Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, August 30, 2019

Julio's goes Nationwide

With these temperatures, I have not been doing much to blog about.  Drove into town to pick up some groceries to tie us over for the long holiday weekend as I do NOT plan to leave the house.

On my last trip to Ciudad Acuña, I bought several heads of lettuce at the equivalent of .42 American cents. Today I purchased one for $1.29 at HEB...I could have bought three for the same price in Mexico.

Avocados are very expensive so passed on them and I can not buy them in Mexico as you can not legally bring them back to the USA.  I even bought me a bottle of wine.  Though I must admit I kept on hearing the voice of my late mechanic saying to me..."Belinda why are you buying f*#)&#g wine when you prefer beer?".  Potty mouth and all...I sure do miss him :-(

I do not know what they are called, you know the machines where you buy newspapers from.  Anyway, I spotted a headline of interest on the Del Rio News-Herald outside of HEB...but since I am frugal...passed on buying it and decided to head to the library to read it for free.  If Billy Bob still reads my blog I am convinced that he would be cracking up by now.  I do not recall his exact saying but something to the effect of being so tight I needed to be wound?  Lol, Billy Bob, I miss you and your blog!

This was the headline that I wanted to read.  It makes me so proud but mostly because it shows that hard work and effort can pay off and it puts Del Rio on the national map.


Wherever you are reading me from if you see a Julio's product you know they come from Del Rio, Texas.  Wish Don Julio had lived to see this day.



Today we had a high of 104, low of 77. 


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


18 comments:

  1. I always called them newspaper machines. It's been a long time since I bought a paper from one of them. Hmm, it was some little town in central Florida this winter, I like the local news.
    I'll bet the air conditioner in the library felt good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual I am too lazy to Google it but you know what I mean. Yes, the air conditioner felt wonderful at the library. Wish my budget would allow me to keep it as cold as they do there.

      Delete
  2. Nice to get stocked up before the busy long weekend. I will keep and eye our for Julio's products when we head south. I know Billy Bob still reads my blog, I post it on facebook as well and he makes the odd comment once or twice a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not do good in crowds so was glad I got it out of the way. Suzie is lucky that you enjoy doing the shopping.

      I am impressed George, I can barely upload a couple of pictures to this blog and you post a lot of pictures to yours and then repeat it on Facebook, it must take you a lot of time and effort.

      Glad to hear that Billy Bob is still out there on the blogsphere and in social media though I do not do Facebook.

      Delete
    2. I enjoy shopping when the stores are quiet, mainly because I do the cooking. I spend about a hour a day in total on the blog. Because I enjoy it and have the time.

      Delete
    3. An hour a day on a blog with as many pictures and content as yours is impressive. Keep it up you are doing a great job.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. What put them on the map was their chips and salsas which were sold at HEB. They also produce pork skins, queso and a variety of seasonings.

      On September 16, 2019 they will go nationwide after signing a contract with Walmart.

      Delete
    2. Julio's is going to be on this week's TV show "Texas Bucket List".

      Delete
    3. Thank you Andy for having given the blog readers advance notice and hopefully some got to watch it.

      Delete
    4. The whole show was good and the Julio's segment made me wish I could go to Del Rio and sample a chip right off the production line like Shane did.

      Julio's chips are definitely distinctive in flavor and I love them. His son will have a challenge keeping up with Walmart's demand. I feel his little yellow building on the eastside will have to expand to keep up!

      Delete
    5. Just finished watching it on Fox Channel 11 from San Antonio. For some reason, I figured it would a little more detailed but good nonetheless.

      The newspaper article states that they are expanding production with a new state of the art facility in Del Rio, tripling its current capacity. It will also utilize nine outside manufacturing facilities to satisfy the demand.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the heads up Andy V! Perfect timing! This is exciting news for Julio's family.

    https://thetexasbucketlist.com/2019/08/this-weekend-on-the-texas-bucket-list-julios-corn-chips-henderson-kane-general-store-and-larry-bruce-gardens/

    It comes on at 5 today on KPRC here. It's on KABB FOX 29 for you Ms. B right now! Hurry! (You have several SA stations to choose from, though, if you miss it - there's one this afternoon.)

    https://thetexasbucketlist.com/where-to-watch/


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link Leilani. Unfortunately, we got unexpected company and I was late reading this comment.

      However, on the link it gives an option to watch the episode, so perhaps this was not the first time it aired?

      Delete
  5. I'll watch out for Julio if his products reach Sacramento. I really wish I could just cross the border whenever I felt like it..

    So sick of hot weather - I'm "jeans and sweatshirt" kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I often bi*#& about the long lines to cross the border, I truly feel fortunate to be able to live so close by.

      I also benefit from the dollar to peso rates and that is huge for the family budget. Besides Del Rio is the safest border in Texas. I have never been fearful to go to Ciudad Acuña.

      I am beyond sick of this hellish weather but at least for this area we will be experiencing them until late October.

      Delete
  6. Well I'll have to watch for Julio's stuff at Walmart.
    I should have gone shopping early this morning but I found a few more cooked things in the freezer. Maybe I'll go early Monday for some fresh veggies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julio's products are very addictive particularly the chips but at least if I ever go to another state I can always go to Walmart and buy a little piece of Del Rio and feel very proud of that.

      It is always good to be able to eat stuff one already has in the freezer. At least Monday morning will not be as bad as shopping this weekend.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.