Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Early Appointments / August 2019 trip to Mexico / Got Scalped

I have had early morning appointments for three days in a row.  With these hot temperatures, I have not had a choice as it is much better to get them out of the way in the morning than in the heat of the day.

Yesterday (Tuesday - August 20th) I had to get up early to get my blood work done in Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila.  The lab I go to is located next to a private hospital that also houses several doctor's offices and though they do not open until 9:00 a.m. people show up early so they can have their blood work results by the time they are seen by their doctor of choice.

I learned my lesson after not arriving early in the past and having to wait up to five hours to get my results instead of the usual three to four hours.  For those new, to my blog, my Nurse Practitioner allows me and other patients who do not have insurance to get our labs done in Mexico.

It has been a while since I have been to Mexico or made a grocery run to Gutierrez on Harvest Tuesday.  Another plus was there were not as many people at this early hour. Bought several heads of lettuce, tomato, serranos, white onion, bananas, yogurt, low-fat milk, canned black beans, guacamole sauce and carrot cake (my glucose levels must have been low forcing me to buy it)!

As I was checking out I spotted a beauty shop I had not seen and or noticed before. Our current hairdresser moved to a new location and I have not been able to find it.  It is on a very busy street and it would require me parking the car and walking to be able to locate it...perhaps when temperatures are cooler?

Went out to the car to put the groceries in the ice chest and returned to the store to get a much-needed haircutOMG...she was a master with those scissors...within two minutes she chopped-off all my hair!  I was in shock, I told her I did not want it so short.  She said...you told me to trim it...and you NEEDED a trim...don't worry it will soon grow back, I have a good hand!

The Exchange Rate on Tuesday (not the official one) but the one at Exchange houses was $18.80 Mexican pesos to ONE US dollar.  This is what my hair-cut cost...

80.00 Mexican Pesos divided by 18.80 =  $4.26  USD for a hair-cut
20.00  Mexican Pesos divided by 18.80 = $1.06  USD for tip

So I spent $100.00 Mexican Pesos for a haircut and tip the equivalent of $5.32 USD.  That made me feel a little bit better about being scalped :-)

I think the heat and the fact that school started once again on Monday that made for fewer crowds. It took me all of three minutes to cross the border back into the United States.

Today we had a high of 102, a low of 78, with a heat index of 105 degrees.


12 comments:

  1. A $5 haircut and a quick trip back to the US... the hair will grow back and it's the warm time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt Rob, I lucked out on those two things.

      Delete
  2. Always good prices for most things in Mexico nice to get those things out of the way, and shirt hair for this hot weather will help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping in Mexico definitively helps our family budget not just with groceries but with medical costs and even haircuts.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed reading about your trip to shop and your haircut. Your hairdresser sounds like a woman who knows what's best for her customers. I wonder how many return....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha!

      This hairdresser whom I had never met before certainly seemed to think she knew what was "best" for me. I do not know how many return customers she might have...but I certainly won't be one of them!

      After I got home and got over the shock...all I could do was laugh. I will never be "unfaithful" to our years long hairdresser EVER again!

      I am not saying she did a bad job, I just did not want my hair to be cut so short. I dislike short hair on myself and our regular hairdresser would have never done that without asking me several times to confirm it.

      Delete
  4. I agree that summer is a good time to get your hair cut short. I have been wondering about letting mine grow a little longer but won't have the patience to do it. I really envy you being so close to the border that you can go back and forth so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wanted a trim but this lady went ballistic and left me practically bald! Your hair grows fast...mine not so much :-(

      I do enjoy the fact that living along the border gives me alternatives in particular on the health care front.

      I had not been to Mexico in a while because of my pet peeve of avoiding lines at all cost. However, when I can save $400.00 by having my labs done in Ciudad Acuña I will bite the bullet but got lucky on being able to cross the border at a record time of three minutes.

      Delete
  5. You should post a pic of your new "do".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know that is NOT happening. The last time I posted one of my "new do" it was taken by my "real hairdresser"...there was no way I was going to ask this lady to photograph me. Aside from the fact that I no longer have a camera and my cell phone does not work in Mexico so I just leave it in the car.

      Delete
  6. I hate hairdressers who thing they know whats best and they don't even know how to cut certain styles. But yes it will grown back and I hope you can find your regular stylist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate those know it all hairdressers as well JO. By the time I need another haircut, it should be winter though we hardly have one of those at least I should be able to walk around until I find her new beauty shop.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.