had a high of 100 with a low of 77 and a heat index of 106 degrees.  By West Texas standards that is low, though tomorrow it is forecasted to reach 104 and Monday 108 and those are REAL temperatures not heat index ones.
https://www.accuweather.com/

Decided why not take advantage of this heat and put it to work to save ME money.  So handwashed one of my newer winter jackets. A while back I had found some new dog tie out cable that I had not used when I still had Pedrito (one of my stray dogs) so put it to use as a new clothesline.

Unfortunately, the dog tie-out cable...happen to stretch...and now the whole clothesline sags. When I hung the jacket it almost reached the ground though I had wrung it several times.  Gave up found a heavy-duty clothes hanger and hung it from one of the shade trees to dry.  At the laundromat it would have cost me a couple of quarters to dry...in the tree, it cost me nothing!  Where is my Tall Weathered Cowboy who can fix things like this????

I have often mentioned on this blog that I would like to go to another country during the summer months to escape these infernal temperatures and I had in mind Canada.  However, after following several Canadian bloggers it turns out that Canada gets just as hot as West Texas during the summer which came as a total surprise to me...goes to show Blogs can teach you more than a couple of things!

So I am back to the only alternative I had to start with...south of the Equator where it is currently winter and my second favorite country...one I actually lived in as a child...Argentina!  Please do not ask me any questions as to WHY we lived there as that is not something I care to go into at this time. I was a three-year-old and did not have a say so in the matter.

My third country of choice would be Uruguay after watching an HGTV show and where the finances could actually work.

I guess it is all dreaming on my part but it makes for a blog entry when I have nothing else to write about :D

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



4 comments:

  1. We have had a slight reprieve from the heat for the past 2 days and I called my daughter and said lets go out to lunch and shopping. it was still pretty hot but not like it had been. Of course we are headed right back into the triple digits by Monday but wouldn't surprise me if we hit it tomorrow.
    Good move with the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you got a chance to go out with your daughter in spite of the high temperatures.

      I do not know how in the world I ever put up with this when I was younger.

      I suppose it has something to do with my age and no longer being able to handle this heat :-(

      Delete
  2. Our hot weather only lasted a while and has cooled down a lot., the 50s overnight and 70's during the day. You could get some cooler weather there in the states just but heading north west too the higher elevations in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From reading yours and other blogs it seems like it has lasted a while. I was surprised that people have swimming pools in Canada and that it can get into the triple digits.

      I don't know about heading northwest it seems like the heat touched every part of the nation. I do not own an RV or a trailer and it is doubtful I ever will as I do not have the knowledge to be able to operate or drive either one.

      I can only rent a property for six months which is how long most countries give you a visa for.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.