Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, August 5, 2019

El Paso Strong

I hesitated on whether or not to make a post about the tragic events that took place this weekend in El Paso, Texas and sadly a few hours later in Dayton, Ohio less than a week after another mass shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in California.

Besides this being my Blog it is also my Cyber Journal. The events that took place on Saturday shook MY world, affected my beloved State of Texas targeted people of Hispanic origin that live along the border such as myself and my loved ones.

My morning routine is to turn on the television to my favorite 24-hour news channel as I set about doing my morning chores.  It did not take long before there was Breaking News that there were multiple shooters in an El Paso mall,  according to witnesses they had spotted three to four individuals running with guns.

As in most early events, the reports were not totally accurate but the sickening feeling in my stomach was so ever-present.  Most cable channels do not report fatalities unless it can be verified but the internet was full of reports.  When I saw that at least 20 people were reported dead I did not believe it. Sadly it was later confirmed.

I wish I could say I was shocked but I am not it was an event that due to our current political climate and the rhetoric coming from this Administration was bound to take place.  I am not going to rehash all the nasty, racists tweets and statements, all that is public record.

If the perpetrators of the last three mass shootings HAD NOT been young white males born in the United States it makes my head spin how fast this administration would have attacked them.  Instead, we had SILENCE, a short tweet in between other insignificant ones and no address to the Nation. Any other administration would have canceled their weekend plans and been the Comfort-in-Chief but we have learned not to expect that from this president.  After all, the majority of the victims in Gilroy and El Paso were Hispanic and the victims in Dayton, Ohio were African-American.  Coincidence?

I ask myself how does a young person develope so much hatred when they were raised in a predominantly white and affluent neighborhood totally unaffected by Hispanics?  How can an individual drive for ten hours to inflict carnage on an innocent border city and not have second thoughts about the repercussions his actions will have?

I do not want to hear he had mental issues, was influenced by the internet and video games.  Those are talking points of the NRA.  Why did the president not address gun control?  I will tell you WHY...Republicans are bought and paid for by the NRA.  When are we going to stand up to them?  What is it going to take to pass some form of gun control like a background check?

I know it makes people uneasy to think that Democrats are going to take their guns...but that is NOT true.  I myself am a gun owner but it would never cross my mind to own a high potency rifle such as an AK-whatever number.  Those are rifles to be used in war, not for hunting or personal protection.

If the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre of innocent children did not move legislators to pass gun legislation NOTHING is.  I have no hope that the last three mass shootings will move the needle, call me a pessimist but I would rather call myself a "realist"...there IS a difference.

I, as well as many of my friends, were glued to the television following this unfortunate event.  I dare say that there were many viewers not just from Texas but nationwide that followed the coverage of both events.  I bet if you were to interview individuals from any part of the nation they could easily name the two cities involved.  What did the President of the United States do when he has access to top advisors and the latest intelligence reports?...it saddens me to say...he confused Dayton, Ohio with Toledo...INEXCUSABLE!!!

This white supremacist not only killed American citizens but also took the lives of seven Mexican Nationals who were shopping at Walmart for back to school supplies. Let me clarify what I mean by Mexican Nationals...they are NOT undocumented aliens...they are Mexican citizens mostly from Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua - México with visas that can legally cross the border and often do so to shop in El Paso.

I urge all my fellow Texans, Americans and concerned citizens to make your voice be heard.  Call your local representatives, congressmen, senators, and governors.  If they do not listen to you...VOTE THEM OUT...we do not have to put up with this...we have a choice.

Please, I urge you to use the most valuable resource that we have as American citizens...the power of our VOTE.

21 comments:

  1. I've wondered what caused these people to crazy. Who in their right mind thinks it's ok to do what has been done these last 20 years? Why?
    I wonder what meds all these mass murders have been taking. From Columbine in '99 up these crazies this last weekend. Why?
    This is just so sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This murderer is 21 years old, he was a baby in 1999. The difference was that the Columbine murderers did not have a Manifesto nor were they White Supremacists.

      The reasons for what has taken place in the last 20 years have CHANGED. The perpetrators are no longer bullied individuals who are trying to get even with their classmates but sick people that have been radicalized on the internet and now have a pass from the highest office in our nation and the biggest pulpit in the world.

      This administration has fueled racism and hate. I am not saying that the president created racism, that has been alive and well since the beginning of time but he has certainly legitimized it and continues to fuel its flames.

      To say it is "sad" is to say that we need to feel sorry for this deranged individual. I do not feel sorry for the MF...it is sickening and WRONG and it has to STOP!

      Delete
    2. The murders were sad.
      Where the insanity came from that told all these people over the last 20 years that it was OK to murder is what I wonder about.

      Did that last 21 yr old take meds to adjust his mind & behavior over his life? I can't find out and no one seems to care WHY this is happening.

      This other than current political crap that will pass in a few years is being used to distract us & it works.
      The republic survived Clinton, it survived Bush, with luck it will survive Trump.

      20 years of this type of murder and no cares WHY it's happening!

      Delete
    3. You are missing the point, Rob...yes, these deranged killers had issues. What I care about is LEGISLATION to prevent sickos like him from obtaining a gun, in particular, assault-style weapons.

      We need background checks and a ban on weapons that can kill 9 persons in less than a minute like happened in Dayton, Ohio. How can an individual who has had problems since high school and who had a kill list for males and a rape list for females be able to purchase a weapon?

      After the mass shooting in Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida on February 14, 2018, the President on national television said to Congress that they were afraid of the NRA but he wasn't and he was going to bring forth legislation.

      What happened? The very next day he met with the NRA and came out with his tail in between his legs and NOTHING happened.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I explained my reasons for this post though since it is MY blog I did not NEED to.

      I am a Woman, a Mexican-American, a Minority and I will be DAMMED if I am going to be silenced by any individual, white supremacist or political party though I am an "Independent".

      I seldom make political statements but I believe in standing up for my believes even if they are not popular with my readership.

      Delete
    2. You are completely correct and I will back you totally on your right to make this a political blog as you have chosen. Have a nice night.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe anyone who has any intelligence can still back what is going on in a racist, White House. I'm with you Ms. Belinda. If people can't see what is going on then this will continue, the hatred will grow and it is killing this once beautiful and mighty Country. these horrible guns that are sold on the internet to anyone who wants one is sickening. Like you sad these guns are for fighting wars not personal ownership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, there are many stupid, blind and spineless individuals. To make it clear I am referring to our politicians in the majority led Senate who have failed their Oath of Office and put Party over Country. They are more concerned with getting re-elected than fighting for the people that put them in office.

      I can not believe how they can live with themselves. I so respect the few Republicans that had the courage to speak out. Even though by doing so it has cost them politically like Republican Will Hurd whom I voted for and hold in high esteem. He has chosen not to seek re-election because he can not bring himself to keep defending the current Administration.

      I so hope that out of this tragedy some concrete gun legislation can emerge but I am not hopeful.

      Delete
  4. I support your views on this as well, though not American I have no vote in these issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may not be an American but I value your opinion as well as the opinion of readers from other nations who are impartial and can see what is going on without the bias and divisiveness.

      Delete
  5. I agree with you 100%, Ms. Belinda! I get tired of wondering just how low this president can go, but it appears there is no limit to the depths he can reach. That goes for his buddy Mitch McConnell as well. Right now, I don't see a lot of reason to be optimistic about the future of this country. Sadly, the fact that this tyrant could be elected in the first place, and still hold office, speaks to what our country has become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started on Mitch McConnell, he has been reduced to a lap dog who does the admininstrations bidding with the only hope of getting a pat on the head.

      He has held up so much gun control legislation that statistics have shown would have bipartisan support in the Senate. Unfortunately, he is very popular in his home state of Kentucky so I do not see him being voted out.

      Like yourself I am not optimistic about the future of our nation but I am going to keep trying by getting involved in the political process as a volunteer in the presidential campaigns of candidates that I consider share my views and values.

      Thank you for your comments CordiaG.

      Delete
  6. This hits close to your home in many ways. You should express yourself, we can't keep quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly hits close to home Martha Graham in more ways than one. That is why I refuse to be silenced. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  7. I normally don't have trouble putting anything into words, but am completely baffled by this situation. Asking how, and why cannot get any answers. People who commit these kinds of crimes are downright mean and hateful, and just like some of our politicians who are also mean and hateful. They have been seething and keeping it relatively low key since Lyndon Johson signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964. They were just waiting for someone with their views to become President, and now they sure have him.

    McConnell reportedly hates being called "Moscow Mitch", so I urge everyone to ALWAYS refer to him as Moscow Mitch. We need to come up with a similar name for the traitor in chief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember a time not so long ago when there was "civility" in politics. I wonder if we will ever get that back?

      I hope that we can get bipartisan support for common-sense gun control legislation, not so much for me as I am in the tail-end of my life but for the younger as well as future generations.

      I grew up in the '60s when we had practice drills in case of tornadoes. The kids now days have grown-up with "active shooter" drills.

      In the past two years, Texas has had THREE mass shootings. In a church in Sutherland Springs, a High School in Santa Fe and now a Walmart in El Paso.

      If you can not be safe in your place of worship, your school or a local store...where are you supposed to be safe?

      Come on "Moscow Mitch" bring to a vote in the Senate those common-sense gun legislation that passed the Congress with bipartisan support and that YOU are stalling.

      Delete
  8. People just do not understand how they are effected by social media. If you click "Like" on a tRump post...all future meme's you see will be just a bit racist, just a bit negative, just a bit Fake News. People are being manipulated buy what pops up on their social media to enforce what ever the Meme's purpose is. This country needs critical thinking more than anything. I am begging people not to read something and believe it as fact.. research. Is it timely or some crap from ten years ago, who will it hurt, what is the agenda. After all the ICE raids in Missouri why have none of the employers (Corporations) been taken to task. I just want to chew nails~!!! I have stopped all social media but have to go to FB a few times a week as my grandkids are there. Just no longer post or argue facts with glazed over Cheeto eaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frann thank you for explaining how Meme's work in social media as I had no idea not having an account of my own and very thankful for that.

      It is bad enough having to watch it on television. That little girl crying after her dad was taken into custody in the Mississippi ICE raids still haunts me. 680 undocumented workers arrested and yet not ONE Company official charged. WHY?

      I get that we are a country of laws but why are the laws not applied equally to all those involved?

      Thank you for commenting in this political and very charged topic.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.